Energy saving lighbulbs cause cancer even when not broken and switched on Watch

The-Real-One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by CitizensUnited)
And just how do they emit these chemicals? Glass is inert and the chemicals are inside the glass.

I reckon people should accept there is a risk of cancer associated with everything but no, everybody has to live until they're 120 and die of old age and any other cause of death must be investigated until somebody or something is to blame. Why can't people just accept that they'll die? [rant over]
Funny you should say that. I am taking out life insurance when I get a job to prepare for when I die, I can put my brain into cryogenic storage so one day, even if it is hundreds of years later, I can be brought back to life and put into a computer.

Just need to live long enough to live forever. So I take a pretty strong stance on things that are going to reduce my life expectancy.
Elwyn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
People have different interests in their health and consider different things to be worth doing. For example I use a glass bottle to carry water in - there are several benefits to that but primarily I do it to avoid the inevitable small doses of "chemicals" one receives when drinking from plastic bottles, especially ones you repeatedly re-use. To some people that would be a tremendous effort and absolutely not worth doing, but it's just normal to me and a simple habit. In fact it's kind of easier because I've used the same bottle for over 18 months.

Many others are just simple choices between products or types of products, most of which you didn't really need in the first place. I don't know, I never feel burdened by my efforts to minimise contamination by all our modern poisons - if anything it just makes life easier. You have to go out of your way to expose yourself to many, but people do because it gets sold to them.

no, no one thinks that
Ahhh the old 'plasticide free' bottle. I guess you are just one of those people who thinks of the little things, although to me they make no difference, I could spend my life worrying over the little things in attempt to extend my life expectancy and still get run over by a bus tommorow. I guess different people just have different priorities.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JGR)
I am not conducting tests on CFLs or these preliminary results, and without a copy of the report, can't comment on whether the perceived risk is substantiated.
My point is not that CFLs are perfectly safe, for nothing is perfectly safe, but that CFLs are in no way new or novel, and indeed have been used in differing form-factors with no controversy at all for decades. It is therefore odd that great clouds of controversy and claims of carcinogenic effects are bandied about now, when if that is the case, should also be applied to strip-lighting, both now and in the past, which people seem to ignore.
I think you're missing the point a little there - yes, fluorescent tubes have been around for decades, but CFLs (and the ban on many common bulbs) means we are now being exposed to fluorescent tubes for a much greater proportion of time and at much closer proximity. It doesn't seem silly then to investigate the potential health effects, as if there are any they will affect more people now their usage is more widespread.
Ich Dien
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ROFL at the first comment on the article..

(Original post by Lord Egbut Nobacon)
Thank goodness for this report. I will stop smoking them immediately.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.83%
No - but I will (115)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.98%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (699)
47.39%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise