That's far from Glory-hunting...
dnumberwang
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bluenose14)
Well done, youve done it the hard way.
you can still call me a glory supporter because i support (follow?) the Germany national team despite being born and raised in england
L18
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well that's why I don't support Liverpool. I probably wouldnt be able to go the game if I was the because the ground is clogged up with people who should be supporting rosenborg etc.
I thought David Moyes said Everton were a big club and got a titty lip when Rafa said they weren't?
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L18)
I thought David Moyes said Everton were a big club and got a titty lip when Rafa said they weren't?
Also that they are the 'Peoples Club' yet never fill Goodison :rolleyes:

You can get tickets for the derby at Goodison (in the home end) and games against United on the day :facepalm2:
bluenose14
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
I must admit I really dislike the 'local' team argument. As to what level down the leagues do you go?
The nearest professional ground to me is Anfield so technically I support my local team :rolleyes: but the nearest team to me is a local Sunday league club. So should I ignore my support of Liverpool in favour of watching and following a Sunday league team?

Also, is not every person a 'glory hunter' to some extent. As there is always a team with less 'glory'.
No, there's no need to go that in depth with it all. I was on about people who support teams hundreds of miles away just because they are successful. I'm not on about going to Buckley hill to watch Sunday league games.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No, there's no need to go that in depth with it all. I was on about people who support teams hundreds of miles away just because they are successful. I'm not on about going to Buckley hill to watch Sunday league games.
But if that is what they enjoy then I don't understand the problem :dontknow:
bluenose14
Rep:
?
(Original post by L18)
I should have said successful. City and Chelsea aren't even that big in my opinion.
bluenose14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mess.)
But if that is what they enjoy then I don't understand the problem :dontknow:
don't get me wrong it's admirable and it definitely isn't gloryhunting.
munn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
So are you an Everton fan with a Liverpool-supporting father?

If it was the equivalent dynamic in my house I'm sure I would have been kicked the length and breadth of the Gallowgate 'til I saw the error of my ways.

And, if anyone asks, if my son one day said he wanted to support Rangers, who am I to stop him?

That's right, his fecking father and he'll do as he's told.
If my son decided he wanted to support Celtic I'd let him, we're tolerant see.

I'd write him out of my will though.
bluenose14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mess.)
Also that they are the 'Peoples Club' yet never fill Goodison :rolleyes:

You can get tickets for the derby at Goodison (in the home end) and games against United on the day :facepalm2:
Have you found the missing piece in the title winning jigsaw yet?
Celtic_Anthony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by munn)
If my son decided he wanted to support Celtic I'd let him, we're tolerant see.

I'd write him out of my will though.
:lol: I like that actually, getting the last laugh in death.

I was jesting about my Dad, he's not the violent type. He would just have divorced my mum.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Have you found the missing piece in the title winning jigsaw yet?
Bit of a pointless joke as we have only challenged for the title properly twice in 10 years :dontknow:
Left Hand Drive
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Was brought up a Celtic fan and if I have a son I like to think he will be a celtic fan and his Grandfather from his mothers side will be sick
bluenose14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mess.)
Bit of a pointless joke as we have only challenged for the title properly twice in 10 years :dontknow:
I know, I was on about how up until recently a lot of your new signings are the 'missing piece'. I even know someone who dubbed Bruno cheyrou the new zidane haha.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I know, I was on about how up until recently a lot of your new signings are the 'missing piece'. I even know someone who dubbed Bruno cheyrou the new zidane haha.
I think that was the papers more than any actual supporters if I am honest :holmes:
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
You admire football in terms of a spectator sport. So you watch the team that brings you the most aesthetic pleasure. An immediate pleasure if you want.

A football supporter will support their club. Whether they do well or not. They will fight for the causes of the club. They will have shared joy and grief. They will be an extension of the club. They are naive and blind. They are fanatics.

By all means do not take offence to what I am saying as it is not meant that way. It is just a way of seperating someone who is part of a club and someone who admires a club.

Honestly, think of it in religious terms and it might be easier to understand.
In that case, I wouldn't really call myself a hardcore supporter. But I don't think I watch it purely as a spectator sport, for aesthetic reasons either. I'd probably fall somewhere in between.

The thing is, lots of people support a particular club based primarily on geographical location. But I personally don't see this as all that relevant.
For me, aesthetics form the basis of determining which team I support in the first place. But the reason I support that team now is not just because of aesthetics but because I've already been supporting them for so long, and have such familiarity with it, if that makes sense.
Fusion
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I was a kid, the only live football on terrestial tv was predominantly man utd in the cl on itv, so you can see how success=exposure=supporters, it's not neccessarily glory hunting.
FilthyYouth
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I enjoyed watching England, in particular Michael Owen, who played for Liverpool at the time, hence why I support Liverpool today.
forsaken_earth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Why is is that people who are not from Liverpool, Manchester, London etc. Choose to support the big clubs? In my opinion it is gloryhunting. You hardly ever used to see Chelsea shirts but I now see them all over the place. And the same thing will probably happen with city. The reason I ask is because my mate decided one day that he is now going to support arsenal when he used to support everton. In my opinion you should take the good times with the bad and support your local team.
When I started supporting spurs, they were pretty ****..
I live in north london, so it's either spurs or arsenal

And whoever you support, you CAN'T change haha
That having been said, there are several clubs in europe and in the premier league that I really enjoy watching and would want to win over others, but I am not their supporter per se.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads