What's the best Student Bank Account? Also which offers the Railcard? Watch

alcazaba
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't base your judgement on whether you get a free railcard or not, it's only £28 As someone mentioned before, one of the most important facts to consider is whether after you have finished uni, will your bank give you a 0% interest graduate account.

(Also surprised nobody has mentioned Barclays at all, that's who I signed up my student account with 10 years ago and they have been awesome.)
x-Daniella-x
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When I went in to Barclays she told me to get a student account with the NatWest!
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by alcazaba)
I wouldn't base your judgement on whether you get a free railcard or not, it's only £28 As someone mentioned before, one of the most important facts to consider is whether after you have finished uni, will your bank give you a 0% interest graduate account.

(Also surprised nobody has mentioned Barclays at all, that's who I signed up my student account with 10 years ago and they have been awesome.)
If the rail card from Natwest is available it is a 5 year card. Further they offer 3 years interest free to pay off any overdraft after graduation.
MelanieA
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had to research this recently and I would warn you to be careful of initial benefits the freebies can give you. It's more important to look into interest rates and overdraft allowances (for example, advertising 'up to' an amount for your overdraft doesn't mean you'll get it). Also, the charges (both for agreed overspend on your overdraft, and non-agreed) can really sting.
Last year, it was actually the Cooperative Bank that offered the best deal with the highest guaranteed limits - Year1: £1,400 Year 2: £1,700 Year 3: £2,000, so it's definitely worth shopping around and not being initially taken in by a railcard.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Unless you expect to use an overdraft it is irrelevant.
JmJtr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Say if I opened my account now, would I be able to use it now or would I have to wait till september?

I have an uncondiional btw.
purplebibian2010
Report 7 years ago
what if you already have a rail card? do you still get free rail card from natwest for the rest years?
vixonomics
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Natwest and its railcard are a thing of the past. CO-OP is by far the best now.
glf2110
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by vixonomics)
Natwest still do a 3 year rail card.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...t-bank-account
vixonomics
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
NONE ANYMORE :'(. Co-Op is the best one standing, 1.4k guaranteed overdraft in year 1
glf2110
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Natwest have automatically amended my account to a student account and are giving me a 5 year rail card. You had to have an account with them on 1st June.
Depends what you want from your account. I don't want the big overdraft, it's debt. A small one is useful but I don't intend to run up additional costs of £1.4k in the first year. (Hopefully)
diamonddust
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by vixonomics)
I'm thinking of going with Co-Op but then do I *want* a huge overdraft? It will just encourage me to overspend...
(Original post by glf2110)
Natwest still do a 3 year rail card.
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...t-bank-account
Not for new customers. :sad:
Fliq
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How often do you think we'll be in our overdraft? I'm currently with nationwide and they don't offer student accounts.. I'm thinking natwest... But I still want to keep my nationwide account open. I currently have £600 overdraft limit and £1000 credit limit, just need that interest free incase it all goes tits up !
glf2110
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Fliq)
How often do you think we'll be in our overdraft? I'm currently with nationwide and they don't offer student accounts.. I'm thinking natwest... But I still want to keep my nationwide account open. I currently have £600 overdraft limit and £1000 credit limit, just need that interest free incase it all goes tits up !
Keep both. I intend to get my Student Finance paid into my NatWest and to also keep my Nationwide going by paying a weekly allowence from my NatWest account into it.
Fliq
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by glf2110)
Keep both. I intend to get my Student Finance paid into my NatWest and to also keep my Nationwide going by paying a weekly allowence from my NatWest account into it.
Yeah, think I shall!
Lord Mirza
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm with natwest.. They used to have such good offers some time ago.. 2 for 1 cinema, orange top-ups.. *sigh*
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
National Bank of Greece:

A competitive -10% interest (per month)
A conventient withdrawl cap of £5 per annum (no quibble)
Friendly staff and great customer service (Fluency in Greek required)

*The exchange rate between Pounds Sterling and the Euro can go down as well as up
Kirsten18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Santander can give you £240 worth of insurance to cover your mobile, laptop and two other items of your choice for free if you sign up with them? I don't know about their overdraft limit but I'm not intending on using it and it seems better than a free £11 a year NUS card (Lloyds) or a £27 a year railcard (Natwest)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (38)
27.14%
No - I got the required grades (84)
60%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (18)
12.86%

Watched Threads