Are there any members of the English Royal Family at University at the moment? Watch

medic_armadillo7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jandrews1471)
and if they are where are they? lol
What are you looking to hook up with one of them? :-|
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jandrews1471)
and if they are where are they? lol
No such thing; it's the Monarchy of the UK. They are more Scottish and German than English anyway. If you're being really techincal it's the Royal Family of the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth states.

As already mentioned Eugenie started at Newcastle in 2009. Studying Combined honours, I think, probably taking some History of Art as it's a typical upper class subject. Beatrice is at Goldsmiths studying English (started in 2008 so she will be graduated in a couple of months).

There are a number of minor Royals at university. The rest of the Queen's grandchildren are either older (and chose not to go to University) or are far too young to attend university; Viscount Severn and Lady Louise Windsor, children of Prince Edward (three years old and seven years old respectively)

(Original post by Wick3d)
Yet he stilled studied at St.Andrews. Wonder how he got into there. :rolleyes:
Because typical offers were much lower in the late 1990s, increasing over the years due to grade inflation and increasing numbers applying. When I applied in 2002 it was possible to get into St Andrews (as well as Durham, UCL and a number of other "top" universities) with ABC. I managed to get into Durham with BBB for a course that now requires AAA (my offer was ABB and I had significant mitigating circumstances).
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Honeybear.)
i'd love to hook up with Eugenie
ORLY?

Oldmantax
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by callum9999)
ABC at A-level (Geography, History of Art and Biology - not exactly "mediocre" subjects) then a 2:1 Honours degree is far higher than the average person gets... Hardly "pretty thick".

Not sure if you are suggesting corruption or not, but if you are, by achieving the entry requirements of the course...

I have no idea how competitive Geography at St. Andrews is, and being the Prince clearly helped get him an offer, but he still had to get the grades like anyone else (and for all we know, he would have been made the offer whether he was the prince or not).
I just checked the entrance requirements for art history at St Andrews - AAB. So yes, corruption. And any future king is guaranteed a place at Cambridge, despite being pretty stupid. William just decided that that might be a bit embarrassing, seeing as his a levels are distinctly average.
But at least he's brighter than Harry
GildedButterfly
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
any know what kate got at a-level?
sundogs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Beatrice used to go to Goldsmiths and started at UCL in 2010
HarryA
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by und)
Money is not the only measure of success, and arguably much less important than other qualities. You're deluded if you seriously think having money means having it all...
You need to learn to read and understand what you read mate. The guy said that Prince Harry and William are thick because they didn't get straight As or whatever at school, and I'm saying that even though people do bad at school it doesn't make them thick. Sugar and Branson were examples of people who did bad at school but clearly they aren't thick - if they were, they wouldn't be so successful.

The part were I said they have more money than he'll ever have was more of a stab at the poster.
und
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by CB91)
Good grades don't equal being clever either.
(Original post by Tommyjw)
The ability to build and manage incredibly successful business > Doing well on A-levels because you revise
When did I ever mention grades being a good measure of success? Don't put words into my mouth.

I'd much rather be a happy man with a lovely family in the future than someone who's obsessed with money, and I'd feel that I'd succeeded more in life.

(Original post by HarryA)
You need to learn to read and understand what you read mate. The guy said that Prince Harry and William are thick because they didn't get straight As or whatever at school, and I'm saying that even though people do bad at school it doesn't make them thick. Sugar and Branson were examples of people who did bad at school but clearly they aren't thick - if they were, they wouldn't be so successful.

The part were I said they have more money than he'll ever have was more of a stab at the poster.
The bit in bold was what I was picking up on. I do agree with what you're saying, but there are millions of people who are just as successful in their own ways as Lord Sugar and Richard Branson, but would not be perceived as as such.
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ilickbatteries)
If you were that clever, you'd work harder.
I'm quite clever, just lazy. But clever enough to know that A-levels aren't the be all and end all. Clever enough to havean escape plan should my A-levels not go to plan. Clever enough to know when I need to try and when I can coast. Just look at how some of the greatest minds of the last few centuries did at my age. A lot of the weren't straigh A students. Not that I claim to be a great mind, just sayin'
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Oldmantax)
I just checked the entrance requirements for art history at St Andrews - AAB. So yes, corruption. And any future king is guaranteed a place at Cambridge, despite being pretty stupid. William just decided that that might be a bit embarrassing, seeing as his a levels are distinctly average.
So you're saying because the grades he got 11years ago in an exam system that no longer exists doesn't match up on paper to the highly inflated and [debatably] easier system of today he only got his place because of corruption?

Why not look at what the entry requirements were when he entered, or is that just far too much common sense for you?
*Corinna*
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
ABC at A-level (Geography, History of Art and Biology - not exactly "mediocre" subjects) then a 2:1 Honours degree is far higher than the average person gets... Hardly "pretty thick".

well for someone who went to the best schools in the country and probably had all the help anyone could get it's not that good! And his subjects aren't that difficult, it's not like he had further maths. Also, I doubt the average student doesn't finish with a 2:1. I remember checking uni stat, most people finish with a 2:1 or higher. Especially if they don't have to worry about money/working etc...
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xristina)
well for someone who went to the best schools in the country and probably had all the help anyone could get it's not that good! And his subjects aren't that difficult, it's not like he had further maths. Also, I doubt the average student doesn't finish with a 2:1. I remember checking uni stat, most people finish with a 2:1 or higher. Especially if they don't have to worry about money/working etc...
It was 11 years ago, ffs... The exam system was radically different and much harder. A grades were rare. It's not like nowadays when anybody spelling their name right on the answer sheet will automatically get at least a B...

Might not have to worry about money, but did you have to worry about having papparazzi following you around or the fact that for the rest of your natural born life you'll be followed by people with guns because you're a target? Probably not...
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
1. He didn't do History.
2. He started his degree ages ago - something like 2001/2002. The entry requirements would have been lower.

ABC at A-level then a 2:1 doesn't mean you are "pretty stupid".
callum9999
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Xristina)
I'm not saying he's a genius, I'm just saying it's ridiculous to call him "thick". Especially as grades can't be used to come to that conclusion anyway - the only way you could judge someone as thick with low grades is if they put in 100% effort. Otherwise it's more likely they are unmotivated or uninterested in doing particularly well in those exams.

And being the future King gives you nothing to worry about?
jandrews1471
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by River85)
No such thing; it's the Monarchy of the UK. They are more Scottish and German than English anyway. If you're being really techincal it's the Royal Family of the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth states.

As already mentioned Eugenie started at Newcastle in 2009. Studying Combined honours, I think, probably taking some History of Art as it's a typical upper class subject. Beatrice is at Goldsmiths studying English (started in 2008 so she will be graduated in a couple of months).

There are a number of minor Royals at university. The rest of the Queen's grandchildren are either older (and chose not to go to University) or are far too young to attend university; Viscount Severn and Lady Louise Windsor, children of Prince Edward (three years old and seven years old respectively)

Because typical offers were much lower in the late 1990s, increasing over the years due to grade inflation and increasing numbers applying. When I applied in 2002 it was possible to get into St Andrews (as well as Durham, UCL and a number of other "top" universities) with ABC. I managed to get into Durham with BBB for a course that now requires AAA (my offer was ABB and I had significant mitigating circumstances).
Lol I don't think it matters what I called them particuarly, as long as everyone gets the idea. This has been the best response though.
jandrews1471
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
For the people that keep asking why, I was just interested and also I love how much this has gone off topic and turned into a debate about intelligence ha.
Slumpy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Steevee)
Maybe Will just didn't try at A-level? On account of him being all Royal and whatnot. I'm above average intelligence ( :facepalm2: I know :rolleyes: ) and had good GCSE results. But I'm not trying at AS level yet and am on D's. I know people a lot less intelligent than me that are getting A's because they put the work in. Grades do not equal intelligence.
Subject dependent, most relatively clever people will still get mostly As at A level without working.

(Original post by HarryA)

Success isn't necesarilly an indicator of intelligence, unless defined in a particular way.

Applications to St Andrews skyrocketed after he went, and grade requirements followed. I think he might have got higher grades than he needed for the course.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
It was 11 years ago, ffs... The exam system was radically different and much harder. A grades were rare. It's not like nowadays when anybody spelling their name right on the answer sheet will automatically get at least a B......
Whilst grade inflation has taken place over the last ten years but A grades, although not as common as they are now (10% of students certainly didn't achieve AAA) were certainly not rare then and were still relatively common. Straight As were perhaps relatively rare.

William would've been the second to last year to take A-levels before the changes to a more modular AS/A2 system in 2000 which some argue has increased grade inflation.

I can't really count myself, or my peers, in this as although I took my A-levels in 2001 - 2003 it was still post the 2000 changes. But amongst my brother and his peers (1999 -2001) As were common (with a number achieving straight As)

Typical offers, particularly at St Andrews, were lower.

For Prince Charles' generation As were certainly rare.

:facepalm:

Also, you are aware that a typical offer in one or two of Cambridge's courses (can't remember exactly which ones now) were ABB around that time? So he's only one grade off.

(Original post by sundogs)
Beatrice used to go to Goldsmiths and started at UCL in 2010
As mentioned, she's still at Goldsmiths (just about). She will graduate this summer.
TheGrandmaster
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah, but considering he had the best education money can buy and he could only get ABC... sounds pretty thick to me.
Warrior King
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Zara Phillips went o Exeter and I think her brother did too if it means anything.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.71%
No - but I will (29)
6.03%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.4%

Watched Threads