The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Literature [Pre Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Aah. GCSE LIT. It was amazing! Use the yorknotes for OM&M, but the ones for poetry aren't that good.
Good luck, remember structure is important as language.
Reply 41
Original post by TheFootyKing19
Hey there...

Post any queries, questions on the English Lit exam on the 24th!

I'm doing Of Mice and Men and Carol Ann Duffy;Simon Armitage;Pre 1914

Share any notes, key quotations, interpretations of the book and poems etc.

Feel free to post anything about the book and poems you'll be studying...

Good Luck

p.s These threads really help and deem to be a real success :rolleyes: (Share the knowledge) :smile:

Hey, doing the exact same as you.
I'm just wondering though, how do I structure the essay for 'Of Mice and Men'?
Reply 42
What do you have to cover in of mice and men? Im finding it difficult on what to make notes on except for quotations.
Original post by Hdizzle

Original post by Hdizzle
Yeah this website contains an analysis of all Simon Armitage's poems and Carol Ann Duffy's (she wrote about them herself for the website ^_^)

http://www.sheerpoetry.co.uk/gcse/carol-ann-duffy/gcse-anthology-poems/havisham

The website also contains stuff for Gillian Clarke the guy who does the poems on Potatoes O.o and Seamus Henry.

heyy :smile: thanks a lot! it really helps :awesome:
Reply 44
Original post by ju1c
What do you have to cover in of mice and men? Im finding it difficult on what to make notes on except for quotations.

1) make character profiles for each character
2) make sure you understand the various themes in the book
3) look at language and style all the characters appear to speak in colloquial language and characterization is done through the use of language i.e we learn about each character through the way talk and the things they say. E.g the novel does not say that Lennie is mentally disabled but we know he is through the way in which he behaves and talks.
4) look at the historical and social context behind the book. Read about what was happening during the time Steinbeck wrote the book that may have influenced the plot.
Reply 45
Original post by Hdizzle
1) make character profiles for each character
2) make sure you understand the various themes in the book
3) look at language and style all the characters appear to speak in colloquial language and characterization is done through the use of language i.e we learn about each character through the way talk and the things they say. E.g the novel does not say that Lennie is mentally disabled but we know he is through the way in which he behaves and talks.
4) look at the historical and social context behind the book. Read about what was happening during the time Steinbeck wrote the book that may have influenced the plot.

Any chance if you could e-mail me your notes for Of mice and men? That would literally save my life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by ju1c
Any chance if you could e-mail me your notes for Of mice and men? That would literally save my life.

Sorry I have no notes on the computer other than a word document made this time last year (god knows why) but it does have some good stuff on it such as practice questions with answers.

I'd advise you to buy a York Notes guide that has everything you need.

Anyhow how do i email? hotmail? or...?
Reply 47
Original post by Hdizzle
Sorry I have no notes on the computer other than a word document made this time last year (god knows why) but it does have some good stuff on it such as practice questions with answers.

I'd advise you to buy a York Notes guide that has everything you need.

Anyhow how do i email? hotmail? or...?

Yeah hotmail, that would be great - I Private messaged you my email btw :smile:
Reply 48
Original post by ju1c
Yeah hotmail, that would be great - I Private messaged you my email btw :smile:

Received that and sent the mail with the attachments
To everyone doing To Kill A Mockingbird:

How are you revising for it? :smile:
Reply 50
Original post by Ears
Is there anyone doing Heaney/Clarke?
I seem to be the only one :frown:

im doing that too! and pre 1914 ones that i hate. got any tips??
Reply 51
Original post by Miss Anonymous
heyy :smile: thanks a lot! it really helps :awesome:

This website will really help you with poems and TKAM.

http://www.swotrevision.com/pages/gcse/englishlang.html

Original post by ju1c
This website will really help you with poems and TKAM.

http://www.swotrevision.com/pages/gcse/englishlang.html

thank you :smile: I especially like the "essay plan" section :awesome:
Reply 53
Original post by Ears
:woo: Heaney/Clarke :smile:
I've just bought the CPG and I've been using anthology and online really, like you.

Which poems are you hoping will come up and which are you hoping to avoid then? :smile:

I don't really find the CGP guides that good...not enough detail! Haven't started Heaney/Clarke, currently doing English poems from diff. cultures :L
Reply 54
Also for anyone looking for notes on poems, this site is so good - http://www.teachit.co.uk/armoore/

Bitesize also has some really good notes on all English/English lit related stuff.
Reply 55
Original post by Part A
I don't really find the CGP guides that good...not enough detail! Haven't started Heaney/Clarke, currently doing English poems from diff. cultures :L

Hmm, I think it's quite good. Has some essays at the end which help too.
Oh, you're doing language too? Good luck, I got a bit of a dodgy question last year and a bad poem (This room) so hopefully you get a better one!

I use the teachit website too; very helpful :smile:
Reply 56
Any tips for Of Mice and Men, what to study, how to structure the essays, how to memorize quotes.
Reply 57
Original post by Hdizzle
Yeah this website contains an analysis of all Simon Armitage's poems and Carol Ann Duffy's (she wrote about them herself for the website ^_^)

http://www.sheerpoetry.co.uk/gcse/carol-ann-duffy/gcse-anthology-poems/havisham

The website also contains stuff for Gillian Clarke the guy who does the poems on Potatoes O.o and Seamus Henry.

Thanks for the website :smile: ahhh less than 2 weeks until the exam!! how is everyone doing ??
Reply 58
Original post by megank
Thanks for the website :smile: ahhh less than 2 weeks until the exam!! how is everyone doing ??

the count down really does not help :frown: i've split all the key poems into one day each and i'm learning EVERYTHING in detail on them. just done havisham yesterday, and Anne Hathaway today. that way i have enough time before the exam to practice exam style questions UNDER exam conditions :smile:

we got given a sort of structure in our class today if you'd like to see an example i'll mail you the document :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by Hdizzle
the count down really does not help :frown: i've split all the key poems into one day each and i'm learning EVERYTHING in detail on them. just done havisham yesterday, and Anne Hathaway today. that way i have enough time before the exam to practice exam style questions UNDER exam conditions :smile:

we got given a sort of structure in our class today if you'd like to see an example i'll mail you the document :smile:

ahhh yes please!! <- if you don't mind? :smile: im struggling to how to structure it. especially comparing 4 poems :/ !! thank you, i'll private message you my email :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending