£10,000 to invest. Who wants it? Watch

epc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
I'd throw my money in the oil game, Oh how I wish purchased a load of shares in BP when the oil spill happened, I'd be laughing right now.

Laughing or crying?
cttp_ngaf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by bjh30)
If this is a serious post, I have 2 ideas depending on your risk profile. One is almost 100% secure (nothing is ever 100%, but this is as safe as can be) and you can get a good return...but nothing fantastic (maybe 3.5-4% a year plus good growth potential - from 2012 you should see growth of at least 3% a year on your capital, plus interest/div. payments)
Doesn't that just about match inflation, though? I guess it's better than nothing but i hardly expands my wealth.

(Original post by bjh30)
The other, is more risky, but the upside is larger - basically invest it in £2.5k lumps across 4 different stocks - as I have done. However, the market is turbulent, and May-Sept isn't the best time to invest really. Recent events (slowdown in growth in US, earthquake Japan, Middle East, yesterdays news) are all painting a picture of huge volatility...
Hmm, yea I've dabbled in the stock market, and forex, before, and just got burnt. I only lost a small amount of money that I was playing with there, but I currently have no idea how to wisely gamble on them.
ShadowConspiracy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by epc)
Laughing or crying?
Laughing, When the oil spill finished after a while BP's shares rocketed back up again, When they announced their profit?
SFsucks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
Only joking, you filthy chavs aren't getting a penny of it. But perhaps you can advise me how best to "use" this money (invest it somehow, not just piss it away). I don't need to touch it (I hope), since I have about £2000 safety net in cash and current accounts and I also just about earn enough to cover my monthly outgoings.

It's currently just sitting there split between three useless low-interest accounts, and has been for the last 10-20 years, actually.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
If you can I would invest it in Tecos as shares or bonds if there selling any.
bjh30
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by cttp_ngaf)
Doesn't that just about match inflation, though? I guess it's better than nothing but i hardly expands my wealth.

Hmm, yea I've dabbled in the stock market, and forex, before, and just got burnt. I only lost a small amount of money that I was playing with there, but I currently have no idea how to wisely gamble on them.

No, not really - thats a minimum of 6.5-7% (you have to add interest/dividend yields and an expected asset value growth) - thats a very decent return these days. RPI, the higher of the inflation indices, is circa 4.4% atm. The return is likely to be more if you take a long term view - depends on house price growth - which will probably be weak for next 2 years and strong post that, as the economy picks up post 2012...

Regards your last post, you, in my opinion, will never make huge amounts playing forex markets unless you have big bucks...the movements are way too small. My brother made a six figure sum over a few months, but he was playing with seven figures. You will get burnt currently if you don't invest very well - it is going to happen - things are volatile and the (British/European economy's anyway) are, in reality, in a very bad way.

But you invest in good, solid company's. I have had double digit growth every year since 2006 - my only disaster was buying BP a few months before the explosion...it would have been a good buy, were it not for a completely unforeseeable event. They do happen tho, and there is no such thing as risk free. I have made some back when I bought some more at 320p, and they have recovered a lot of ground anyway. There are too many potential lawsuits, too many oilfield sales and too many problems re Russia for my liking tho. I am going to offload a few soon. It is a great company tho, and I will keep some interest in it.
Nana_A
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
''ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY MONEY MONEY''....lifes not about money,but the pursuit of happiness....
-well dats what my mum said anyway...transfer the money into my account for safe keepings,inbox for further details.
bjh30
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ShadowConspiracy)
Laughing, When the oil spill finished after a while BP's shares rocketed back up again, When they announced their profit?
I hadn't seen this before I wrote the below re BP. It is risky, like I said Ive made a fair wack from them coming back, but it was a fairly big gamble to buy in.

Its really not that easy...and the lawsuits will drag on for years, BP's name is damaged, and its selling businesses that have huge potential and it probably shouldn't sell.

It will also experience huge problems when it comes to the US in terms of licensing etc going forward.

They are however, doing exactly what I would be doing if I was CEO, in terms of focusing on India/Russia and trying to build their businesses there - that gives me confidence. Russia is however, a very risky business environment, and they are having big problems re the deal...They need to keep Putin etc on side, and being a British company, that is rather difficult (we have far more stringent codes of conduct etc than most countries we are competing against...) - In Russia, this is a problem as people expect payment for their 'assistance' in getting things done. Whether this is bribery is open to interpretation...
yamamotootsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Give To Charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/
MrsCrackFox
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You say 'piss it away' I say 'LIVE LIFE WITH IT'.
It's so sad that some people spend their whole lives scrimping, saving and storing that money, and when it comes to a near end. They think 'now what, I've wasted my whole life saving and now my life is over, I could have done many exhilarating things with that money- could have travelled the world!'
But no, I choice to use it as a number in my bank. And now I'm old and decrepit, what do I do with it?
cttp_ngaf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by MrsCrackFox)
You say 'piss it away' I say 'LIVE LIFE WITH IT'.
It's so sad that some people spend their whole lives scrimping, saving and storing that money, and when it comes to a near end. They think 'now what, I've wasted my whole life saving and now my life is over, I could have done many exhilarating things with that money- could have travelled the world!'
But no, I choice to use it as a number in my bank. And now I'm old and decrepit, what do I do with it?
I appreciate that view, but my aim to is to minimise the number of hours I have to spend stuck in a job to earn enough to live. I'm very lucky to have this sum of money and I do want to use it to benefit me. I don't have a taste for expensive and frivolous purchases anyway.

Everyone would choose some different point between the two extremes of blowing it all tonight on a huge party, and burying it in a box in their garden.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (249)
38.97%
No - but I will (44)
6.89%
No - I don't want to (47)
7.36%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (299)
46.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed