44.7%
No, what a dick! (73)
55.3%
floralia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It would be massively dickish to do it. If what you actually want is the content of the book, then do what people have already said and either scan or photocopy it - then you get the book forever, and so do others.
TheSownRose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by dijay_94)
Inform your library about the rarity of the book and give it back. There's more people in the world who love books!
Really not going to do that; if they know, they may stop loaning it.

To be honest, I'll probably end up scanning it and taking it back. Might cost a bit in overdue fines, there are a lot of pages and it's due back tomorrow, but worth it.
Nepene
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
I wouldn't just take it, I would pay the RRP. And I would never have known the wonderous contents of this book, so I imagine I would have been initially disappointed but got over it? :dontknow: Seeing as I forgot I was on the list until I got the letter that would change my life...
You should keep it, scan every page, and put it online as a pdf. Then everyone else can enjoy it for free.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by floralia)
It would be massively dickish to do it. If what you actually want is the content of the book, then do what people have already said and either scan or photocopy it - then you get the book forever, and so do others.
I just don't know how I'm going to live my life without it.
curtis871
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

To be honest, I'll probably end up scanning it and taking it back. Might cost a bit in overdue fines, there are a lot of pages and it's due back tomorrow, but worth it.
this seems like the best idea to me. It means others get to carry on enjoying it and you get to keep a copy of it yourself.

edit
some people might say keeping a copy for yourself is immoral but i guess that's for you to decide. you're clearly not sure about whether keeping the original is wrong else you wouldn't ask but i don't know how you feel about copying it
floralia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But you will have it - the important bit anyway. Do you actually want the book for its content or just the novelty of having a rare book?
hamijack
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
**** da police!
Reflexive
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
"Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness" - Martin Luther King
dijay_94
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Nah! Ever heard of the Reference section? They'll keep it in a nice place and keep it on the system just that people won't actually be able to take it out. They'll only be able to read it, photocopy, make notes etc. whilst onsite. Seriously you should tell them, we get this all the time at our library. They'll make sure the book it kept in a place where more than a few more generations will be able to appreciate and enjoy the book.
-honeybee-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
No. You're stopping other people from being able to experience that copy of the book and may inconvenience others in the time it takes the library to get hold of another copy (you said there was a 2 year long waiting list). The library is a public service, it is for everyone to make use of not take advantage of. Tbh I would think of it as stealing and it's not something I would ever consider doing. Aside from the moral implications surely the book will have the library stamp and barcode/card holder in, so wouldn't be a nice copy anyway? And if the amount of people on the waiting list is anything to go by, it won't be in a very good condition. Unless of course the people who've had it before you have respect for things that don't belong to them.
takethyfacehence
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Would be a really shi tty thing to do to keep it. You waited for it longingly for it, many many others are obviously doing the same with that long a waiting list. Give the others a chance, fair and square.
Angela_Beth
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I understand the temptation, believe me, but it's so harsh on all the others on the reading list who will never get to read it at all. It's basically a bit of a **** move.

You might be able to find it elsewhere - have you tried looking for it on the internet? There are a hell of a lot of second-hand/antique book websites. Or there's always ebay.

Edit: Also I'm really curious about what book it is now.
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Angela_Beth)
I understand the temptation, believe me, but it's so harsh on all the others on the reading list who will never get to read it at all. It's basically a bit of a **** move.

You might be able to find it elsewhere - have you tried looking for it on the internet? There are a hell of a lot of second-hand/antique book websites. Or there's always ebay.
It's £700-odd vs £6.
Stormwhite
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't just take it, I would pay the RRP. And I would never have known the wonderous contents of this book, so I imagine I would have been initially disappointed but got over it? :dontknow: Seeing as I forgot I was on the list until I got the letter that would change my life...
That doesn't change that it defeats the point of a library - a repository of knowledge accessible to all. When people leave rare books to libraries and the like, they do it so that lots of people can read them, not so that someone they don't even know can obtain it using a dodgy method.

And the argument you're using there is somewhat fallacious - is it less immoral to steal a cheesecake from someone who's never had cheesecake before, or from someone who has?
Bardem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is the cheapest I could find it for:

http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?bkfno=52462&ad_id=813

If you're totally obsessed about the book, and want to avoid stealing a public resource, you could save yourself the hassle by buying it. £75 is a bargain compared to the other prices I've seen.
Novis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are probably loads others on the waiting list so don't keep it because that would be dickish
TheSownRose
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bardem)
This is the cheapest I could find it for:

http://www.nhbs.com/title.php?bkfno=52462&ad_id=813

If you're totally obsessed about the book, and want to avoid stealing a public resource, you could save yourself the hassle by buying it. £75 is a bargain compared to the other prices I've seen.
Do they actually have it in stock!?

I'm feeling all giddy now! :woo: Thank you!
-honeybee-
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is ridiculous. You really need to get over it and realise that if you want something you should pay for it. And before you say it, not the RRP but the market value.
username537845
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I currently have a book from my local county library that I really like. It's rare, it's the only copy at the library, it's taken me two years on the waiting list to get it and it's out of print now - I can't buy it anywhere for less than a ridiculous sum of money.

If you lose a book, the county library service charge you the RRP that's printed on the book. The RRP on this book if £5.99. I'm considering saying that I've lost it, paying the £6 and getting to keep this amazing, rare book. Should I or not?
It might seem appealing, but consider how much you wanted to read it and had to wait for it. Now imagine somebody else had done what you possibly plan to, and think about what that would have felt like knowing you'd never get to read it without paying an extortionate amount.
Bardem
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Do they actually have it in stock!?

I'm feeling all giddy now! :woo: Thank you!
Yep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads