Turn on thread page Beta

Overpopulation, man up and accept its the problem watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hardballer)
    It doesn't mater if you're in africa or anywhere else, if you can't afford to have a kid then don't give birth to them, rather than giving birth to them in the vain hope that they might be able to work the land if they don't die. Just don't bring them into such a deprived life.
    My whole point was that having more children brings in more wealth (not less) for certain communities (more children, larger source of labour and thereby productivity, etc.), hence why we are 'suffering', as you say, from overpopulation. In fact these communities often suffer when their women go infertile (as a result of lack of proper nutrition), hence they actually need more children. In other words, poverty is at the root of overpopulation and this is what needs to be tackled if you are genuinely concerned about overpopulation.

ReputationRep:
    Between 1980-1997:

- Global population increased by 1/3
    - Global consumption tripled

So no, overpopulation is not the only problem we have to solve. Increase in consumption out paces population growth.

ReputationRep:
    More western fallacy about high infant mortality in 'third world countries'

ReputationRep:
    The reason the white population is in decline is obvious.

White man + White Woman = White Baby Most Of The Time

White man + Black Woman = Mixed Raced Baby

Black man + White Woman = Mixed Raced Baby

Black man + Black Woman = Black Baby Most Of The Time

Then you have to consider that a lot of mixed raced people consider themselves black meaning a higher percentage of people being regarded statistically as black or mixed raced than white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Internet Toughguy)
    No we should not, the white population is already in decline, it is not white people that is contributing to over population
    Oh right sorry, I didn't realise I had to be racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spocckka)
    Oh right sorry, I didn't realise I had to be racist.
    It is not racism, it is a matter of fact.

The white population has been in decline for decades - FACT

White people are not contributing to over population - FACT

Exactly what is racist about observing the above FACTS ?

Do you actually even know what the word 'racism' means ?

ReputationRep:

Oh right OK, ignore the fact that people in the rich (majority white) countries currently consume many many times more resources per person than people in poorer (majority black) nations.

You can't say white people are not part of the problem when it is clear they are the biggest problem in all of this.

ReputationRep:

It does seem highly stupid to ask Europe to curb their breeding patterns, when India and Africa are set to create another few billion in the next few decades, which will cancel out any people not created by Europeans by a ratio of about 50:1. Especially when you consider both countries are semi-reliant on Europe and its money to feed themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cakefish)
    Oh right OK, ignore the fact that people in the rich (majority white) countries currently consume many many times more resources per person than people in poorer (majority black) nations.

You can't say white people are not part of the problem when it is clear they are the biggest problem in all of this.
    Hardly. They are reliant on our consumerism to keep rice and grain on the table, and our scientific prowess to make sure their food supplies aren't blighted and they are well medicated. O, and lets not forget when they double their population in 20 years and have a drought and then come knocking on our door for some more handouts. Of course, you could argue that the rich countries are responsible for the overbreeding of the poor areas, because if it weren't for them they would have 50:50+ infant mortality rates and less than 1% of them would top 30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    Plus we have an overpopulation of pets, rough estimates state that there are over a billion cats and dogs in Western countries. These animals don't eat the leftovers from the dinner table any more like they used to in the old times. The resources that we waste for them are considerable. I suggest we start by limiting their numbers, they would not have reached such a high number naturally. A pet living in a Western country consumes more resources than an African kid.
    Maybe pets don't eat the leftovers in your house, but in our house the dog has a bit.
    But surely it's the persons' fault for not finishing their dinner? Therefore the person is wasting resources, not the pet? Might want to think about your logic

And if you want to eat mashed up animal tongue and testicles then be my guest.

ReputationRep:
    The planet is not over populated. To quote a stat I read recently you could actually fit the entire population of the earth in Texas and each individual would have 1000 square feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    The planet is not over populated. To quote a stat I read recently you could actually fit the entire population of the earth in Texas and each individual would have 1000 square feet.
    The world IS overpopulated mongo

(Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Maybe pets don't eat the leftovers in your house, but in our house the dog has a bit.
    But surely it's the persons' fault for not finishing their dinner? Therefore the person is wasting resources, not the pet? Might want to think about your logic

And if you want to eat mashed up animal tongue and testicles then be my guest.
    You have forgotten to mention, energy wasted to manufacture, pack and distribute pet food, water contamination because of it, plastics created to accommodate pets, rabbit and other meat used towards pet food, energy wasted to run pet shops and vet clinics, all are there mostly because of the pet industry and not forget the latest craze of pet salons. I still stand by my opinion that a pet uses more resources than a child living in a 3rd world country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    You have forgotten to mention, energy wasted to manufacture, pack and distribute pet food, water contamination because of it, plastics created to accommodate pets, rabbit and other meat used towards pet food, energy wasted to run pet shops and vet clinics, all are there mostly because of the pet industry and not forget the latest craze of pet salons. I still stand by my opinion that a pet uses more resources than a child living in a 3rd world country.
    Oh of course yeah, I agree with you when you put it like that. My point was exclusive to the food thing, not the whole package

ReputationRep:
    ...do you actually believe that? I can't be bothered to look on Google Maps/Wikipedia, but I'm pretty sure that Texas is not at least 6 trillion square feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Hardly. They are reliant on our consumerism to keep rice and grain on the table, and our scientific prowess to make sure their food supplies aren't blighted and they are well medicated. O, and lets not forget when they double their population in 20 years and have a drought and then come knocking on our door for some more handouts. Of course, you could argue that the rich countries are responsible for the overbreeding of the poor areas, because if it weren't for them they would have 50:50+ infant mortality rates and less than 1% of them would top 30.
    They are only reliant on us because we made them that way, by firstly invading their countries, enslaving much of the population, taking all their resources when we left and then crippling them further with stupid levels of debt. It's known as neo-colonialisation.

The fact is we all need way more space than that to sustain us. Agriculture and cities take up stupid amounts of space. To quote a fact I was taught in a recent lecture of mine - Cropland takes up 11% of Earth's land surface and Pasture 23%. Now try and fit THAT into Texas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    ...do you actually believe that? I can't be bothered to look on Google Maps/Wikipedia, but I'm pretty sure that Texas is not at least 6 trillion square feet.

Here's the maths for you

Texas area = 267339 X (5280)^2
    = 7,452,732,672,000 sq.ft.
    Population of world = 6,600,000,000.
    Dividing area with population
    1129.2 0192 s.ft./person.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    They are only reliant on us because we made them that way, by firstly invading their countries, enslaving much of the population, taking all their resources when we left and then crippling them further with stupid levels of debt. It's known as neo-colonialisation.

The fact is we all need way more space than that to sustain us. Agriculture and cities take up stupid amounts of space. To quote a fact I was taught in a recent lecture of mine - Cropland takes up 11% of Earth's land surface and Pasture 23%. Now try and fit THAT into Texas!
    O no, I feel terrible now. That isn't exactly what every civilisation that has ever existed has done, we just happen to have done it in the most advanced way... How much time exactly has to pass before that's an excuse? The majority of colonial assets were given up 2 or 3 generations ago, and a fairly large number of ex-colonies are now extremely rich; which leads me to believe it is a problem that lies with the former colony itself, rather than anything to do with us.

ReputationRep:

That, my dear chap, is a problem of over consumption.

Besides, even of you did jam every person in Texas (which I'm not suggesting you do, btw) There's still an awful lot of space left.

ReputationRep:

Who was talking about white people?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.