The Student Room Group

Post your stereotypical views of students..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oliviaonthetrain
I'm curious to hear about the stereotypes of literature students... :smile:

Very pale girls with frizzy hair.
Reply 41

this.
Also, your sig is awesome :heart:
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude

Lol - I guess I don't fit into the stereotype then!

Original post by BookWormShanti
this.
Also, your sig is awesome :heart:

Thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by ilickbatteries
LOL

What?

I don't think you can stereotype many students based on how they act and what they wear.

Pretty much everyone, unless your 6th form requires a uniform, dresses casually.

Most students drink.

A logical style of answering essay questions is the case in every essay subject.

Au contraire, not everyone dresses 'casually'. And having a debate with a psychologists can be quite tedious as their main counter argument for everything is 'provide me with a valid source for that reference'. Trust me. I belong to them, but then again these are stereotypes that I HAVE, and the thread is unfortunately not about how valid or true my stereotypes are.
Reply 44
Original post by SchadenfreudeDude

:sigh:
What about moderately pale girls with slightly frizzy hair?
Reply 45
Lit students - claim to be open and interested in everything life has to give them, but then you suggest going to the science museum rather than the tate modern and they kick up a **** fit. Open minded my ass.
Reply 46
Computer Science - IMO a vast majority of them are extreme slackers who enjoy whining about how much work they have (though this is a characteristic shared by many students). The weird thing I've noticed about comp sci students is that, from my experience, none of them are particularly interested in new technology! I've never seen a comp sci with an overly advanced phone or an ipad!

Art students - Very bitter people and feel patronized rather quickly! Its like Art students have been conditioned to believe that everybody looks down upon them! However they are quite sociable and friendly but generally avoid mainstream/popular nightclubs and pubs!

Mech Eng - Can be divided into 2 types. 1. Very nerdy and prolific students. Dresses quite casually and tend to have a bitter outlook on their course (due to the extreme lack of females). Most of them look older than what they actually are! 2. The 'clever' student, spends minimal time studying, parties alot and hard and is able to charm most girls! The type who looks like they don't possess any knowledge at all but secretly does.

English Lit - Grammar Nazis. Quite similar to the Arts students yet they can come across as a bit pretentious and arrogant due to their, occasional, informal way of speaking. Also can be seen as boring as they are able to endure books which I consider to be fatally horrible.
Original post by nunugab
Au contraire, not everyone dresses 'casually'. And having a debate with a psychologists can be quite tedious as their main counter argument for everything is 'provide me with a valid source for that reference'. Trust me. I belong to them, but then again these are stereotypes that I HAVE, and the thread is unfortunately not about how valid or true my stereotypes are.

Whenever I've been on a uni campus I've never seen anyone who isn't dressed casually, but I suppose I'll see that for myself next year :biggrin:

Psychology students do have to reference everything tbf, poor souls
Original post by BookWormShanti
:sigh:
What about moderately pale girls with slightly frizzy hair?

Your mind tricks won't work on me, frizzy hair-ed one! :cool:
Reply 49
My uni doesn't have a medical school but my general stereotype of medics is that they're similar in nature to aspiring IB'ers. They're quite sneaky and manipulative as they're able to endure anything in order to enhance their CV and gain admission to medical school. Once they've been admitted they can come across as a bit pretentious and arrogant yet I believe that this attitude is somewhat justified. Essentially a great majority of medics are all after prestige, status and money. On the other hand some genuinely want to help people and are quite compassionate. They also tend to be left-wing and humanitarians.

IMO law students can be divided into 3 stereotypes;
1. The middle-class student who was pressurized into Law. Generally is quite snobby and upscale and thrives of the 'prestige' a Law student has. The only thing motivating him is money and prestige. Tends to party alot and also tends to feel the need to inform anyone within a 10m radius that they're studying law (especially if they're at prestigious university...Bristol Law Students I'm so obviously looking at you :biggrin:). Dresses rather upscale & tends to splurge openly.

2. Students who are generally interested in Law and aspire to help people, perhaps work with people who are undergoing immigration issues etc. These are quite compassionate and have a general indie vibe attached to them. They often engage in humanitarian discussions and are generally left-wing.

3. International students who try way too hard to look posh.
I may regret this but... Drama students?
Reply 51
Original post by ilickbatteries
Whenever I've been on a uni campus I've never seen anyone who isn't dressed casually, but I suppose I'll see that for myself next year :biggrin:

Psychology students do have to reference everything tbf, poor souls

Yeah the referencing aspect definitely has an influence on our debating technique haha :biggrin:, well I guess dressing 'casually' can be interpreted differently but I'm basing it partly on what I've experienced myself and my general stereotypical views. Also I'm from Sweden so I base 'dressing casually' on my indoctrinated criteria. Essentially dressing casually, imo, is quite paradoxal as it entails being a relatively neat slob :tongue: [
I want to hear the History stereotype!
Law students- the most overoptimistic tend to be doing it for "social status" pleasing the parents

Economics students- 12 inch cocks! (im an economist)

Medics- Work like crazy but never admit it

Accounting- Optimistic highly driven will kill you for a freddo but never get far

Psychology- Bimbo
Original post by RachieClare_x
I may regret this but... Drama students?

Social, in with the "Cool crowd" always have to be the most popular of the group. Over-sensitive, sometimes arrogant. Wear yellow and purple cardigans and vests.
Original post by nunugab

Politics - Intellectual and well-versed students. Very insightful and can be quite arrogant. Generally though they're nice people who are well-rounded. Tends to drink alot. Dresses quite smart & upscale.

Lol, my best friend's younger cousin is about to go to uni to study politics, and let's just say 'intellectual and well-versed' aren't the first adjectives that come to mind when I think of him. Or 'dresses upscale' to be honest.

Well having been out with a girl who was studying English Lit I became familiar with her coursemates either through meeting them or hearing her going on about them. The conclusion I came to about English Lit students was...

- Nearly always female. The occasional males in the group are mainly shy types who are patronised and friend-zoned by the females. On the odd occasion where there is a good looking male literature student, he is treated as the most eligible bachelor in literary history and the girls will be fiercely competitive for his attention
- Often bitchy and super competitive. Their seminars are widely discussed and dissected afterwards (ie yeah, "and SHE said this, and you could LITERALLY hear a pin drop...I mean she had SO missed the point of the character...I just think she should keep her mouth shut, you know...")
- Generally from the higher social classes. Not a hard and fast rule (my ex was from a terraced house in Halifax) but in general there is a higher cluster of rich girls doing English Lit.
- Generally quirky fashion sense. You don't tend to find the Barbie doll types caked in make up. They are a little more Bohemian in their dress styles.
Reply 57
Original post by Rob9292
everyone says that nurses are dirty in bed..... but i'm not and no nurses i know are......

Gah! Well that does it then; no reason for me to study medicine any more.
Reply 58
Original post by TurboCretin
Lol, my best friend's younger cousin is about to go to uni to study politics, and let's just say 'intellectual and well-versed' aren't the first adjectives that come to mind when I think of him. Or 'dresses upscale' to be honest.

Fair enough but stereotypical views of students varies from university to university, as well as from city to city :tongue:
Reply 59
Music students?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending