Turn on thread page Beta

How do you get A-A*s in science A-levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do universities see a big difference between A grades and A* at GCSE ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.V.Evans)
    For medicine, Birmingham does have a threshold of minimum A*'s. But as far as I know, A-levels are much more important.

ReputationRep:
    I make a little presentation on a topic, let's say nucleophilic substitution. I put notes on revision cards and then make a powerpoint, then I make my mum sit there while I tell her all about it. You've got to understand the topic yourself to be able to teach it, and even when I'm explaining it, the things I don't quite get fully end up clicking.
    You remember:
    20% of what you read
    30% of what you hear
    40% of what you see
    50% of what you say
    60% of what you do
    and 90% of what you read, see, hear, say and do - pretty much teaching!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.V.Evans)
    I asked this to one of my teachers and he said that at every big uni conference he's been to, the Oxbridge admissions tutors and other admissions tutors say that 5 A's is the minimum requirement, nothing about how important A* are... A lot can change in 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    when's the right time to start revising for as exams? and any advice on chem OCR salters?

ReputationRep:
    past papers heck i just used mark schemes after a while
    but nevertheless repeat the mantra

past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    past papers are good
    etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmiah)
    Hi guys
    I've been revising really hard and keep thinking that I've cracked the revision formula each time but still end up getting good or high Bs in my exams - (despite getting As in mocks and class exams)
    For all of you who get high As and A*s in these subjects especially Biology and Chemistry
    How do you revise for it?
    Do you have a particular method or any good advice you can give me on how to attain A-A*s in these subjects?

And it's not that I don't revise enough or do exam practise - I do, I revise for hours everyday - but perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way

So any wise suggestions would be great guys and sincerely appreciated
    Did you do any January exams? If so, why don't you get the scripts back and go through them with a teacher. This will help your exam technique so that you know how to get more marks next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salliana23)
    Did you do any January exams? If so, why don't you get the scripts back and go through them with a teacher. This will help your exam technique so that you know how to get more marks next time.
    Yes thank you - I have already ordered them so that I can look through them and see how I did, because exam technique is what I think my weakest link is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nmiah)
    Hi guys
    I've been revising really hard and keep thinking that I've cracked the revision formula each time but still end up getting good or high Bs in my exams - (despite getting As in mocks and class exams)
    For all of you who get high As and A*s in these subjects especially Biology and Chemistry
    How do you revise for it?
    Do you have a particular method or any good advice you can give me on how to attain A-A*s in these subjects?

And it's not that I don't revise enough or do exam practise - I do, I revise for hours everyday - but perhaps I'm going about it the wrong way

So any wise suggestions would be great guys and sincerely appreciated
    Know everything in your specification-specific textbook; specification; and every mark-scheme (for every past paper) ever published.

That's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Two words: memorise mark schemes.

yeah i realised that i made that error

ReputationRep:
    PAST PAPERS!!!
    DO THEM AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!
    I got A* in all 3 sciences last year (GCSE AQA) and i thank it too all the paper i used up on those past papers!!

I also got an A in my physics unit 1 exam...again ,.....thanks so PAST PAPERS!!!!!
    enjoy

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.