Turn on thread page Beta

University: Not Worth It? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darkademic)
    I have a friend who runs a photography business (we made his website), and we've made websites for a couple of other photographers as well.

My friend said he's glad he went to uni, but he's never really communicated that he learned a massive amount from it; in terms of the technical or artistic skills involved. He also says that photography is very much about making contacts and building up a portfolio. That's kind of the impression we've got from the other photographers we've dealt with.

Although I'd personally say it's probably not worth it, I wouldn't dismiss going to university altogether even for photography; there might be some really good courses out there. It also depends on how skilled/knowledgeable you are already and if you think you really need the academic oversight or the learning environment that a university provides.

As for setting up a business, it's actually really easy if you do it as a sole trader. You can also get a lot of support from Business Link if you need advice/help, including free sessions and seminars with various advisors.
    Yeah I think going to uni would be useful in many respects, I'm just not sure whether it's worth the amount that it costs. I already have a paid Photography job, in the field of photography I'm particularly interested in (sports), although it's only part-time it's given me an insight into the business side of things. I've built some contacts up in other fields of photography (mainly advertising and fashion) due to previous work experience placements. I may not get into uni anyway so I may have to look at alternatives, I've already been rejected from two on the basis of my portfolio so it's not looking promising. Thanks for your input anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Est.)
    On average, graduates make more money than non-graduates in their entire lifetime, not just starting salaries.

In USA graduates make $1 million more, in UK they make on average £100,000 more in a lifetime.
    Taxes bruv. Its dem TAXES.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.