The EU plan to wipe England off the map by merging it with France...with its own FLAG Watch

Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lonelykatana)
TENSO!
Because sharing a flag with france would be the biggest of our problems?
It's not even a flag, it's just a logo for this particular initiative. It's no more a flag than the 2012 Olympics logo is.

I can't exaggerate how much of an exaggeration this is. This is excessive even for the Daily Mail. Somehow they've taken a few cross border initiatives, like already exist in many places, to mean a full political union.
Paul McCartney
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Daily Mail :facepalm2:
U.S Lecce
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ussumane)
Seriously, this paper is the equivalent of Fox News.
And they are both the equivalent to used toilet paper!
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by U.S Lecce)
And they are both the equivalent to used toilet paper!
Indeed man :sadnod:
PendulumBoB
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nightstar-27)
1) I'm pretty sure cambridge was the worlds top university in 2010

2)A lot of tourism with which come money.

3)No comment but people may be offended by that comment.

4) Our GDP is still pretty high last time I checked, even without any real growth recently.

5) Japan just had a very bad disaster of course its GDP is going to suffer. This has nothing to do with its sovereignty.

6) I think national pride is more about the things the country as a whole does rather than the individuals of that country. However this is a very opinion based argument

7) in what way is this a threat to us and in what way are they shielding us?
1. Times higher education world university rankings put bith Oxford and Cambridge behind Harvard, California Institute, Massachusetts insitute, Stanford and Princeton.

2. The tourism industry is a joke compared with other sectors

3. I'm pretty sure our countries financial future is worth more than keeping a buch of old fossils who know little of politics happy. Besides ww2 (If thats's what you are refering to) was not fought to maintain our independence it was fought to contain a nation which was threatening our place as the worlds top dog.

4. So's the interest on the nation's debts; what's your point?

5. These are long term forecasts which were in place even before the earthquake.

6. Fair enough, if it's just opinion.

7. The extra tariffs in place for non-eu imports.
Chillaxer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nightstar-27)
1) I'm pretty sure cambridge was the worlds top university in 2010

2)A lot of tourism with which come money.

3)No comment but people may be offended by that comment.

4) Our GDP is still pretty high last time I checked, even without any real growth recently.

5) Japan just had a very bad disaster of course its GDP is going to suffer. This has nothing to do with its sovereignty.

6) I think national pride is more about the things the country as a whole does rather than the individuals of that country. However this is a very opinion based argument

7) in what way is this a threat to us and in what way are they shielding us?
3)Rather arrogant to ignore the people who fought for the country's independence out of hand, to say the least.

4)The EU is obviously a mess, look at the EU currency ffs, and the way their economies are interacting.

5)Exactly-the guy is arguing a biased point. Australia and Norway are other examples of isolationist(relatively) countries just getting on with what they do and well. The idea that Britain has to be in the EU to be special or great is just bull****, it's come from left field and it's nonsense.
Rogercbinboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It'd be pretty cool merging with France. **** you all.

But seriously you actually read the Daily Mail? And you actually believe it?
mmmmmpie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
TBH, even as a eurosceptic, its only border iniatives happening all over the EU.

Im more interested in the Germans anger over the free labour market...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13256662
Officer Dibble
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chillaxer)
5)Exactly-the guy is arguing a biased point. Australia and Norway are other examples of isolationist(relatively) countries just getting on with what they do and well. The idea that Britain has to be in the EU to be special or great is just bull****, it's come from left field and it's nonsense.
This is a great point. So many pro-europeans use the argument that we need to be a part of a political union in order to continue to have influence in the world, changing as it is. Yet is it really influence if the UK is just a small part of a large supra-national union? Of course not.

The EU should revert back to being a free trade agreement (which it no longer is) and stop trying to drag the UK and other countries towards the social-democratic economic model used by its most influencial members.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh please. The trans-manche relationship was initiated at the behest of local government in Kent and Sussex and le Nord and le Pas-de-Calais, amongst others. There's nothing sinister going on here and every time the DM trots out the trans-manche region as some kind of new EU state I can't help but laugh. We want stronger cross-channel ties in Kent! In fact our local authorities were lobbying hard for more trains to and from Paris and Brussels to stop in Ashford and Ebbsfleet when the rail link was completed so that we'd see more business. I am closer to Calais than I am to London, let alone anywhere else in the country, and not just geographically speaking. It actually takes me less time to reach north France, or at least it would if we were allowed to use the tunnel for an express shuttle between Kent and North France, and that's now in the pipeline.

Maybe you should actually listen to what the people of these regions want? There are amazing economic benefits to be had by tying in Kent and Le Nord and I, and many others, welcome it.

Even if this was: a) something new, b) something sinister and c) something that would lead to a new administrative region being created, I would still welcome it. Border regions across the EU get this kind of treatment in trying to tie them into one another. Kent and Le Nord have more in common than Kent and, say, Glasgow - prosperous, rural, populous and with much closer economic links than anyone would like to admit.

You see us rollin' with the French, you be le hatin'.

Basically, :mfing:
Tamora
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
Oh please. The trans-manche relationship was initiated at the behest of local government in Kent and Sussex and le Nord and le Pas-de-Calais, amongst others. There's nothing sinister going on here and every time the DM trots out the trans-manche region as some kind of new EU state I can't help but laugh. We want stronger cross-channel ties in Kent! In fact our local authorities were lobbying hard for more trains to and from Paris and Brussels to stop in Ashford and Ebbsfleet when the rail link was completed so that we'd see more business. I am closer to Calais than I am to London, let alone anywhere else in the country, and not just geographically speaking. It actually takes me less time to reach north France, or at least it would if we were allowed to use the tunnel for an express shuttle between Kent and North France, and that's now in the pipeline.

Maybe you should actually listen to what the people of these regions want? There are amazing economic benefits to be had by tying in Kent and Le Nord and I, and many others, welcome it.

Even if this was: a) something new, b) something sinister and c) something that would lead to a new administrative region being created, I would still welcome it. Border regions across the EU get this kind of treatment in trying to tie them into one another. Kent and Le Nord have more in common than Kent and, say, Glasgow - prosperous, rural, populous and with much closer economic links than anyone would like to admit.

You see us rollin' with the French, you be le hatin'.

Basically, :mfing:
Maybe someone should actually tell the people of these regions what's happening, then ask them what they way, so that a few people don't decide for them? I'm from Sussex and I don't know anyone who has been asked. The Association of European Border Regions is quite clear. It says: Being a member of the association means "aspiring to common values, goals and strategies for cross-border cooperation and thereby playing an important part in the process of European unification."

How many people in Kent and Sussex know that when they are extolling the virtues of what is a political concept dressed up as economic co-operation? And where have we heard that before! Knowing that the majority want less politcial co-operation, not more, this is at the very least underhand.

Here's a list of these border regions. The Kent/Sussex - Nord-Pas de Calais/Picardie region appears on the list at No 65, and is designated a "cross border region in planning".

More trade and co-operation should be encouraged, but it's wrong to break down national borders to do it against the wishes of the electorate. And our own officials and politicians are on the inside; nothing new there.
Chillaxer
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe you should actually listen to what the people of these regions want? There are amazing economic benefits to be had by tying in Kent and Le Nord
:
For Kent, maybe, not for Britain. I think Ireland would be the resort for me if all this went through, specially if they left the EU. If not would have to be NZ, or Norway.
Aphotic Cosmos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chillaxer)
For Kent, maybe, not for Britain. I think Ireland would be the resort for me if all this went through, specially if they left the EU. If not would have to be NZ, or Norway.
Hah, good luck emigrating to Norway, let alone NZ.

Ireland will also not leave the EU, they are bound in to the union due to it's debt crisis and the EU would punish Ireland severely if they made moves to leave.
Nightstar-27
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by PendulumBoB)
1. Times higher education world university rankings put bith Oxford and Cambridge behind Harvard, California Institute, Massachusetts insitute, Stanford and Princeton.

2. The tourism industry is a joke compared with other sectors

3. I'm pretty sure our countries financial future is worth more than keeping a buch of old fossils who know little of politics happy. Besides ww2 (If thats's what you are refering to) was not fought to maintain our independence it was fought to contain a nation which was threatening our place as the worlds top dog.

4. So's the interest on the nation's debts; what's your point?

5. These are long term forecasts which were in place even before the earthquake.

6. Fair enough, if it's just opinion.

7. The extra tariffs in place for non-eu imports.
1) But then others will put Cambridge at the top and some university guides won't have any UK or USA universities in their top 50, it is all subjective.

2) Tourism is not a joke as you put it. Tourism makes the UK quite a bit of money, in some places in the UK the economy relies on Tourism quite a bit.

3) Again no comment. As for WW2 there are many theories and reasoning behind why it happened.

4) Our national debt has been 150% higher than it is today when our GDP was lower (can't remember how much by) and yet we're still here as a nation. Who knows, we might actually pull through our current economic situation in the future.

5) If you are talking about Japan's debt there are still other countries with higher debts than Japan (at least one I know for sure) who are not Island nations. Plus Japan is also different from the UK in terms of how it runs its economy and such.

6)

7) But if we were not part of the EU surely we would have tariffs on EU imports and exports ?(unless of course we had a similar deal with the EU that Switerland have).
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hah, good luck emigrating to Norway, let alone NZ.
I don't see why emigrating to Norway would be that difficult. It's not in the EU but they're still part of the EFTA so anyone from the EU can go and live there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (141)
38.42%
No - but I will (21)
5.72%
No - I don't want to (26)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (179)
48.77%

Watched Threads