Turn on thread page Beta

Nicknames and Family surnames watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend at uni who's surname is Bell, so naturally he's known as ******* (so mature).

I'm Delves and my dad used to be called Delboy in school, but this obviously doesn't work for me as I'm female.
    Although my brother never got it either, generation gap I imagine.
    Sometimes I just get my surname (used to be more often in high school), but mostly I'm just Mini because I'm short.

ReputationRep:
    My Polish surname sounds like a sneeze...

ReputationRep:
    My surname is ny nickname so :P

ReputationRep:
    Never had any problems with my family name, but my middle name is Cicely, so i used to get teased in the French school with Rose-se-sali-dans-la-boue. (Rose gets dirty in mud) Yeah, childish, but aged like 6/7 it made me sad.. Also used to get called Stressy because i bit my nails so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    That's my surname too.
    What is? Berry or Drake?

ReputationRep:
    I love my surname, Arundell. It has a brilliant history and I share the surname with all of my extended family. I'm dreading the day I get married and have to change it (I'm not going to keep my name though, I'm old fashioned like that).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becomingbindy)
    I love my surname, Arundell. It has a brilliant history and I share the surname with all of my extended family. I'm dreading the day I get married and have to change it (I'm not going to keep my name though, I'm old fashioned like that).

One of my great uncles had "Arundell" as a middle name.Its very cool .My maiden name was never shortened to anything, although my brother used to get called "Hurdy" at school.My husband was called "Errol Flynn" at school because his surname sounds like Flynn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorito)
    What is it? :ahee:
    Hah.
    I could be very easily traced if I put it on here, I'm pretty sure I'm the only Rebekah *surname* in the whole entire world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tonberry)
    Butler :holmes:
    Yeah my bf shares the same nickname.

I'm Green- so it was annoyingly Green-y or worse still Stacey Green-Man because of Pedestrian crossings :mad:

I've been called all sorts due to my chavvy first name.
    Stacey-how unfortunate
    Stacey-that's not my name
    Stackie
    Stace
    Stackasaurus-Rex
    Stackasaurus Rex-A-Mobile
    & Rex

Oh and called Lampy-both on here and in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Hah.
    I could be very easily traced if I put it on here, I'm pretty sure I'm the only Rebekah *surname* in the whole entire world.
    That's actually quite cool. I bet filling out a form is annoying...erm I think you've put your first name in the wrong box. No I haven't dumbass. :smug:

ReputationRep:
    I have one of the most Irish Catholic names going and it usually gets comments.

Latest was a bouncer in town giving it "Oh, I bet we know which foot you kick with". It's fairly funny, seeing as I'm neither Irish nor Catholic.

ReputationRep:
    Hah.
    doesn't begin with a 'C' does it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dorito)
    doesn't begin with a 'C' does it?
    Not even close :cool:

ReputationRep:
    i lke berry i have recently been given a new nickname to do with the guy im with atm. however i cant put it on here as i have friends on here :L but it includes my first name and part of his name lol

ReputationRep:
    Not even close :cool:
    Is it not a Scottish sounding one like McTavish? (I call my cat Chloe McTavish for some reason :dontknow:)

Mine is a double barreled surname because my family is oh so posh. So when people ask for your surname (they can all be first names too) they say 'no just the last name' :grr:

Oh forgot to add, my nicknames range from 'Morgan' to 'Mr Marshmallow Man' or Jimmeh :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willum Infanta)
    Is it not a Scottish sounding one like McTavish? (I call my cat Chloe McTavish for some reason :dontknow:)
    Naww, I'd love to have a Scottish sounding name. Although it is Scottish, you would never know that though.

ReputationRep:
    I get called beans It sounds similar to Heinz so I've been called that since I was little haha. I don't even like baked beans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berryboysh)
    What is? Berry or Drake?
    Berry.

ReputationRep:
    My entire family call me moto, my nephew doesnt know my real name. Think it started with those "hello moto" motorola adverts... joy.

At uni i'm either called by my last name or farmer (Good ol' south western stereotypes!) and mates at home call me Jomo.

Now I'm wondering who actually uses my real name...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not fond of my surname, Karpinski. I mean, I appreciate that it is kinda unusual in the UK and that it shows my family history (Polish evidently) but the only Polish branch of my family are my paternal Grandad's relatives. He's passed away and we were never that close. I've never met anyone from his side of the family, never been to Poland, don't speak Polish. I'm about as disconnected from Poland as someone can be.

And yet I still have to spell my surname every time I say it even thought its spelt exactly as you say it, but with a K, AND people speaking to me on the phone for the first time are usually surprised at "how good my English is". Gee, thanks, I would bloody hope so.

It has spawned the nickname "pink" or "pinky", from when my cousins couldn't pronounce it. My cousins still call me that and I use it in my email address but that's about it nowadays. I'm looking forward to changing my surname upon getting married, should that ever happen.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.