I've made up my mind, Im going to learn with an automatic :D Watch

colin4president
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jackmyswag)
Good on you, if that's what you want to do. Some people just find driving harder than others, surely it's better to have comfortable automatic drivers on the road than some nervous wreck driving a manual? I'm hopeless at driving and wouldn't be surprised if one day soon I end up opting for learning automatic. I don't care what other people think, cause why does it matter? For me, a car is something to get from A to B, not to show everyone how amazing and skilled and ****ing boss I am.
thats nice.... but i think OP does want to show everyone how amazing and skilled and ****ing boss he is.
loz957
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Nuffles)
I'm also a photographer. Are you the kind of person that thinks you can take the same quality photo on a compact in automatic mode as you can on a professional SLR when you're in full control? With a compact automatic camera the camera makes the decisions for you. This will create an adequate image, but not a particularly good one, and it isn't either fulfilling or fun if you enjoy photography and know how to operate a camera. Being in full control of the camera (while over the heads of most of the population) allows you to take much better images because you're far better than the camera is at working light levels and focus point out, let alone things like depth of field, shutter speed, flash sync or lighting.

Cars are the same. If you don't care about driving then you can let the car do it for you. If you enjoy driving and can change gears well then it becomes second nature most of the time, and an actively pleasant experience when you get into it. If you see changing gears as too much effort then frankly, you're monumentally lazy. You also gain a lot of control from being in control of the gearbox, in the same way that it's much easier to make the camera do as you want when its in a manual mode.

Say you're coming off a roundabout in third gear, you accelerate to the revs where you'd normally change gear. The automatic would change gear, but you can see that there's another roundabout/junction ahead. In a manual you just take your foot off the throttle and you still get moderate engine braking, slowing you down quite a lot before you get to the junction. The auto would require using a lot more braking and would have to shift down again quite soon, also increasing wear on the gearbox components compared to not having changed gear. Minimal in this instance, but over a few thousand miles all that extra (and unnecessary)gear changing in the auto adds up to a lot of wear.

I think you're comparing 2 very different things. Photography is meant to be an enjoyable hobby and passion. Driving, to me, is a method of getting from A to B in refinement and comfort. I used to enjoy driving, and manual driving, before traffic congestion and awful drivers started to make driving stressful for me. I absolutely hate having to depress the clutch and change gear literally every 5-10 seconds when driving around my home town. The clutch is heavy, tiring and changing gear takes your left hand off the wheel for long periods of time.
SHIRT_LIFTER
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
. . . . I say good for you! If the technology exists, Then why not use it? It would be like saying to yourself, "No, I am not going to use the remote control, I am going to walk all the way over to the television in order to change the channel".

And Also, Just think, That you will be able to laugh at all of the idiots who take 30 hours of lessons and then still fail their driving test, Whilst you take five lessons and then pass on the first time.
jackmyswag
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by colin4president)
thats nice.... but i think OP does want to show everyone how amazing and skilled and ****ing boss he is.
lol, no.
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by loz957)
I think you're comparing 2 very different things. Photography is meant to be an enjoyable hobby and passion. Driving, to me, is a method of getting from A to B in refinement and comfort. I used to enjoy driving, and manual driving, before traffic congestion and awful drivers started to make driving stressful for me. I absolutely hate having to depress the clutch and change gear literally every 5-10 seconds when driving around my home town. The clutch is heavy, tiring and changing gear takes your left hand off the wheel for long periods of time.
What is it you drive exactly? I can pretty much guarantee the clutch in my old Land Rover was heavier and that was hydraulic. My current car has a mechanical clutch and is also pretty heavy. Neither are that big a deal. Yes driving around town does get a little wearing after a while but I just leave it in second and it negates having to change gear at all if you're in stop start. I have a 20 mile drive to work/into town and on the back roads manual is way more fun.

It may well be that you don't enjoy driving that much, but that doesn't mean that the sweeping statement: 'Manually changing gears is nothing more than an unnecessary chore' is in any way true. It just means you don't enjoy driving. For me (and most people who drive) there are far more benefits to a manual than there are to an automatic.
JohnC2211
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imabigboynow)
wtf is going on in my thread

Seriously, put the effort in to get your manual license, then buy an automatic.

Although I think you'll find an automatic car makes you it's *****.
BalanceCommaGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by imabigboynow)
the real ballas drive automatic cars because they enjoy the luxury of driving, changing gears every minute isnt an enjoyable experience. in the states 90% of cars are auto. and most young guys drive auto
In the states 90% of people are retards. Especially the young guys...
Sammydemon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ride a motorcycle instead.
imabigboynow
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
If i live in london, is there really a point of manual? sure its nice to feel the engine on your feet sometimes but surely when you drive for 1 year+ it wont be an enjoyable experience?. Why would you want to change gears yourself when it can do it for you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed