Should organ donation be made compulsory with an oupt out option int the UK? Watch

Grund
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There is the major fact that people die suddenly and may not have yet had the chance to change to the 'opt out' choice. They may be on their way to 'opt out' the very second a bus hits them, and so they have no choice but to have their organs stole from them.
History-Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sellasi6290)
did I not pay a set price to receive that organ or my money doesn't cover that?
If it's an opt out system, your NHS tax covers organ transplant by default.

If you choose to opt out, you don't get a discount in your tax; it's your choice to do so, knowing that you won't get one. If your organs mean that much to you then you have to live with paying relatively more tax than others.
sellasi6290
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
ok let me set this right

I DON'T CARE IF THE UK BRINGS THIS ABOUT BECAUSE IF THEY DO I WILL OPT OUT BECAUSE I WANT TO BE BURIED WITH MY ORGANS, AND NO ONE IS GOING TO MAKE ME FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS BECAUSE IT'S MY RIGHTS!

HOOOWEVER FOR THIS DEBATE I HVE TO CARE SOOO DOEES ANNYYYONE HAVE ANY MORE AGAINST PLEAAASE??
slacker07906
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
what are your religious beliefs
Im christian and believe the body should be sufficiently treat like a temple whether dead or alive. I also believe god made my organ's for me, and therefore not for any other human being. Im not going to lie, I would accept an organ but thats another story.
sellasi6290
Rep:
?
(Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
Only healthy organs are used in organ transplantations.
here's a fun tip people with HIV and hepatitis c can donate their oragns
girlwithsharpteeth
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ok let me set this right

I DON'T CARE IF THE UK BRINGS THIS ABOUT BECAUSE IF THEY DO I WILL OPT OUT BECAUSE I WANT TO BE BURIED WITH MY ORGANS, AND NO ONE IS GOING TO MAKE ME FEEL BAD ABOUT THIS BECAUSE IT'S MY RIGHTS!

HOOOWEVER FOR THIS DEBATE I HVE TO CARE SOOO DOEES ANNYYYONE HAVE ANY MORE AGAINST PLEAAASE??
I can PM you a copy of my essay if you like? Might help a bit.
Drunk Punx
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Guru Jason)
yes but those that have used drugs, drink and smoke must total a large percentage of the population. wouldn't it create too much hassle if this is the case?
Which is why I mentioned the paperwork involved.

(Original post by Munchies-YumYum)
Only healthy organs are used in organ transplantations.
See above. If someone ****s up the paperwork or wrongly labels organs then I can see people getting up in arms about it.
VaVe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
thats the me thing with the opt in

is it a problem of awareness do you think?
I think the problem is the perceived effort involved in registering. People can't be bothered to sign up, even though they want to be a donor. They don't realise it takes about ten minutes online.

Maybe they should try including it as an option on more forms. I know that it's now included when you apply for a driving license, how about when you buy a house or sign up for a bank account.
History-Student
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slacker07906)
Im christian and believe the body should be sufficiently treat like a temple whether dead or alive. I also believe god made my organ's for me, and therefore not for any other human being. Im not going to lie, I would accept an organ but thats another story.
Does reading your post back not make you feel like such a massive hypocrite and a bit of a selfish *******?

I'm not trying to be mean, but actually reading someone say "I'd definitely take an organ, but mine are staying with me no matter what good they might do" just sounds horrible.
girlwithsharpteeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
That seems very selfish to accept what you wouldn't give and not very Christian. I believe it is the Christian stance to be pro-donation as it is seen as an altruistic and un-selfish act of kindness. I don't know of any other Christians who are anti-donation and have never seen this used by any elsewhere. If it is how you feel then that is fair enough but using your religion as an excuse is just that, an excuse.
sellasi6290
Rep:
?
I was tryiing to find it in the bible however there's nothing there that actually says it's bad so it's a personal choice and i agree, however I'd only donate for my family members, and if i needed an organ I wouldnt have long to wait because my family would get tested and i'm sure one of them is a match if not eh loool I wouldn't take i from anyone else because it's not mine and I would rather die than have some unknown persons organ in me
Charlottielottie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It seems like a good idea but at the end of the day there's loads of vulnerable groups like the mentally ill, learning disabled and young children who might not have the mental capacity to fill in a form on organ donation or even understand it. It would be disrespectful to take organs off of them, sure they wouldn't be affected because they are dead but their relatives might not be very happy.
sellasi6290
Rep:
?
(Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
I can PM you a copy of my essay if you like? Might help a bit.
oohh pleaaaaaase i'd greatly appreciate it
girlwithsharpteeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
oohh pleaaaaaase i'd greatly appreciate it
Done hope it gives you a few ideas.
slacker07906
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by girlwithsharpteeth)
That seems very selfish to accept what you wouldn't give and not very Christian. I believe it is the Christian stance to be pro-donation as it is seen as an altruistic and un-selfish act of kindness. I don't know of any other Christians who are anti-donation and have never seen this used by any elsewhere. If it is how you feel then that is fair enough but using your religion as an excuse is just that, an excuse.
People interpret the bible differently. There are many arguments for and against everything, and organ donation is one of them touchy subjects. I just dont believe in organ donation. But if people are going to donate an organ to me, then it would be selfish for me to refuse it when millions of people are waiting for one :cool:
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just dont believe in organ donation
:confused:

I WANT TO BE BURIED WITH MY ORGANS
Why? It's not like you will know any different when you are dead.
slacker07906
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was tryiing to find it in the bible however there's nothing there that actually says it's bad so it's a personal choice and i agree, however I'd only donate for my family members, and if i needed an organ I wouldnt have long to wait because my family would get tested and i'm sure one of them is a match if not eh loool I wouldn't take i from anyone else because it's not mine and I would rather die than have some unknown persons organ in me
Ok...well say that on your death bed.
Grund
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ok let me set this right

You could bring in points along the lines of the fact that donating your organs should be something which you personally decide to do because you believe it is right and your duty, which is most ethical, and it shouldn't be something which people are being opted for in the first place and being forced to choose to opt out.

It can also be an emotional thing for people; they may not want to give their organs away, but may know someone who died on the waiting list and so feel guilted into not opting out. And so forcibly having to give away their organs. Where as if they weren't on the list in the first place, they wouldn't feel such a degree of pressure.

There's also the fact that some people may not feel comfortable giving away their organs, but they may feel like they're being unjust by actively opting out- so they don't, and end up staying on the donor list when it's not something they ever wanted to happen or would have personally chosen otherwise.

With a Christian view (since this is for your ethics class): Organs are also very personal and a part of you which God gave you, and making organ doning compulsory gives your body and it's 'contents' less worth, and gives out the message that it is expected of you by society. It's not our bodies to tamper with; they are a gift from God and it shouldn't be expected of us that we should take control of our bodies when they're not rightfully ours to tamper with. And it does state in the Bible that our bodies are merely "temples" of God's; he 'owns' them, so it shouldn't be our decision. (By the way if any Christian is going to start arguing with this and say that organ donatin is agape love etc, I'm just trying to help out and this is just another point that can be said; like every point it can be aruged against to a degree, I realise this, so don't bother)
slacker07906
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
wow everyone stop picking on me Its just how I feel. Im not a selfish person Im really not, but I just would never give an organ due to my interpretation of the bible. Sorry if you dont agree with this!
Boristhethird
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
yes, people dont need their bodies when they are dead.

you could have the opt out initially set by the parents on birth (so religious family's can opt out from the start), and make it changeable later on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (261)
26.69%
No (717)
73.31%

Watched Threads