iwantcheese5's Mazda RX-8 231 Watch

iwantcheese5
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I seem to be getting carried away with stickers....

Gifts to myself from Amazon arrived this morning:

It's basically a book full of nifty stickers anyway I had the bright idea of sticker-bombing my engine cover as the bay is pretty dull; the Renesis doesn't make for an exciting engine bay.

Various pictures of the sticker-bombing process:

Took it outside to spray some clear lacquer on it in the hope that it'll make the stickers last longer. Should also give a nice finish:

Fitted:

I'm assuming there'll be a fair few people out there that aren't a fan of this.... I think it makes the bay look more fun though.
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yep, I don't like sticker bombing at all, I would have just thrown the cover away and look at the engine personally.

But whatever floats your boat!
NOBODY MOVE!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iwantcheese5)
the patch along the top of this photograph, slightly right of center - not corrosion is it?! *prays that it is just a piece of dirt.....or chocolate*

ps: the only sticker i think is good/looks right where it is is the pedobear one..........though this is perhaps biased opinion,seeing as i have pedobear for a tax disc holder on my car.
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Yep, I don't like sticker bombing at all, I would have just thrown the cover away and look at the engine personally.

But whatever floats your boat!
There really isn't much of an engine to look at in the Rex, it's so far down and back that you can't see it. Does mean it has sexy weight distribution though.

(Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
the patch along the top of this photograph, slightly right of center - not corrosion is it?! *prays that it is just a piece of dirt.....or chocolate*

ps: the only sticker i think is good/looks right where it is is the pedobear one..........though this is perhaps biased opinion,seeing as i have pedobear for a tax disc holder on my car.
Sadly it is some corrosion, I think the previous owner must have nicked the paint at some point. I need to get it sorted but it's an annoyingly expensive thing to fix.
warrenpenalver
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
even if you grind it back and protect the metal and rattle can it for now, it might look rubbish but it will stop it getting worse until you can properly paint the panel.

if its a base colour with no flake and no clear coat then if you can borrow a machine polisher or get a mate to do it for you, even with rattle cans you could blend it in properly.
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by warrenpenalver)
even if you grind it back and protect the metal and rattle can it for now, it might look rubbish but it will stop it getting worse until you can properly paint the panel.

if its a base colour with no flake and no clear coat then if you can borrow a machine polisher or get a mate to do it for you, even with rattle cans you could blend it in properly.
After exams I'll probably have a go at getting the spoiler off and see what I can manage with a rattle can. I think my Dad's got a machine polisher so if I take my time I should be able to get a good enough finish. If had the time I'd consider changing the spoiler while I'm at it, the PZ spoiler is much nicer.
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by iwantcheese5)
I seem to be getting carried away with stickers....

Gifts to myself from Amazon arrived this morning:

It's basically a book full of nifty stickers anyway I had the bright idea of sticker-bombing my engine cover as the bay is pretty dull; the Renesis doesn't make for an exciting engine bay.

Various pictures of the sticker-bombing process:

Took it outside to spray some clear lacquer on it in the hope that it'll make the stickers last longer. Should also give a nice finish:

Fitted:

I'm assuming there'll be a fair few people out there that aren't a fan of this.... I think it makes the bay look more fun though.
you should now do the same to all the black plastic there
warrenpenalver
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
instead of sticker bombing how about make your own carbon parts. Carbon parts for jap cars are traditionally rediculously expensive due to "JDM" tax and because theres a lot of well off jap car fans who will pay silly money. Make a few bits for your car then sell a few on the side for pocket money.

Its what i do at the moment, only made a couple of different items and sold a couple of each and already its paid for all my carbon materials and paid for all the bits ive made for my own car plus meaning ive got a few hundred quids worth of materials in stock. Im barely advertising either, just posting on a thread about my car on car forums similar to what i do here, and people come to me. Just make bits others dont, or undercut the competition and youll sell stuff as carbon is in fashion at the moment and will also remain long term in fashion on the trackday scene.
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by Boristhethird)
you should now do the same to all the black plastic there
I thought about that but the other bits in the engine bay don't have the interesting features to make it look good in my mind, also it would be serious overkill There's a couple of bits of the interior that I'm eyeing up as potential candidates for 'bombing.

