Clarification with the report system: difference between "trolling" and "spamming" Watch

mau5
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mad Vlad)
I don't mean to sound like I'm criticising here, I'm genuinely interested in your response: Why are you so astounded that people report things to us? Why do you not report things?

The penalties are pretty stiff for abusing the post reporting system, actually.
It's just not in my nature to try and get others in trouble. I can't imagine ever getting offended by a post/topic on here that I'd feel the need to report it. Also there is a lot of inconsistancy with modding decisions so it seems a largely pointless exercise.
fleur de lis
Badges: 3
Report 7 years ago
It depends on how you look at it. You could look at it as trying to get others in trouble, or you could look at it as helping to keep the forum tidy and helping maintain the quality of the forum. Take H&R as an example - someone is asking for advice but their thread is being spammed and two people have taken over having an argument amongst themselves and dragging the thread off topic. Reporting the posts in this instance would surely be more about helping keep the thread tidy, clean and on topic so the OP can get the advice they're after without having to wade through pages of crap?

I agree that there has been inconsistency with modding decisions in the past, and although we have improved lately with better guides for the mods, there is still a way to go. We're also redesigning the warning system at the moment which should help a lot with consistency.
littleshambles
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I send post reports on occasion but mostly I leave the obsessive reporting to the people that obviously, desperately, want to be moderators. You know the ones.
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I remember the good old days when TSR had standards. Stupid threads didn't last 5 minutes.

Pull your socks up.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by F1 fanatic)
It's sad all the messages we write that never get read :p:
I read them.

Normally get a "What they did" then Thanks or a Cheers~ Choc...

Choc is the only original from the mods that deal with my reports it seems...

For some reason i've reported more in the last week then i did in the 14 months before that though...
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
I always have a massive urge to post something funny in the 'message' box if the actual reason I have reported a post for it blindingly obvious, but I'm always worried a mod that doesn't know me/a mod I don't know will pick it up and think I'm being a ****. :emo: So I usually just put a smiley, or just repeat the text quoted in the drop-down menu. If only the [img] tags were enabled in reports... :moon:
*shrugs* Do it anyway. Adding a little humour into such a dull and repetitive task like answering post reports is appreciated. When I was doing post reports far more often (like, answering 50-100 reports a day, which was a looooong time ago for me :o:) I tended to try and add funny comments when I was closing them...not that many people read them, but I did get a few PMs or reps here and there commenting on what I'd said in response to a user's reports

(Original post by F1 fanatic)
For example using the post report system to give abuse to moderators, or typing nonsensical stuff just to be annoying and with no intention of using the report system for the function it was designed for. If your intention is to report a post you believe to break the rules, then it is virtually inconceivable that you would be warned for abusing the system.
There is one exception to this which I think is worth mentioning (it's one of the few times that I've given out an abuse of post report system warning) - say someone gets warned for avoiding the swear filter, gets pissy with the decision to warn them, and does a search and starts reporting every single occurrence of the word they were warned for (even if the posts being reported are six or seven years old). Although they're reporting posts which do break the rules, the fact that the posts being reported are several years old means we wouldn't warn them, so the user is only serving to waste our time and theirs by flooding the system with reports that we wouldn't have any intention of taking action on. I've only given out two or three warnings for abusing the report system, and I know at least one of those warnings was to someone who was doing exactly that.
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i have a related query.

Users that post:

- "No-one cares./thread"
- "This thread is sooo stupid/boring/dumb"
- "I cant be bothered to answer this"
- "Why is this anon?"

stuff like this - surely you shold be allowed to report it. it is hardly constructive or useful is it? but i reported some of these types of replies and the mod replied "you cant just report posts you dont like" and I got warned.

Also I think you should be able to report people for trying to guess who the anon user is. whats the point in having an anon feature otherwise>? I mean if you can get warned from abuse of anon, why cant someone be warned for trying to encourage others from guessing an anon user? it isnt useful to the threads is it?
fleur de lis
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
i have a related query.

Users that post:

- "No-one cares./thread"
- "This thread is sooo stupid/boring/dumb"
- "I cant be bothered to answer this"
- "Why is this anon?"

stuff like this - surely you shold be allowed to report it. it is hardly constructive or useful is it? but i reported some of these types of replies and the mod replied "you cant just report posts you dont like" and I got warned.
I can't comment on the specific situation as I don't know the details, but all of those posts you've listed would count of spam and could/should be reported. I very much doubt you were warned specifically for reporting those type of posts, I would imagine there was another factor/aspect to your warning.

Also I think you should be able to report people for trying to guess who the anon user is. whats the point in having an anon feature otherwise>? I mean if you can get warned from abuse of anon, why cant someone be warned for trying to encourage others from guessing an anon user? it isnt useful to the threads is it?
Yep, you can and should report people who try to do this - it is against the rules and we remove these posts and warn the poster quite harshly.
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fleur de lis)
I can't comment on the specific situation as I don't know the details, but all of those posts you've listed would count of spam and could/should be reported. I very much doubt you were warned specifically for reporting those type of posts, I would imagine there was another factor/aspect to your warning.

Yep, you can and should report people who try to do this - it is against the rules and we remove these posts and warn the poster quite harshly.
oh....right.....hmmm. thanks very much for clarifying this!!
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fleur de lis)

sorry I also wanted to ask - when some mods look at my post reports they write "getting a check on the user" what does this mean?:confused:
fleur de lis
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
sorry I also wanted to ask - when some mods look at my post reports they write "getting a check on the user" what does this mean?:confused:
That's ok, ask away! Usually when a mod says they're getting a check on the user it means they want to check that the account isn't a dupe. The result of the check may affect the way the post and/or person is dealt with
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.84%
Leave (222)
20.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed