Turn on thread page Beta

At my wits end with French A-level- what to do? :'( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    God, OP, I gnashed my teeth for you reading some of the responses much earlier in the thread.

I know your frustration so, so well. And there is a lot of misunderstanding here - it's not right to assume that if you've done well it's because you've understood and fulfilled the exam spec perfectly, though I do understand that that's something you can hardly help but believe if you're 17-18 and that's what your teachers have been telling you for two years solid - or more. It's really not like that - the whole exam marking system is so rickety and full of holes. It's my strong opinion that specs make it worse, not better - or at least in the way they're used at the moment.

Don't give up. But also don't get stuck in trying to use the specification as a guide for what should help you pass. You've done brilliantly to get yourself up to the standard you have from where you started your AS. I think you're pushing against 'oh god I can't speak French, my marks are saying so' - try to go into it without expectations now you've built up a good base, absorb the language, and most importantly produce it. Speak and write and think it as often as you can. Even if that's not that often: just as long as you can get used to doing it at the drop of a hat.

Try not to stress! It's okay! The more you relax into language learning, the easier, more effective and less stressful it becomes. Honest.

I studied specifications religiously for my A2 writing especially - and got a D. Uh-huh. Our entire class got D-U on that paper. Remarks cost £££, so I shrugged it off. And it was fine - I'm starting French at Cambridge this year.

Specific advice - is that your teacher/an assistante in your recording? If so, could you ask her to provide a little more immediate feedback when you're speaking in your lessons? For instance, responding 'tout'fois' when you say 'tou-te-fois', giving the French vowel sounds when you use the English ones (monoparentale, société) or if you've used a dodgy verb form or adjective agreement when you're speaking spontaneously. It has to be on the spot so that it sinks in. If it's an assistante, can you book her? Either way, what'll do you best is trying to lean into her speech patterns - the way voice tone moves up and down with different parts of sentences, which will both give the impression that you understand what you're saying and, I think, help you actually develop more of a fluent French speaker's brain. And the more it feels like a real to-and-fro-flowing conversation, the better you'll feel, learn, and perform.

Long long long post, but I'm fed up with the way teaching and assessment systems drag people down, and I want you to succeed! Hang on in there.

ReputationRep:
    I think more to the point is to say I still suck at French, mightily, but I've got past the point where that's a problem. It's bliss.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, if you want to practice speaking with other people on skype (rather than sitting slowly going mad talking to yourself or the mirror) then I've set up a thread. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1586873
    If lots of people contribute then it could be really useful!

We just need people to sign up!

What do you guys think?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 27, 2011

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.