15.6" Screen. Too Big.
    2.6kg. Too heavy.
    25-34 mm thick. Too bulky.
    3.5 hour battery life. Too low.

Try again?
    Maybe not :P
    The alienware Mx11

ReputationRep:
    am not a mac fan but its gotta be pro, no matter what so ever everyone is saying on here but the truth of the matter is pro is better than air. simples!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PopABottle)
    The alienware Mx11
    Except that comes to pretty much the same price as the 13" MBP is.
    I am not saying that the 13" MBP does not have competition. It does. But the competition is priced around the same point (when you take into consideration the student discount).
    Sometimes you will find something a little cheaper (£50 - £100 cheaper), but certainly you will NEVER find something half the price (which is what the person I was replying to was claiming).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    A bit ironic linking to a story about security when saying Windows is better .
    At the end of the day, both platforms are as vulnerable as the other.
    The difference is that because Windows has the much bigger market share, more malware is targetted towards that platform.

Exactly why Microsoft release consistent updates to "harden" the system. But over time as iOS users increase so too will the malware. You already have major AV vendors releasing antimalware solutions for macs.

ReputationRep:
    I am not saying that the 13" MBP does not have competition. It does. But the competition is priced around the same point (when you take into consideration the student discount).
    Sometimes you will find something a little cheaper (£50 - £100 cheaper), but certainly you will NEVER find something half the price (which is what the person I was replying to was claiming).
    The thing is, the student discount is applicable to people on this forum for the most part, but for the majority of the populace, since the discount doesn't apply, a similar to identical Windows machine will be cheaper - though I agree with you, half price is just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    fail

ReputationRep:
    No... it isn't even priced near the MBP. The MBP starts at $999 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTM3NjY1OTU). Whilst the Mx11 is at $599 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x/pd).

ReputationRep:
    No... it isn't even priced near the MBP. The MBP starts at $999 (http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...co=MTM3NjY1OTU). Whilst the Mx11 is at $599 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-m11x/pd).
    First of all, UK prices please.
    Secondly, with the student discount in mind (as I was talking about my own decision to buy a MBP), the Alienware is £780 (with 2GB RAM) while the Macbook Pro is £850 (with 4GB RAM).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    fail
    What is the point of saying "fail" without telling me how I've failed?

ReputationRep:
    This is not a PC vs Mac thread, please read the Tech forum rules before posting.

Personally? Macbook pro all the way, I have an iPad 2 and a Macbook Pro, the iPad 2 fills the portability gap quite nicely, although if i could only have one it would be the Pro. They are powerful and reliable machines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    This is not a PC vs Mac thread, please read the Tech forum rules before posting.

Personally? Macbook pro all the way, I have an iPad 2 and a Macbook Pro, the iPad 2 fills the portability gap quite nicely, although if i could only have one it would be the Pro. They are powerful and reliable machines.
    Are you UK or US based? Did you get your ipad2 via international delivery?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)
    Are you UK or US based? Did you get your ipad2 via international delivery?
    UK, Brother was out in the US and brought one home.

ReputationRep:
    I think the pro is better im looking at getting one soon and looked at the air as well but the air only has 2 usb's and no disk drive which could be annoying. Also the internet thing is a pain especially when you're at uni cause if there's no wireless you have to buy an apple ethernet adapter which uses one of the usb ports!
    But they're both good laptops and fast which is why i want one even if they are more expensive than windows ones!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The 13" Macbook Pro is JUST the right size

ReputationRep:
    First of all, UK prices please.
    Secondly, with the student discount in mind (as I was talking about my own decision to buy a MBP), the Alienware is £780 (with 2GB RAM) while the Macbook Pro is £850 (with 4GB RAM).
    I ain't UK haha lol

ReputationRep:
    I ain't UK haha lol
    Then your opinion is pretty pointless then.
    As for one I think the UK apple discount is different to the US one (plus we get extra perks like a free 3 year warranty). And secondly, the cost of Dell (who own Alienware) laptops is much more over here.

So as I said, the Alienware one you mentioned is £780. The MBP with the student discount, is £850. With the MBP you get double the RAM (4GB compared to 2GB in the alienware) and a free 3 year warranty.

ReputationRep:
    Macbook Air, for use on the go, but the pro one to use at home or somewhere but not on the move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suhayb08)
    Macbook Air, for use on the go, but the pro one to use at home or somewhere but not on the move.
    Unless you have twiglets where your bones should be, a Pro is just fine for a portable machine unless you get a 17" =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Unless you have twiglets where your bones should be, a Pro is just fine for a portable machine unless you get a 17" =P
    yea thats right, even the pro is fine for use on the go, but if YOU HAD TO CHOSE between a macbook air or pro for use when travelling, which one would you go for?? no offence yea but come on, use your logic.
    Macbook air = lighter than the pro, except when you need to do some proper core-eating task on the laptop then, power will be more important than lightness, but for just regular use, its the air.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suhayb08)
    yea thats right, even the pro is fine for use on the go, but if YOU HAD TO CHOSE between a macbook air or pro for use when travelling, which one would you go for?? no offence yea but come on, use your logic.
    Macbook air = lighter than the pro, except when you need to do some proper core-eating task on the laptop then, power will be more important than lightness, but for just regular use, its the air.
    if i had to choose i'd choose the one that did everything I needed , not the air which does only some of them. Realistically, any logical reason to get the Air went out the window when the 13" MBP was introduced.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 3, 2011
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.