(Original post by warrenpenalver)
instead of sticker bombing how about make your own carbon parts. Carbon parts for jap cars are traditionally rediculously expensive due to "JDM" tax and because theres a lot of well off jap car fans who will pay silly money. Make a few bits for your car then sell a few on the side for pocket money.

Its what i do at the moment, only made a couple of different items and sold a couple of each and already its paid for all my carbon materials and paid for all the bits ive made for my own car plus meaning ive got a few hundred quids worth of materials in stock. Im barely advertising either, just posting on a thread about my car on car forums similar to what i do here, and people come to me. Just make bits others dont, or undercut the competition and youll sell stuff as carbon is in fashion at the moment and will also remain long term in fashion on the trackday scene.
I'd love to add some carbon fibre parts to my car, there's a properly tasty splitter I've seen but like you say it's all serious money. I don't think I could create something accurate enough for what I'd want though as it'd be things like bonnets and splitters.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Seibon are very good carbon fibre manufacturers for the S2k, they must do stuff for the RX-8. They are pretty reasonable, £500 for a carbon S2k Bonnet...
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
(Original post by gbduo)
Seibon are very good carbon fibre manufacturers for the S2k, they must do stuff for the RX-8. They are pretty reasonable, £500 for a carbon S2k Bonnet...
Seibon do loads for the car but £500 is still a lot of money, it's them that do the splitter I want as well. The CF boot looks tempting as well, especially as mine's got paint issues...
warrenpenalver
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
gbduo is that carbon throughout or the usual carbon skin on fibreglass??

A lot of places try and pass off a 10% carbon bonnet at 90% of the cost of a genuine 100% carbon one.
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
no no, full carbon bonnet.

Graham
warrenpenalver
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thats not too bad then, i guess we are getting a good deal out of the exchange rate!!

although after flicking through their website, someone needs to go over there and ***** slap them fools for using the phrases "wet carbon" and "dry carbon" as they clearly dont understand what they are talking about!! wet carbon is really wet laid in a mould and ironically uses a dry pure carbon fabric where as "dry carbon" they refer to pre-preg which is actually carbon sprayed with precise amounts of premixed resin so its actually wet LOL!! hence why pre-preg is frozen so the resin is just tacky rather than sticking and rubbing off on everything!
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
Just won me something rather nice for the Rex on ebay, should be here in a week or so
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
Well it was about time I did some real modifications to the car so I bought this off flea-bay:

The system has done 15,000 miles but it was much cheaper than new so it seemed like a good deal plus the system comes with a lifetime warranty (the lifetime of the first car it is fitted to I think...but that should still mean it's good for 50,000+ miles).

I didn't really realise just how big the tips were on the system....also it came with a RAD hat.

I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed that I could fit a large McDonald's cup in so easily...it's a better fit than the cupholders inside the car anyway....
gbduo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It will sound awesome though!

De cat next...
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
I think I'm going to have to do some exhaust videos :ahee:
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not jealous in the slightest...
iwantcheese5
Rep:
?
I finally got a chance to fit the new exhaust (there's nowhere to do something that major at Uni). The weather was ****e of course so AMD_Man and me had to create a makeshift tent around the back of the car, sadly the tarp' we chose was a tad holey... The old system wasn't too bad to remove, just some stubborn mounts - one ended up being cut off to save time as we were getting annoyed by that point, nearly killed ourselves from the smoke it produced when being cut...having a tarp over the car didn't help either, proper hot boxing situation. Fitting the new system was far, far easier except for tackling the spring bolt things that held the mid-pipe onto the cat, a mole grip fixed that issue eventually...anyway we got the bugger fitted in the end.

Fitted:

It sounds MUCH more interesting than the stock system, nice low rumble and louder high rpm whine/scream and it doesn't make too much noise at cruising rpm so motorway journeys won't be annoying. Best bit has to be that it pops on the over-run now, makes it sound badass when nailing it to join a motorway...bye bye fuel economy....

I can't really comment on any power increases but I wasn't really expecting any to be honest.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (56)
19.31%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (117)
40.34%
Nope, not that interesting (117)
40.34%

Watched Threads