The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Another Aberdeen Accomodation thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hector Boece is the one hall i really don't want to go to. The beds are really uncomfortable. i think i'm going to apply for NCC as my first choice and Wavell as my second. i can't wait for mid may to apply, i just want to know where i'll be living now!
Anyone else for NCC?
xXx
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 41
can someone help explain the corridor style more?

there are multiple kitchens, but any of those 40 people can go in and access any of those kitchens at any time? and then everyone has access to the same bathrooms?

that sort of sounds like freshman dorming here. there are a lot of girls on one floor, and there's only two multiple toilet/multiple shower bathrooms, and they all share. except there's only one kitchen in the basement, so people usually have a meal plan.

i'm looking for an apartment (flat), so i'm assuming i should avoid the corridor dorms?

i want my own room, and i want the same people to share the kitchen/bathroom, which is basically what a flat does. i'm used to living alone, or with one other person, but i can deal with living with more people as long as i have my own room and KNOW who will be using the bathroom and kitchen.

as an international student who will be there for one semester, what would you recommend?
Original post by sigurros

there are multiple kitchens, but any of those 40 people can go in and access any of those kitchens at any time? and then everyone has access to the same bathrooms?

that sort of sounds like freshman dorming here. there are a lot of girls on one floor, and there's only two multiple toilet/multiple shower bathrooms, and they all share. except there's only one kitchen in the basement, so people usually have a meal plan.

i'm looking for an apartment (flat), so i'm assuming i should avoid the corridor dorms?

i want my own room, and i want the same people to share the kitchen/bathroom, which is basically what a flat does. i'm used to living alone, or with one other person, but i can deal with living with more people as long as i have my own room and KNOW who will be using the bathroom and kitchen.

as an international student who will be there for one semester, what would you recommend?

What I gather from the website, is that Esslemont, Burnett House, Keith House, Hector Boece Court, North Court, South House and New Carnegie Court are all a flat set up. If it's only for one semester, I'd suggest going for North Court/South House/NCC because they're nicer and have the option of an en-suite if you please.

As for the set-up of the corridor style halls, you're correct except that I'm near certain that the most people I've heard of sharing one kitchen was 16/17 so it's nowhere near 40 people sharing one kitchen :P

Also.. if anyone knows, what are the bathrooms like Wavell/Adam Smith/Fyfe House? Hoping to get into one of them but they're obviously not the halls they show you on the open days (stupid Crombie & Johnston and their huge rooms). The showers in Crombie were like a cubicle? If they're all like that, would you guys just take a bathrobe with you to the shower for afterwards or what? :colondollar: No one has ever explained this to me, haha.
(edited 13 years ago)

There's multiple kitchens, and depending on where you are on the corridor, you're assigned to a specific one :smile: There's code entry on the doors so the idea is only the people of that specific kitchen can go in. I'm pretty sure they're all either 6 or 9 sharing.
Reply 44
i'm so nervous. everything i've been reading about Esslemont, Burnett House, Keith House, and Hector Boece Court have been negative, which is a shame, since it's a flat i want. south/north court are more expensive, but i assume nicer?

the problem with being from america is that everything, for me, is twice as expensive after conversion, so... ugh.

i don't really understand what makes those places so bad, though. a lot of people think where i live here in the usa is crappy, but i absolutely love it.

i'm happy to hear about how wavell/etc has assigned kitchens. it helps that only a select few will have access. i've seen pictures of adam smith's kitchens/rooms, and they look nice. i just don't know how the bathrooms work? is everyone sharing the same bathroom, or is it a deal like the kitchens?

this uk housing stuff is so strange to me. what i'm using to here, in my uni in america, is apartments. two bedrooms. one person in each bedroom. a kitchen for the two of us. a bathroom for the two of us.

to me, wavell house sounds like this:
http://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/housing/living-options/residence-halls/bryan-mall.html

except with kitchens on each floor that are semi-private. but the bathroom situation (so far) is the same. two bathrooms shared by everyone on the floor, and that just weirds me out for some reason.

what i'm using to:
http://www.clemson.edu/campus-life/housing/living-options/apartments/index.html (i've lived in every single one of those places)

this is a long rambly message, but i'm old. i'll be 25 when i get there. i like to have my privacy, BUT i like to be around people. i like to cook (a lot), so i know i will want access to a kitchen, and the wavell situation sounds awesome. i'm just worried about lack of freezer/fridge space.

i mean i guess i'd get over the bathroom thing. having my own room is AWESOME. most of the places where i'm from, on campus, are two people per room. so it's nice to know, no matter what, i'll have my own room there... but yeah.

i'm shutting up. if anyone gets anything out of this, then awesome.

I WISH THERE WERE PICTURES.

it's incredibly intimidating when you're coming from overseas and have never even set foot in scotland, and have absolutely no chance of touring these places before you arrive. it's going in blindly, and it's a bit scary.
bathroom stuff

In Wavell/Fyfe/Adam Smith, there's bathrooms on each half of the floor (4 toilets, 4 showers). They're shared by just under 20 people each. You do have the benefit that they are cleaned every week day :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by Dirty Dream Number Two
Yep, I love Aberdeen uni!

Are the halls in Hillhead mixed or single sex? I'm a bit confused :s-smilie:
Original post by calianaf
Are the halls in Hillhead mixed or single sex? I'm a bit confused :s-smilie:

Depends on the hall. Well NCC is all same sex flats, but some of the other halls may be mixed though I've not heard about it.
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
-

In regards to the cheaper halls (especially Esslemont), do they have basins in the rooms?
Original post by 69Crazyfists
In regards to the cheaper halls (especially Esslemont), do they have basins in the rooms?

Oh yeah they will do :smile: The uni will be in touch in the coming months when the online accom thing opens. There will be accommodation guides and photos :smile:
Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Oh yeah they will do :smile: The uni will be in touch in the coming months when the online accom thing opens. There will be accommodation guides and photos :smile:

Good. Because I suddenly realised I can't really afford Wavell or Fyfe.
Reply 51
you mean more photos than they put on the website, right?
Reply 52
Hi guys! Got a wee question about accommodation. I'll either be firming or insuring Aberdeen this year, but I'm stuck as to what to do! I know that if you insure Aberdeen, and don't get into your first choice, you don't apply for accommodation until after you become unsuccessful with your conditional. If that happens, where's the most likely place you'll be put? I read somewhere it would be in the Unite halls, which is perfectly fine for me because I really like the look of the Old Fire Station and New Carnegie, more than any of the others, but is it true that you would most likely be put here?

Thanks for any help :biggrin:
Original post by Kirsten.
Hi guys! Got a wee question about accommodation. I'll either be firming or insuring Aberdeen this year, but I'm stuck as to what to do! I know that if you insure Aberdeen, and don't get into your first choice, you don't apply for accommodation until after you become unsuccessful with your conditional. If that happens, where's the most likely place you'll be put? I read somewhere it would be in the Unite halls, which is perfectly fine for me because I really like the look of the Old Fire Station and New Carnegie, more than any of the others, but is it true that you would most likely be put here?

This seems to be the case, yep. I know last year the last rooms available were from the Unite halls.
Reply 54
you know, on the aberdeen website, the pictures for Esslemont, Burnett House, Keith House and Hector Boece Court all look the same. the only thing different is the price... so, really... what makes them different from one another?

is esslemont still the cheapest one?
Original post by Kirsten.

You'll get a place if you ask for it. The price means they don't get masses of applicants.
Reply 56
anyone?
What about PGDE students? Where do they usually stay?
I'm trying to decide where to go next year, but haven't found any information regarding PGDE students. That's stressing me out!

Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending