The Student Room Group
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website

DMU Accommodation 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarahmiriam
Just wondering if you know what they're like on people staying over night in Victoria? And also do you know much about the Semi-Deluxe Rooms as that's what I'm going for I think. :smile:

Booking day for Conditionals needs to arrive sooner! :smile:

They're fine with people staying over, you could sneak people in like some do, but they prefer it if people are signed in at reception (Just in case of fires or things when they need to know how many people are there etc). I don't think there's really a limit for how long people can stay either, obviously not for weeks at a time but I had my little sister stay over for a couple of days and they were fine with it because I signed her in. I don't really know much about semi deluxes, just bigger room, more space and i'm pretty sure a bigger bed.

Anything else let me know =)
De Montfort University
De Montfort University
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 41
I heard its right next to Leicester accommodation :smug:
Original post by Charley_Razzles

Any other questions let me know =)

haha first of all i would like to say thank you for all the info. you are a savior:wink:

So to book a room we need to do a provisional booking and then once it is done we have to do a confirmed booking.for the confirmed booking we fill a form and send back to victoria halls. and this form need to be sent with in 30 days. and we have to include details about how we will pay the first installment. either by card or by cheque.

so did you have to pay the first installment within 30 days from provisional booking or did they give you time up to 1st August like they have mentioned in their website?

and do we get the same rooms that we book online when we do confirmed booking?

and is it true that there is checking of electrical equipments when we first move into our rooms? are there any charges?

sorry that's a bunch of questions:tongue:
Original post by shereez234
haha first of all i would like to say thank you for all the info. you are a savior:wink:

So to book a room we need to do a provisional booking and then once it is done we have to do a confirmed booking.for the confirmed booking we fill a form and send back to victoria halls. and this form need to be sent with in 30 days. and we have to include details about how we will pay the first installment. either by card or by cheque.

so did you have to pay the first installment within 30 days from provisional booking or did they give you time up to 1st August like they have mentioned in their website?

and do we get the same rooms that we book online when we do confirmed booking?

and is it true that there is checking of electrical equipments when we first move into our rooms? are there any charges?

sorry that's a bunch of questions:tongue:

Yeah that's how I booked mine, with the provisional then the confirmed form. Except my payment details went with my application.

Nah, they give you until the 1st August to pay the first intallment. I think a lot of people would be pissed if they didn't haha.

Yup, the room from the provisional booking is the one you get =)

Yes but it's not just the electrical equipment it's everything in the flat, equipment, walls, floors, ceiling, everything. In your room when you move in there's a bunch of forms (and a little 'survival pack' with chocolate and mountain dew and a mini bottle of tabasco sauce in haha) Anywhoo.... one of the forms is a bunch of papers that has everything in the flat and your room listed with space to write if anything is broken/not working/chipped/scratched/dented etc so that you can write if anything is wrong and that way Victoria Hall can either fix it or make a note that the dent or whatever was already there so they don't chip into your damage deposit at the end of your tenanacy, if all that babble makes sense haha.

There's no charges for you if what is broke or not working was that way before you moved in.

Oh and heres a tip, you have seven or ten days to hand back the inventory form, wait until the end of the seven or ten days to hand it in, a lot can happen during freshers week, so it's best to hold off on submitting the form.

I hope this makes at least a bit of sense. Any more questions let me know =)
Reply 44
I'll be staying in Bede hall E-1-06, do I have any roomies yet? :smile:
Reply 45
Quick question, please answer!

I am looking for good en-suite accommodation near the art&design department. Which halls would you recommend? (The cheaper the better obviously)

PS It's for my sister btw

Thanks!:smile:
Reply 46
Original post by GnMvP
Quick question, please answer!

I am looking for good en-suite accommodation near the art&design department. Which halls would you recommend? (The cheaper the better obviously)

PS It's for my sister btw

Thanks!:smile:

Not sure what the prices are for the next academic year, however good en-suite accomodation, near to the art and design department;

Newarke Point
Victoria
Grosvenor
Reply 47
Original post by YorkieAndy
Not sure what the prices are for the next academic year, however good en-suite accomodation, near to the art and design department;

Newarke Point
Victoria
Grosvenor

thanks for the info!
I checked newarke point but it says it's sold out..

Victoria looks good though!
I have sent off my Victoria halls booking form like 15 days ago and i still haven't received an email from them. Just today DMU are saying i have 5 days left to confirm my provisional booking otherwise it will be lost.

I cant believe it takes them this long to email me some login details for E-Induction. I hope DMU don't cancel my booking even though im waiting to hear from them!
It's probably in the queue to be processed, but I assume they most likely work from when it was sent off rather than when they get round to it in terms of enforcing the deadline. Doesn't mean they won't fill up before getting to yours if it's at the bottom of the pile, though.

Ring them if need be. They don't volunteer as much info as I might like, but are pretty prompt if you actually ask them.

I was told the e-induction comes later though - what paperwork have you sent in? Tenancy agreements and such?
Yeah the guarantors form, tenancy agreement etc. It was all in a booklet for Victoria Halls and when its processed I should get an email with login details for E-induction.

The whole thing is pretty unclear, i just hope the uni realises that i have sent it all off and wont cancel the booking.
yeah i am also waiting for the e-induction information. they said to check daily for e-mails from them..
Yeah, you just have to wait then.

I queried Opal a couple of weeks ago about this....once you've sent off your signed contract you're all sorted, and they'll forward the e-induction stuff at a later date. If you don't ask they don't bother to confirm your booking though, which is a bit annoying.
I am thinking of booking a room at Grosvenor house, what is this I see about having to pay around 4,000 in advance? Have I read this wrong or would I actually have to pay 4,000 in one payment on August 1st?
If you're paying the full year up front, that's about 4k yeah.

You can also pay in installments of like 1200 quid a pop over the year though, unless you're getting a different deal for reasons I couldn't possibly think of.
Ok but why does it say...

The following payment will be required before you are able to move into your accommodation. You will not be able to use your student loan for the upfront payments as you receive your loan after you have enrolled on to your course.
Yeah, they seem to expect you to magic the money out of thin air. No idea why they've set it up like that.
Reply 57
Which the nearest accommodation to Hugh Aston building business and law anyone!? Is it Newarke Point Hall of Residence ?
Reply 58
i think it is.. it is literally only a 30 second walk if i remember rightly from my visit
x
Original post by Crazee'
Which the nearest accommodation to Hugh Aston building business and law anyone!? Is it Newarke Point Hall of Residence ?

It is...just about. Victoria is also very close to Hugh Aston as is Grosvenor...there are only seconds between them. xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending