When is suicide right? Watch

This discussion is closed.
miniteen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MyDadIsCalledJawad)
What if they don't have a loving family? Then how is it selfish?
This. When you no longer have anything or anyone to live for, and there is very little hope of it changing, then I do not see what is wrong with it.

I personally am very scared of growing old, when I won't be able to walk and I'll become a burden to others. I don't think I'll let myself get to that point. Not everyone has the same point of view on life. Both my mum and friend said that if they ever gets alzheimer's that is it for them. I could live with Alzheimer's I think, but I definitely couldn't with spinocerebellar Degeneration.

Feeling like a burden to others is a horrible feeling, and I wish it on no one. So all people in extreme pain with no hope of getting better, all those whose lives depend on others (i.e. "My sister's keeper,") have every right to commit suicide.

What would be more interesting would be to debate whether the protagonist of "7 Pounds" (with Will Smith) was right in committing suicide.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because everyone knows depression isn't a real illness, it doesn't make life not worth living or anything. :nothing:
Angie varona
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Whenever they want to.

Death is just returning to your defult state.
turn and fall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We are not in a position to judge whether one suicide is wrong and another is acceptable. We can say it is sad but not whether it is right.
Leahcar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
Would you say a person going through immense suffering and risking turning into a vegetative state is "selfish" for wanting it all to end? Surely you should be thinking about their health and not your own wellbeing here, if you're more concerned about your feelings as a healthy teenager with your whole life ahead of you when a close family member is terminally ill there is something wrong. Of course you would be upset if they died before their time, but would you rather they were free or sat unable to do anything for the rest of their days?
No, I don't agree (sorry :p:) ... my granda had lung cancer (which was terminal) and he spent his last few days in hospital just lying on his bed unable to do anything cos he was so heavily sedated and drugged up. At that point, I knew he was suffering and wanted him to get better, obviously, but I wouldn't have wanted him to commit suicide. If there's any chance of living or getting better when you're ill then there's no question about it.
If what you're saying is true, then what's to stop a 16 year old girl who's just found out she has terminal cancer from killing herself? Should she not live the rest of her time as best she can? Well I see it exactly the same way for a 76 year old man. Before my granda got too ill, he lived his life. He made more of an effort to spend time with his family when he found out he was dying and he did things he'd always wanted to do. And of course that gave the whole family a lot of comfort, he wanted to live his life, not wait for it to end.

You're going on about how the person killing themselves is feeling, but ultimitely it has very little to do with them, they'll be dead. It's the family and friends who have to live on and pick up the pieces. And I'm sorry if nobody agrees with this, but it's just how I feel.
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Between 5 am and 6 am on Saturday mornings.
surina_xxx
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SimpleJane)
why has this person been so badly negged? I agree its never right. No one should feel liike they are not worthy of living, that they cannot live their life and be happy. I think saying people who commit suicide are selfish is extreme as you have not experienced what they have been through. You have no idea of the extremity of their condition or feelings so its a little harsh to say they are cowards, especially since everyone handles things differently as some people are naturally stronger minded than others. Yes its wrong but at the same time it is their life, you can't judge them for the decisions they make, even to the extent of ending their life. The aftermath is brutal on the ones that loved the person who committed suicide, but at the end of the day I don't think there is a right or wrong with these situations. It depends on the person, the circumstances, how severe their condition etc. I don't believe its something you can say 'yeah they were right in doing that' or 'they shouldn't have done that and destroyed the lives of those close to him/her'. Its just too subjective a topic.

But I think more should be done in terms of recognising those who need help and doing more about it as it appears not much help is given to those who suffer depression etc or at least thats the impression I've got from people who have gone seeking help when things have gone spiralling out of control in their lives and they no longer no what to do. Anti-depressants seem to be the cop out now in terms of treating people and even though I've never been on them myself I don't have a lot of faith in them.

If someone is terminally ill and so disabled that they literally can no longer do anything for themselves AND they are in the correct state of mind (so no mental health problems) then I believe euthanasia could be the right path if they no longer want to carry on that way. I think thats the only exception really. But even that is controversial in itself with the whole issue of proving they are mentally stable. There's just no right answer to this question really
wooah just clocked how many people negged me! And i completly agree with what you just said

(Original post by Hurr Durr)
rofl
whats so funny!?
Paranoid Android 64
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by muffingg)
Never. Even if you think it is best for you, if you think of your family and friends, they would be the ones suffering. Thinking of my mum and dad I would never even consider suicide just for the reason how they would feel.
What about if all your loved ones had died in an accident, or something?

I think this is too much of a grey, sensitive area to prescribe exact rules.
Tonn
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How about if you are just really curious.

Come on, has no one ever sat there thinking about what happens? if there really is a heaven and hell, if god exists, or if we go to another dimension filled with rainbows, chocolate and strippers, or if we get reincarnated into eagles? That would be so cool!

Just me? well, i'm too much of a coward anyways, but I cant help thinking about just hurrying things up a bit every now and again
The-Real-One
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by thomas...)
i personally believe that one should only commit suicide when they have a long term terminal illness that is making their lives misery, when they know they will eventually end up a vegetable.
I think people who commit suicide, without warning or comforting loved ones, through depression or heartbreak are, to put it strongly, are selfish cowards.
They leave their parents, brothers, sisters, friends, partners in complete agony, wondering what they did wrong to drive them to commit suicide. They leave them in eternal mourning and worrying 'what if', 'what if i hadn't done that, what if i payed more attention to them'. It leaves people distraught for life, just because they couldn't handle the pressure, and wanted to abort.
Ok, when people are under immense pressure and are severley depressed then i can sympathise, but i hear so many stories of people commiting suicide without consulting and comforting others first. Are they too scared to confront their loved ones?

I am in no way against assisted suicide or suicide when it is done properly, with others in mind. I just wonder what others' views are on the matter of people commiting suicide out of the blue and leaving people lost and distressed.
Thanks for reading.
it's always right.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Leahcar)
No, I don't agree (sorry :p:) ... my granda had lung cancer (which was terminal) and he spent his last few days in hospital just lying on his bed unable to do anything cos he was so heavily sedated and drugged up. At that point, I knew he was suffering and wanted him to get better, obviously, but I wouldn't have wanted him to commit suicide. If there's any chance of living or getting better when you're ill then there's no question about it.

It's not your decision, it's the person who is suffering's decision. You should support them whatever their choice. Your grandad wanted to live, and that is brilliant and he sounds like a really good man, but you need to understand that not everyone feels the same way.

If what you're saying is true, then what's to stop a 16 year old girl who's just found out she has terminal cancer from killing herself? Should she not live the rest of her time as best she can? Well I see it exactly the same way for a 76 year old man. Before my granda got too ill, he lived his life. He made more of an effort to spend time with his family when he found out he was dying and he did things he'd always wanted to do. And of course that gave the whole family a lot of comfort, he wanted to live his life, not wait for it to end.

I never said people who are suffering should kill themselves, you're twisting my words, what I said was it should not be morally wrong for a person going through immense suffering who no longer wanted to live with it to commit suicide/assisted suicide. Some people do not feel the same way as your grandad did unfortunately, and want their suffering to end as quickly as possible when there are no other alternatives.

Not everyone has a family that loves them or things they still wish to achieve.

You're going on about how the person killing themselves is feeling, but ultimitely it has very little to do with them, they'll be dead. It's the family and friends who have to live on and pick up the pieces. And I'm sorry if nobody agrees with this, but it's just how I feel.

That's your opinion and I understand that a loss is terrible, but surely if a family member with a very upsetting illness who chose to die in pain rather than dignity to save your feelings is a bit selfish on your part? Death is a natural part of life, and although suicide is death before your time, it spares depression, suffering and family members will be relieved that their close relative has gone to a place where they are free and know that they no longer have to go through every day in pain and unable to leave their hospital bed?
Answered your points in italics.

In short, you shouldn't put your feelings before a suffering relative, if they want to live their lives that is up to them but if they wish to die when there is nothing else that can be done you should respect this. Not everyone has a loving family or things they want to achieve and not everyone has alternatives to death to spare their pain. No offence but it sounds a bit "me, me, me" in your posts rather than considering a terminally ill family member's best interests and decisions.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Thomas...)
I personally believe that one should only commit suicide when they have a long term terminal illness that is making their lives misery, when they know they will eventually end up a vegetable.
I think people who commit suicide, without warning or comforting loved ones, through depression or heartbreak are, to put it strongly, are selfish cowards.
They leave their parents, brothers, sisters, friends, partners in complete agony, wondering what they did wrong to drive them to commit suicide. They leave them in eternal mourning and worrying 'what if', 'what if I hadn't done that, what if I payed more attention to them'. It leaves people distraught for life, just because they couldn't handle the pressure, and wanted to abort.
Ok, when people are under immense pressure and are severley depressed then I can sympathise, but I hear so many stories of people commiting suicide without consulting and comforting others first. Are they too scared to confront their loved ones?

I am in no way against assisted suicide or suicide when it is done properly, with others in mind. I just wonder what others' views are on the matter of people commiting suicide out of the blue and leaving people lost and distressed.
Thanks for reading.
Ok then, satisfy my curiosity. Why are mental illnesses which can sometimes be uncurable, and life long, without much response to medication in a totally different class to these terminal illnesses? You said people who know the suicidee will be in agony wondering why, well it doesn't take a genius to realize why the medication-resistant schizophrenic who will probably spend their whole life in hospital getting injected forcibly commits suicide, I'd say it's pretty ****ing obvious why they did it. Yet that's not ok for them to kill themselves. They're meant to spend a ****ty life, tormented by hallucinations with little to no hope of a cure just because they happen to be mentally rather than physically disabled?

Nice to see how consistent your theory is. Or maybe it's just that you're one of those people who think mental illnesses are second class to physical ones.
hazelsaurus
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
when the pain of being alive constantly exceeds the desire to be alive, and when the only reason you're alive is for the will of other people.
yoop040
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Suicide is always wrong. Professional help must be seeked immediatly!
theseeker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hazelsaurus)
when the pain of being alive constantly exceeds the desire to be alive, and when the only reason you're alive is for the will of other people.
I don't know what you believe in, but suicide is always wrong. You can't justify it. You're not following the purpose of being alive.
SpicyStrawberry
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by yoop040)
Suicide is always wrong. Professional help must be seeked immediatly!
It's not always that simple. People in vegetative states, with incurable illnesses or severe mental illnesses where medication or therapy can do nothing for them can end up feeling like they do not wish to live anymore and there is nothing that can be done to improve their quality of life.

What needs to be asked is whether living through the suffering outweighs death, and it's a very difficult decision that should not be taken lightly.
theseeker
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by SpicyStrawberry)
It's not always that simple. People in vegetative states, with incurable illnesses or severe mental illnesses where medication or therapy can do nothing for them can end up feeling like they do not wish to live anymore and there is nothing that can be done to improve their quality of life.

What needs to be asked is whether living through the suffering outweighs death, and it's a very difficult decision that should not be taken lightly.
No questions need to be asked at all, because if you're taking your own life, then you're not following the purpose, you're breaking through it.
Theconomist
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by theseeker)
No questions need to be asked at all, because if you're taking your own life, then you're not following the purpose, you're breaking through it.
She took it all off tho.If you think about it its her choice.
theseeker
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Theconomist)
She took it all off tho.If you think about it its her choice.
Off course, it's her choice, but it's the wrong choice.
cvqw1278
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Ok then, satisfy my curiosity. Why are mental illnesses which can sometimes be uncurable, and life long, without much response to medication in a totally different class to these terminal illnesses? You said people who know the suicidee will be in agony wondering why, well it doesn't take a genius to realize why the medication-resistant schizophrenic who will probably spend their whole life in hospital getting injected forcibly commits suicide, I'd say it's pretty ****ing obvious why they did it. Yet that's not ok for them to kill themselves. They're meant to spend a ****ty life, tormented by hallucinations with little to no hope of a cure just because they happen to be mentally rather than physically disabled?

Nice to see how consistent your theory is. Or maybe it's just that you're one of those people who think mental illnesses are second class to physical ones.
Did you manage to read the whole of my thread? Apparently not.
If you would care to take a proper look I clearly say I am for suicide of the kind other than for terminal, if it is done correctly. By correctly I mean by reassuring their loved ones that they didn't do anything, not to worry, I'm happy now etc...

Please read before blindly posting your views. Thank you for being ever so considerate next time.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (179)
39.43%
No - but I will (25)
5.51%
No - I don't want to (32)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (218)
48.02%

Watched Threads