Turn on thread page Beta

Bands you think should be much bigger than they are/were watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channy)
    VU, CAN, Nick Drake, Pentangle, Love, Incredible String Band, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Fairport Convention, The Beatles...I could go on forever.

Oh, and any krautrock band, ever.
    I like the Beatles too, but are they not already indisputably massive? Is it even possible for them to get any more recognition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    Kyuss should have been absolutely enormous. Better than QOTSA, for my money at least.
    Woah, Kyuss are good but better than QotSA? Can't agree with you on that one.

Screaming Citizens are one of the best new bands I've come across, they definitely deserve more recognition.

ReputationRep:
    The Stone Roses

ReputationRep:
    Crystal Fighters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Libertines, Strokes, Mos Def, The Cribs, The White Stripes... And on and on and on...

To sum it up, most rock and PROPER hip hop music!
    Apart from Mos Def, because I genuinely have no idea who that is, are they not all relatively popular?!? Well with probably the exception of the Cribs maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinball_heart)
    Apart from Mos Def, because I genuinely have no idea who that is, are they not all relatively popular?!? Well with probably the exception of the Cribs maybe.
    Yes, but that wasn't the question. In my opinion these lot should be much bigger then they are. White Stripes for example should be a band with 300,000,000 views on Youtube, not Bieber.

ReputationRep:
    Rökkurró. Seriously fantastic Icelandic band (with a female singer). So relaxing!

Antonio Pinto for soundtracks and music without words. e.g. Requiem from the soundtrack of Collateral.

Catatonia, who've unfortunately finished now, but bloody Nora they're good.Strange Glue is my favourite.

ReputationRep:
    I think that The White Stripes albums have sold very respectably. They've had a solid selling career and I don't think that they could realistically hope for much more given that it isn't actually 1968 now and certainly wouldn't have been for 6 albums.

ReputationRep:
    Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow never got the acclaim they deserved IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Band of Horses should be more popular.

ReputationRep:
    Bright Eyes, Brand New, Mogwai, Feeder, Libertines

ReputationRep:
    Million Dead are hugely underrated. They weren't around for long and only released two albums, but for some reason Frank Turner exploded with popularity when he went solo. I mean most Frank Turner fans probably don't even know who Million Dead are (which is a shame, because they're much better than Frank Turner).

I know they're fairly big already, but Florence + the Machine deserve way more recognition, Florence is just so unbeliavably talented, far more so than most of the chavs you see making music nowadays. Got a feeling she'll become much bigger when her new album is out though.

ReputationRep:
    Seafood - They were on the right track and building a name for themselves with some decent slots at major festivals in '00/'01, but the lead singer's lung spontaneously collapsed. After his recovery all the momentum disappeared and they never got the same attention again. Split up in 08 because they weren't getting anywhere, but they were easily one of the best live acts around at the time.

I agree with Bright Eyes. Really thought they'd be at least playing big theatres this upcoming tour, but they're playing Academies and those dates haven't even sold out yet.

ReputationRep:
    Feeder- epic bad saw them live during the Big Weekend and they were very good

ReputationRep:
    Big Country.

They were rivals for U2 in the early eighties, and for a while the safe money would have been on Big Country to become the internationally-famous band for decades ... but by some fluke, U2 achieved that sort of fame and Big Country were relegated to a cult band, finally falling into obscurity and ending with the suicide of Stuart Adamson.

ReputationRep:
    sonic youth, crystal castles

ReputationRep:
    Hypocrites. If any of these bands became popular you'll all jump on the badnwagon of 'ohhh, they are like, so mainstreeeeam now, i totaly prefered their older stuff, y'know, back in the day...' Pfft. That said, I think Alkaline Trio need to be far more popular than they're now.

Tough question. I would nominate Supertramp, because they are truly unique and have a large following but somehow never managed to conquer the world. Other honourable mentions go to Joy Division who, again, had a large cult following and a unique sound but somehow never quite made it; after Ian Curtis killed himself in 1980 and New Order were formed, things weren't the same as they had a totally different sound and focus.

I'd also throw the Pixies in there too.

(Original post by TheSownRose)
    Big Country
    Didn't see that one coming

ReputationRep:
    Honey is Cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Didn't see that one coming
    I'm sure no one did. :ninja:

Spoiler:
    Show
    But it's true.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.