[2011] 15" Macbook Pro & Student Discount Watch

Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emmanuel321)
Which do you have?
13" 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo.
Emmanuel321
Badges: 0
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
13" 2010 MacBook Pro, 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo.
How do you find the screen? Tempted to just go buy one this week, currently have a 17" Toshiba nearing it's 5th birthday It could still compete with any of the recent windows laptops though xD

I don't think I would mind the 13" display..

Do you know when the "back to school" offer starts though, If it does start soonish I may as well take advantage of that with 15% HE Discount..
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Emmanuel321)
How do you find the screen? Tempted to just go buy one this week, currently have a 17" Toshiba nearing it's 5th birthday It could still compete with any of the recent windows laptops though xD

I don't think I would mind the 13" display..

Do you know when the "back to school" offer starts though, If it does start soonish I may as well take advantage of that with 15% HE Discount..
I have no problems with it whatsoever, I've spent the last few years using 15" machines and barely noticed the change. Unless you're going to actually need screen real estate or the higher specs the larger machines get, you shouldn't have any problems with the screen size [=

"Back to School" usually starts July-August time, so a while off yet.
The West Wing
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Defo wait until you know if you are going to uni or not.
The HE / uni discount is larger (15% vs 10% for FE) and you get a free 3 year warranty (which means there really isn't a reason to pay for AppleCare).
(Original post by Tits&Acid)
For a low spec one, you could get all that for £1000 with the discount I'd imagine. As mine is mid-range spec on the 15" model, and you get 3 year applecare included for free when you purchase through the education site (at least I did - the uni one I mean)
I went to the store today and they said they've stopped doing the free 3 year warranty since November 2010.
NS17
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Gowrav)
Seriously? I'm not sure about the new model, but people tell me you can't. Dell are really good at customer service as well, never experienced Apple's so can't really comment. I WANT a mac, but I don't see reasons for paying soo much when I can pay a lot less and get the same spec, if not better. Can you link me to prove you replace everything on Macs? Thats was the main reason why I opted out of not buying one, if you can, then I might consider getting one
You seem to think Macs are unreliable for some strange reason.

I've owned Macintosh computers since I was 7 and I can tell you that all three of the Power Mac G4's and the iMac G3 sitting in my room back home work like they did when I unboxed them in the 90's.

I also have a 1998 PowerBook (before they were even called Macbook's) that has never died on me and believe me, I practically tortured the thing growing up. I tend to hoard vintage electronics, I don't want to part with my old systems!

Obviously, they don't even clock as fast as my phone nowadays but they're the most reliable machines you could ever buy.

I use a Macbook Pro 15" 2010 atm and it's never had a problem I haven't been able to fix, although I do repair computers and write software for a living.

There's a lot you could potentially dislike about a Mac but reliability certainly isn't an issue.
WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The West Wing)
I went to the store today and they said they've stopped doing the free 3 year warranty since November 2010.
No they haven't.
I bought my MBP in December and got the free warranty.
You only get it when you buy it online though.
And a lot of staff don't know about it.
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No they haven't.
I bought my MBP in December and got the free warranty.
You only get it when you buy it online though.
And a lot of staff don't know about it.
How do you configure it online? It doesn't seem to offer this option.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
When you click "select" on your chosen model in the student branch of the Apple store, it should be under the "service and support" category.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't need to configure it.

As long as you buy online from your universities educational store (I think you have to be connected to your universities network to get onto that), then you will get the free warranty automatically.

I got an email with my warranty information a couple of days after ordering my MBP.
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't need to configure it.

As long as you buy online from your universities educational store (I think you have to be connected to your universities network to get onto that), then you will get the free warranty automatically.

I got an email with my warranty information a couple of days after ordering my MBP.
Thanks!

My issue from a legal perspective is that if it's not advertised on the page at the point of sale then it doesn't form part of the contract - they can revoke it at any point, but I figure a reputable company wouldn't play any tricks like that.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Thanks!

My issue from a legal perspective is that if it's not advertised on the page at the point of sale then it doesn't form part of the contract - they can revoke it at any point, but I figure a reputable company wouldn't play any tricks like that.
Its in the T&C's of buying from the educational store. So they can't revoke it.
They can change the T&C's if they want to, but it wouldn't affect people who already have the warranty.

(Original post by Gofre)
When you click "select" on your chosen model in the student branch of the Apple store, it should be under the "service and support" category.
:confused:
I didn't have to do that.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They can change the T&C's if they want to, but it wouldn't affect people who already have the warranty.

:confused:
I didn't have to do that.
I know that's how they used to do it, my flatmate had to specifically pick it out when he chose it. Perhaps they simply removed the need to do it further down the road [=
The West Wing
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You are correct, thanks.
Kenny_uk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I must admit I've been enjoying the discussion on this page, as someone considering getting a macbook myself there's been some good bits here.
I've used Imacs a few times when I've been at my brothers and I must admit I've loved every minute of them and I have to agree with some of the opinions on this thread regarding the experiance and usability. Really exacited about getting mine in august!
beatlemaniak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000832

you should be able to use that link even though you're not connected to our network.

also the cinema display is ridiculously expensive. if you want an external screen you can get pretty big ones very cheaply these days

and i'd recommend upgrading the screen to the high-res version. i notice a fair bit of difference
hi Man.how about getting the 3 years warranty?
i checked the link u provided and i went actually nearly bought it.they didnt ask me any cards or uni proofs.but how about getting extended warranty?
didgeridoo12uk
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beatlemaniak)
hi Man.how about getting the 3 years warranty?
i checked the link u provided and i went actually nearly bought it.they didnt ask me any cards or uni proofs.but how about getting extended warranty?
you get a three year warranty due to EU law anyway. when you get to the checkout you should be able to add in the cheap extended applecare. i personally wouldn't bother with it though
vazee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just took a look to an Apple Store for Education and I found that the price of Macbook pro is reduced only on £60. £939 instead of £999. Does it mean that this "great" students discount for Apple is only 6% ?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by vazee)
I just took a look to an Apple Store for Education and I found that the price of Macbook pro is reduced only on £60. £939 instead of £999. Does it mean that this "great" students discount for Apple is only 6% ?
The generic education store is for college students. If you go through a university URL like this one you get the full 14%.
vazee
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
The generic education store is for college students. If you go through a university URL like this one you get the full 14%.
Thanks for the link. I didnt know it. Is it possible to buy macbook not using university network? Some people say it is possible to buy from apple store before studies, some say not. Would I get 3 years Apple warranty or iPod buying macbook as a student this year?
Intriguing Alias
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by vazee)
Thanks for the link. I didnt know it. Is it possible to buy macbook not using university network? Some people say it is possible to buy from apple store before studies, some say not. Would I get 3 years Apple warranty or iPod buying macbook as a student this year?
You can buy from the link gofre provided no problem. You'll get 3 year watranty . The iPod was a promotion in the august back to school deals apple have. Last year it was downgraded from a printer + iPod touch to a £60 iTunes voucher afaik.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a role model?

Yes - I know them personally (296)
25.92%
Yes - they're famous (292)
25.57%
No I don't (554)
48.51%

Watched Threads