Danny.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
banjkan3
Badges: 0
Report 7 years ago
PwC. Isn't it a bit of a no-brainer though?... Television contracts such that 2 BILLION people worldwide could receive coverage, massive influx of tourists to central london, memorabilia all over the shop, loads of wedding related jobs & such. Not to mention most of the wedding was probably contracted out to people who... you guessed it... pay taxes! The revenue is probably orders of magnitude higher than the cost of the wedding. I'm not an analyst so I don't know how the bank holiday factors in, but funnily enough that's not what the staunch anti-royalists are complaining about :rolleyes:
wheelyjoe
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ~ABR~)
They earned nothing of the estates they supposedly own. I don't disagree with inheriting family wealth, but if you go back you will find that this inherited wealth was never earned to begin with.

Taking money that belongs to the people is what most kings and queens do, especially with imperial mentality.
This is hilarious, you make a wrong statement, someone corrects you, and you say no. Basically, he's come back with a sensible, well reasoned argument which you've entirely ignored.

They have a huge amount of wealth because they own several COUNTIES. Jeez, the Queen is the monarch of 26 countries, she has enough real estate.

You can't post a topic and then just be blind to anyone that opposes you.

Oh wait, it's the internet, you can.
f00ddude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ~ABR~)
false
well, some one has just shown their serious lack of knowledge then

the wedding is payed for in full by the monachy, not a single penny is payed for by british tax payers other than security, which is in the interest of the public rather than the royals.
Tommyjw
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ~ABR~)
And people who say it's their money they can do whatever: Actually no. It's not their money.
Well actually, yes it is.

To the original point.
They can spend the money on whatever they want.
The wedding, whatever costs it may produce, will bring in a vast amount to charities.
If the money was not spent on the flowers, it would not have been spent on anything else. There is no 'ok, we have 800k, flowers or solving problems?'.

The wedding was amazing, they are their family. They are allowed to spend whatever the hell they want to give their family the best wedding available. Most weddings costs a crazy amount (when put in to proportion to income) but you are only hating on this one just because of the scale.
nerdman09
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tefhel)
Err, did you not see that instead of registering for gifts they are asking for donations for charity instead, and have like 20 charities on there?
Considering the amount of foreign royalty there, they're gonna get some pretty hefty donations.

I bet you don't do that for your wedding.
Well played Sir :sexface:
rmanoj
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ~ABR~)
They earned nothing of the estates they supposedly own. I don't disagree with inheriting family wealth, but if you go back you will find that this inherited wealth was never earned to begin with.

Taking money that belongs to the people is what most kings and queens do, especially with imperial mentality.
They acquired most of those estates long before such ideas of "earning" your wealth or being a self-made man were prevalent. The Duchies of Cornwall and Lancaster were granted as fiefs to the sons of Edward III. But the point is that they've always had the legal title to those lands, because the crown had that power in those days. Are you going to trace every old family's history, work out if they were granted their land for less-than-savoury reasons, and if so, confiscate it? That would be theft.
Stop trying to apply modern standards to the Middle Ages.

Edit: And much of the Crown Estate arose from the consolidation of the Royal Demesne at the expense of the feudal nobility (although we did it earlier and more easily than than the French, whose Royal Demesne was almost entirely the legacy of Philip II Augustus). Without it, we would probably have remained a complete feudal mess, like the Holy Roman Empire, as opposed to a functioning state.
shaz111
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
However expensive the wedding was, the fact of the matter is the monarchy is bloody good business, the amount of tourist revenue the family generate alone amounts to the billions every year, so you know what it doesn't matter a bit, its business, and when you have a business you have to invest some of your profits.
Shuvel
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't the Royals actually do a lot of charity? More than you'll ever do in your life infact. It says more about whoever was put in charge of sourcing flowers for them. He's probably out on the street since William seen the bill.
dotty_but_good
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It just occurred to me surely those trees in Westminster, which must have been a large portion of the cost, are going to be planted somewhere. I know they put Diana's bouquet on the tomb of the unknown soldier surely they will do the same with Kate's.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dotty_but_good)
It just occurred to me surely those trees in Westminster, which must have been a large portion of the cost, are going to be planted somewhere. I know they put Diana's bouquet on the tomb of the unknown soldier surely they will do the same with Kate's.
I think they're going to be planted at Highgrove after the wedding.
Van Grall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Can solve 400 badly organised weddings or funerals.
muffingg
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ~ABR~)
So I was looking at the cost of the floral displays at the royal wedding and it amounted to $ 800,000. I find that to be ridiculous because it is completely unnecessary to spend that much money on freaking flowers that would probably be thrown away the same night.

So what can $800,000 actually solve if it was spent elsewhere?

It costs $10,000 to build one well in Darfur, and they are currently in a water crisis from the aftermath of the massacre.

There is a U.N-supported initiative called 1,000 Wells for Darfur after Dr. Farouk El-Baz's team found a megalake under darfour with remote-sensing technology.

Therefore, $800,000 can build 80 wells in Darfur which is enough to give several villages the water supply they need for 100 years. Yes 100 years.

So what other problems can you think of which $800,000 will solve?
Feed over 2500 people suffering in poverty for a year.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I had a bottle of champagne yesterday. It cost about £50. I didn't really need to drink it, the bottle was thrown away the next day and so forth. Mysteriously, though, I don't feel remotely guilty about not having given that £50 to charity. I do things that I like to do - and in social occasions, I do what's expected of me even if it is entirely for show.

Such is life. I can and do give to charity, but it doesn't mean that charitable causes have any sort of claim on my money.

Anyway, let's face it, people overseas live in poverty because they have awful and/or corrupt governments. All the charity in the world ain't going to fix that.
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tony_Soprano1)
800,000 1 dollar prostitutes! will solve 800,000 randy old mens fantasys! and eliminate rape off this planet!
Oh purlese, as if there are $1 hookers.

I know some cost around £100 for an hour so that's 8000 men made happy.
Unless you count extra's which can range from £20 upwards.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (212)
39.41%
No - but I will (38)
7.06%
No - I don't want to (36)
6.69%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (252)
46.84%

Watched Threads