Girlfriend told her parents that she's constantly cooking for me. Watch

philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HistoryRepeating)
Given that I've said exactly that in the post above.....

PS: I'm a man you misogynistic ****.
Which I also said in the original post you quoted, you ribald.
yougotitlikethat
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hasin_arshad)
**** reading that!
Then don't.
Boo!xx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
take her out afew nights and pay for it? I'm sure she'll forgive you
McCoy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How about just buying a recipe book which is focused on easy/simple recipes for beginners? That way you can try out some things whilst following very simple instructions, and then share with your girlfriend. It sounds like you're interested in getting better but have literally no idea where to start, and that's one way to do it.

Alternatively, if you really can't cook, you should be putting in equal effort elsewhere. Sometimes in a relationship/household people have different strengths, so maybe you could agree that if your girlfriend does the majority of the cooking, you could do the majority of the cleaning?
flying plum
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The most important thing to remember in this: women don't generally mind doing things like cooking, but they like to feel a) appreciated and b) occasionally spoilt. Do you do the washing up? I have this arrangement with my partner (though he's not always brilliant at doing it, and THIS is what causes our arguments!). Do you say nice things about her cooking, or do you just wolf it down? Do you do other things around the house? I'm happy to do the cooking provided tom does the stuff he's good at (putting up shelves, helping with the cleaning, fixing stuff that I haven't a clue where to start etc etc).

However, onto the spoiling part: perhaps you should make an effort, one night a week/fortnight/month, whatever you fancy, to cook for your girlfriend. Buy Delia Smith's 'How to Cook', and work your way through it. If it turns out horrendous, order a pizza, but she'll appreciate you trying (or should! if she's got any sense she won't make any mean comments....)
thegodofgod
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ask your girlfriend what she thinks about the cooking situation.

And just ignore her parents - at least you put some effort in, some guys don't even do that; they just expect food to be ready for them.
Nalced
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Reminds me of me, and my ex. Oh, they were nice days, baking and cooking together. Oh very wonderful. Now she wants to throw acid at my face and give me a beating, the pain of a broken heart.
Manc990
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If anything your doing too much in the kitchen! I only go into the kitchen to urinate in the sink when i dont want to walk upstairs.
lolololol
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Me and my boyfriend live together too. I am a fairly competent cook, he can barely cook anything. We decided to split the housework so I do the cooking and he does the cleaning (washing up, hoovering, floors, etc) which works pretty well.
BigDirty
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Draaaamaaaaaaaa
Lamptastic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can understand how someone can't cook a complicated recipe but to not be able to cook AT ALL? I don't believe you.

Buy a simple recipe book or go on the bbc good food website and have a look on there for inspiration. Failing that ask her to try and teach you what to cook, you'll need to learn to cook one day and it is surprisingly fun.

Whipping an egg and pushing some food in a saucepan is hardly helping I'm afraid, you need to actually make more of an effort otherwise she won't change her mind..

EDIT: Most of what I learnt about cooking was by watching cooking shows on TV. Have a watch!
Lamptastic
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lolololol)
Me and my boyfriend live together too. I am a fairly competent cook, he can barely cook anything. We decided to split the housework so I do the cooking and he does the cleaning (washing up, hoovering, floors, etc) which works pretty well.
OR This.

When I cook, my bf cleans and the other way round of course
You should still at least try though....
Cybele
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What she said about you was kind of rude. It's not as if you're sitting on your arse letting her do everything, but this problem isn't going to be resolved unless you stand up for yourself. I would've gone with "yes, you do most of the cooking, because you turn your nose up at the things I cook." She can only get so angry if this is a true statement. In the meantime, learn how to cook some simple things, you will get the hang of it.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are some things that are so, so easy.. like pasta, rice dishes and little things like salads and jacket potatoes. If you can't cook to the same standard that's fine, but just cook something simple for the pair of you a couple of nights each week.
KissMyArtichoke
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ask her to teach you?
AlisonP
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
What's it got to do with her parents? If she's happy with the situation, forget about it, although I'd probably advise you to learn to make a few meals.
superwolf
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Another thing OP, it sounds like you're being too experimental with your cooking. Experimentation is great, but first you need to learn the basics, like that basil goes well with tomato sauce, or cumin with curry and vegetables. Learn the basics first, then start experimenting.
Anonymous #2
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iorek)
Doesn't sound as if both of you are ready for a live-in relationship.
This.

If something as small as this bothers you this much, you probably aren't.

Just talk about it with her!

Come to some arrangement so that either she teaches you how to cook so you can do more, or you compensate by doing the washing up/ cleaning/ other chores more often.

Some girls just have high standards for cooking and cleaning and don't even want their partners to be part of it as they're worried they will not do it right. Ask her if that's the case. If so ask her to show you what to do!
Fuzzed_Out
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you help actually help, constantly ask her for jobs and ask her to teach you how to cook.
Left Hand Drive
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You do more house work then? You may I never read that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (109)
19.82%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (223)
40.55%
Nope, not that interesting (218)
39.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed