Am I being snobby? Watch

hobnob
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hazular)
Well, literally all my offers were BBB, so I didn't really have any choice in the matter. :rolleyes:
But you had a choice when you decided which universities you were going to apply to, no?:confused:
Anyway, it's your decision and I wasn't saying you shouldn't do it, just pointing out that it's a little misleading to claim that there's nothing wrong with doing this, because obviously it means you're not giving yourself much of a safety net.
Hazular
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by hobnob)
But you had a choice when you decided which universities you were going to apply to, no?:confused:
Anyway, it's your decision and I wasn't saying you shouldn't do it, just pointing out that it's a little misleading to claim that there's nothing wrong with doing this, because obviously it means you're not giving yourself much of a safety net.
I did have a choice, and in the prospectuses, requirements were something like this:
UCL- AAA-AAB
Newcastle AAB-ABB
Nottingham- ABB - BBB
UEA- ABB - BBB
Huddersfield- BBB - BBC
Not my fault they all came back the same.

As for the safety net thing, I know it's usually a long shot but some unis will still take you if you miss one grade and ring to explain the situation. Heard a load of success stories about it from friends with older siblings at uni. Obviously it'll be less likely this year with the massive influx of people applying to beat the fees, but it's still worth a shot, especially if your offers are all the same
:dontknow:
hobnob
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hazular)
I did have a choice, and in the prospectuses, requirements were something like this:
UCL- AAA-AAB
Newcastle AAB-ABB
Nottingham- ABB - BBB
UEA- ABB - BBB
Huddersfield- BBB - BBC
Not my fault they all came back the same.

As for the safety net thing, I know it's usually a long shot but some unis will still take you if you miss one grade and ring to explain the situation. Heard a load of success stories about it from friends with older siblings at uni. Obviously it'll be less likely this year with the massive influx of people applying to beat the fees, but it's still worth a shot, especially if your offers are all the same
:dontknow:
Fair enough.:dontknow: Although I'd say that yours is a bit of a special situation: if all of your offers were the same even though you were expecting them to vary more, there's really nothing else you could have done except choose two identical offers. But it's still not a wise thing to do, generally speaking, even though it can turn out alright for some people.
gandhistoto
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qwerty7)
Another reason is that I was talking to my ex about uni a while ago. He's gone to a really good uni (Bath or Bristol I think) to study Medicine and basically he just laughed in my face when I said Sociology and SHU. It really hurt my feelings, especially since he said I won't ever get futher in my life than him (which is probably true, since he's going to be a doctor).
Woah, your boyfriend sounds like an *******. I hope he's joking, if not it kinda sucks to have a very arrogant person as a boyfriend
jthlm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i was advised to pick my favourite uni as my firm and my second favourite as my insurance, regardless of the grades. i know it doesn't necessarily make sense in terms of grades but i think it's a lot better than having your insurance as a uni that you REALLY don't want to go to. if durham is your second favourite, put that as your insurance after warwick, and just work really hard to get your grades! you could always go into clearing if it goes wrong, so it's not like all hope is lost.. somewhere like hallam is probably more likely to be in clearing than durham so you could end up going there anyway but at least tried your best with warwick and durham, if you get what i mean. but you never know, it may never come to that good luck.
qwerty7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by gandhistoto)
Woah, your boyfriend sounds like an *******. I hope he's joking, if not it kinda sucks to have a very arrogant person as a boyfriend
Yeah, it sucks! Especially because I supported him all the way through his exams (never argued with him, held my tongue, never got to see each other) and he went and dumped me slap bang in the middle of exams! I still managed to come out with good enough grades though!

He really wasn't joking :/
charlotte-rose
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TheSownRose)
Out of interest, what uni was that?
Surrey
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (558)
37.78%
No - but I will (115)
7.79%
No - I don't want to (103)
6.97%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (701)
47.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise