Entz is Changing! Watch

hobo06
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
I believe that the current plan is to still have the festivals subforum but to now make it a subforum of the live entz bit, which will exist year round and would also cover all the other bits of live music such as gigs etc.

Plus yeah, it would be nice to see theatre etc. getting a bit more activity.
Ah fair enough, sounds good to me
Champagne Supernova
Badges: 20
Report 7 years ago
Just confirming that that is indeed correct - well, we'll see how we feel come May-ish but that's what is currently in mind.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

• The Celeb Gossip forum will be dissolved into chat.
Personally, I dislike this idea. I can see why it's been put forth as an idea due to the lack of regular posting in there, but a fair portion of Chat is usually clogged up with talks about various celebs and whatnot before they get moved to the Celeb Gossip forum.
The thought of more threads about celebrities being put in there doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's my bias concerning celebrities that's showing through, or maybe it's because I've only been awake an hour and am feeling quite grumpy, but I can see Chat slowly going downhill if forums that lack regular posters start getting put in there.
It's bad enough with all the trolling idiocy that goes in there as it is, without even more threads being made about how bad Justin Bieber and whatsherface Black are :sad:

NB: The sad smiley isn't because I like the latter two "celebrities"; it's because I'm pissed that threads concerning them have already started populating the Music and Chat forum, and it's always the same circulated opinions in every thread (trolls aside).
Phalanges
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Drunk Punx)
Personally, I dislike this idea. I can see why it's been put forth as an idea due to the lack of regular posting in there, but a fair portion of Chat is usually clogged up with talks about various celebs and whatnot before they get moved to the Celeb Gossip forum.
The thought of more threads about celebrities being put in there doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's my bias concerning celebrities that's showing through, or maybe it's because I've only been awake an hour and am feeling quite grumpy, but I can see Chat slowly going downhill if forums that lack regular posters start getting put in there.
It's bad enough with all the trolling idiocy that goes in there as it is, without even more threads being made about how bad Justin Bieber and whatsherface Black are :sad:

NB: The sad smiley isn't because I like the latter two "celebrities"; it's because I'm pissed that threads concerning them have already started populating the Music and Chat forum, and it's always the same circulated opinions in every thread (trolls aside).
You bring up some very valid points there. I definitely don't think that Entz is the right place for celeb gossip due to the often spammy nature of the threads, but similarly I don't want to replace the usual topics in chat by using it as a dumping ground. I've got a couple of ideas so I'm going to go and speak to some of the higher ups and see if we can't work out a compromise. I'll get back to you.
hobo06
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You bring up some very valid points there. I definitely don't think that Entz is the right place for celeb gossip due to the often spammy nature of the threads, but similarly I don't want to replace the usual topics in chat by using it as a dumping ground. I've got a couple of ideas so I'm going to go and speak to some of the higher ups and see if we can't work out a compromise. I'll get back to you.
How about a 'Heat' (or other similar magazine) forum? That could be the dumping ground for gossip threads and certain H&R threads :p:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
(Original post by Drunk Punx)

(Original post by hobo06)
How about a 'Heat' (or other similar magazine) forum? That could be the dumping ground for gossip threads and certain H&R threads :p:
Hey guys,

I've had a chat with some of the supers and admins and they think there's not enough activity to justify a celeb forum (if you look in it it's pretty plain that it's a bit of a ghosttown). However what we're going to do is keep an eye on chat after the changes and see if the makeup of the threads drastically changes (i.e. if there's a big influx of spammy celeb threads). If there is then they will consider making appropriate changes, however at present it doesn't look like there will be that much. If you guys think there is a change after the update then please don't hesitate to come to AAM with your concerns.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report 7 years ago
I have had an idea, but it's a fairly general idea.

Why not, since you're essentially moving CG to Chat, create a nice sticky in Chat called Celeb Gossip? The sticky would update with any members wishing to share the latest gossip, and it could be kept pretty active.

However, I know moderators are wary of stickies/megathreads and it could take away from threads being posted on their own, just an idea...
Phalanges
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
I have had an idea, but it's a fairly general idea.

Why not, since you're essentially moving CG to Chat, create a nice sticky in Chat called Celeb Gossip? The sticky would update with any members wishing to share the latest gossip, and it could be kept pretty active.

However, I know moderators are wary of stickies/megathreads and it could take away from threads being posted on their own, just an idea...
I appreciate the suggestion, but I couldn't see that working personally. If there were two topics going on simultaneously, one based on Charlie Sheen's mental breakdown and the other on Justin Bieber's appeal, it would get very confusing and frustrating for anyone to be able to follow what was going on, particularly with the amount of spam those topics would surely generate.
Ape Gone Insane
Report 7 years ago
I appreciate the suggestion, but I couldn't see that working personally. If there were two topics going on simultaneously, one based on Charlie Sheen's mental breakdown and the other on Justin Bieber's appeal, it would get very confusing and frustrating for anyone to be able to follow what was going on, particularly with the amount of spam those topics would surely generate.
Yeah, I came to the same thinking after I posted and thought about it. But there's still that danger, as you highlighted, of Chat being overwhelmed - and/or a lot of threads just being posted in Entertainment.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Yeah, I came to the same thinking after I posted and thought about it. But there's still that danger, as you highlighted, of Chat being overwhelmed - and/or a lot of threads just being posted in Entertainment.
Yeah, there is that danger. But by the same token there's not that many threads going at the minute, which is why I think we're not going to be able to judge it's impact until the move has taken place. So I think the move of everyone (both mods and users) checking on it shortly after to see the impact and then assessing if any other steps need to be taken is probably the best one to go with.
Drunk Punx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey guys,

I've had a chat with some of the supers and admins and they think there's not enough activity to justify a celeb forum (if you look in it it's pretty plain that it's a bit of a ghosttown). However what we're going to do is keep an eye on chat after the changes and see if the makeup of the threads drastically changes (i.e. if there's a big influx of spammy celeb threads). If there is then they will consider making appropriate changes, however at present it doesn't look like there will be that much. If you guys think there is a change after the update then please don't hesitate to come to AAM with your concerns.
Sounds fair enough to me
Hopefully it won't be as bad as I feared.
eugenius 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
awesome, cant wait to try out the anime/manga/comics forum :excited:
Colbert
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I believe that the current plan is to still have the festivals subforum but to now make it a subforum of the live entz bit, which will exist year round and would also cover all the other bits of live music such as gigs etc.

Plus yeah, it would be nice to see theatre etc. getting a bit more activity.
Any chance the festivals forum could be opened sooner than has been suggested in here? With the Reading/Leeds lineup out and that thread being busy and Glasto announcement very soon (was the first week of April last year iirc) there will no doubt be a lot of interest in them and more going forward.

I really want advice regarding European festivals but I think I'll have to go elsewhere for that :beard:
Ape Gone Insane
Report 7 years ago
I see the change has happened. Well, here's hoping it works out for the best. Kudos to you guys for putting in the effort to make these changes.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Yes, as you can see the changes have happened. Obviously these things are going to take a bit of bedding in so if you see any threads in the wrong places please post report them and I'll try and move them around ASAP, and any questions or feedback you have please don't hesitate to post them in this thread or in AAM. Thanks for your suggestions and thoughts so far, and hopefully these will all work out for the best.

(Original post by Colbert)
Any chance the festivals forum could be opened sooner than has been suggested in here? With the Reading/Leeds lineup out and that thread being busy and Glasto announcement very soon (was the first week of April last year iirc) there will no doubt be a lot of interest in them and more going forward.

I really want advice regarding European festivals but I think I'll have to go elsewhere for that :beard:
I agree, given the amount of threads being made I think now would be a pretty good time for the forum. I've raised the issue and the subforum should appear in Live Entz shortly.
Ape Gone Insane
Report 7 years ago
Is there going to be a site wide announcement for the change? Like there was I think with Current Affairs and Advice on Everyday Issues. May bring a boost in activity/people may not know it has happened. :holmes:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Is there going to be a site wide announcement for the change? Like there was I think with Current Affairs and Advice on Everyday Issues. May bring a boost in activity/people may not know it has happened. :holmes:
I wouldn't have thought so. If there was one with GD then that was because it was the biggest part of the site so there needed to be an announcement because it affected so many people, whereas let's face it, there might be 10 people in a month who remember that T&LC has disappeared.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
The Summer Festivals forum has just gone live as a sub-forum of Live Entertainment (with a redirect in Music), and can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=632

I've ben through the first few pages of music and think I've got most of the festival threads so far, but if you know of any I've missed then please report the and I'll move them across. Otherwise, please direct any festivals conversation to that forum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (114)
26.21%
No (321)
73.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise