Midsomer Murders embroiled in race row Watch

Poll: Your view?
His comments were racist and unacceptable (11)
12.64%
He made a fair point, Midsomer should reflect the reality of rural England (47)
54.02%
OMGZZZZ PC GONE MAAAAD! (14)
16.09%
Who cares? Midsomer is crap. Ed Miliband for PM. (15)
17.24%
heslopian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Brian True-May said some really stupid stuff, but the programme is now so bad that I find it hard to care.
There was a time, not long ago, when Midsomer Murders boasted dark, atmospheric mysteries tinged with whimsical humour which delivered two hours of solid suspense and escapism. Now the characters are so broadly drawn they make Miss Scarlet look nuanced, the stories pay lip service to taboos such as incest without ever following them through, so it becomes pathetic exploitation, and therefore nothing has any substance or depth. Even the problems are easy to solve. I sussed a lot of the stupidly named "Dark Secrets" (another sign of how lifeless and generic the series has become) long before the final reveal, and even those twists which I didn‘t I didn‘t care enough about to kick myself as a result. Even the characters looked bored! One young man discovers he's the product of an incestuous relationship and that he's been sleeping with his aunt, and all he can do is stare sullenly. Whereas early titles like "The Killings at Badger's Drift" and "Written in Blood" were thrilling and almost scary at times, this is limper than limp. The show now seems like a cross between Footballer's Wives and an Agatha Christie novel without the intricate plotting. Utter crap. Though, to be fair, it isn't the new boy's fault. These problems were evident well into Nettles' career as Barnaby.
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well on the one hand, purposely not including non-whites is discrimination and therefore not entirely fair for those who have foreign parents but were born here.

But on the other hand, I think it's only weirdo extremists and fannywipes who actually get offended by it, so if you're not harming anyone important then it should be ok.

But I dunno...
BlueEyedEurope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Lets have a look at how the claws of Multiculutralism have dug deep into British culture

1. Multicultural facisists up in arms because a quaint English village does not resemble London or Birmniham.

2. A Pakistani women suing the produers over lord of the rings because they were looking for white hobbits. Despite lord of thr rings being extensiely based in anglo saxon mythology and was intentionally being written to reflect old Anglo saxon culture.

3. Watching the series Robin Hood, I was shocked at the Number of black knights (yes thats right black as in African/'Caribbean) riding around Sherwood forest

4. The recent Narnia film which was written by C.S Lewis was intended to reflect and mirror the bible with Aslan being Christ. However the multiculturalists spat their venom stating that Aslan could represent Muhammed or Shiva

Is there not one part of our culture that we native brits can call our own ? Is there not one part of our ancient stories, plays and legends that are free from the claws of white hating multiculturalists.

do we not have the right to preserve our culture.

Multiculturalism = anti white hate
BlueEyedEurope
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mad Cat Lady)
Well on the one hand, purposely not including non-whites is discrimination and therefore not entirely fair for those who have foreign parents but were born here. But on the other hand, I think it's only weirdo extremists and fannywipes who actually get offended by it, so if you're not harming anyone important then it should be ok.

But I dunno...
No it is not. You clearly are ignorant of the British legal system. It is perfectly acceptable to discriminate against race or sex in employment if their is a functional reason i.e. "women staff only at a womends underwear shop" or where there is a neccessity for genuinity i.e. Chinese waiters at a chinese restaurant or a white man playing Henry the 8th.
Mad Cat Lady
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BlueEyedEurope)
No it is not. You clearly are ignorant of the British legal system. It is perfectly acceptable to discriminate against race or sex in employment if their is a functional reason i.e. "women staff only at a womends underwear shop" or where there is a neccessity for genuinity i.e. Chinese waiters at a chinese restaurant or a white man playing Henry the 8th.
Yes that's true, but this is a little more vague than the specifics of a woman needing to model womens underwear etc, there's no expectation that only English people will live in the English countryside, it's not really that weird in some villages... I'm not saying he's racist at all, I was just presenting both sides of the argument. I think this is just a huge media hype made from nothing really.
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ajmac)
That's what small typical english villages are like. It's not racist as such but he's a bit of a tit for saying it! Probably should have kept it to himself!
Erm, why shouldn't he say if it isn't spreading racial hatred or inciting violence?

Freedom of speech FAIL.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (47)
29.19%
No - I got the required grades (94)
58.39%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (20)
12.42%

Watched Threads