All black suit with white tie OR black suit, white shirt an black tie? For Prom! Watch

rmanoj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chr0n)
If the proms in the UK are like the ones here, he will fit in perfectly in a standard suit. I agree with you, that he should wear a dinner jacket or a smoking, but then not everyone has the money for a smoking. It may even be, that he doesn't even have a suit yet. So investing in a smoking - or a dinner jacket at that - would probably too much.
I'm guessing you're French. For some reason, "smoking" is French for "dinner jacket".

But in English, a smoking jacket is something slightly different. It's the sort of thing you might wear at a loosely semi-formal dinner party or a Christmas 'do', along with velvet slippers and maybe a cravat, but only if you were the host. Here's an example: http://www.pakeman.co.uk/product/776...Smoking_Jacket
Chr0n
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rmanoj)
I'm guessing you're French. For some reason, "smoking" is French for "dinner jacket". But in English, a smoking jacket is something slightly different.
Ah, yes, completely forgot about that. Actually I'm german. A smoking in german is a tuxedo in english.

Thanks for mentioning it!
Blueflare
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The third one looks the best.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd have thought a 'prom' would specify black tie (i.e. a black bow tie). Even if it isn't, is this an option for you?
MedGenFTW
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wear a bow tie, and black suit. It's most formal. If you want to be flashy, wear the white tie. If you want to look like you have to be at a business meeting or wedding in 8 hours, go grey.
Chr0n
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I'd have thought a 'prom' would specify black tie (i.e. a black bow tie). Even if it isn't, is this an option for you?
Actually it does (at least in Austria), but as most people don't own a tux, they will just go with a suit. You see the most horrendous things at proms :rolleyes:
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by unicornsoncrack)
DEFFO 3

or a man in a tweed suit always.....just...omfg

Not for a prom though :facepalm2:
Beska
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
OP (and the majority of people in this thread) really need to look up what "black tie" actually means.

A black lounge suit with a black tie isn't black tie attire, for heavens sake.
bindy
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello number 3
username202682
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
White tie or nothing tbh.
honoris
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They just look like formal business attire, especially number three.
ScholarsInk
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by - Major -)
I suggest the black suit,( Black shirt with white collar and white cufflink wrist bands*), white skinny tie, and white belt. Booom combo !

*Shirt (not that tie though) -
Disgusting. I lament how far England has fallen.

OP, three is the only decent choice among those.

(Original post by Beska)
OP (and the majority of people in this thread) really need to look up what "black tie" actually means.

A black lounge suit with a black tie isn't black tie attire, for heavens sake.
I'm well aware. Hardy Amies recommends that, if one does not own a dinner jacket or has limited space for packing, he should wear a navy suit (preferably double-breasted) with a black bowtie.

This is NOT black tie, but it is relatively incongruous as lounge suits go in such a situation.
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stricof)
White tie or nothing tbh.
Not sure if serious. Wearing white tie to a black tie event will make you look like a douche.

It's like wearing a lounge suit to go out to some underground dubstep club.
username202682
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Beska)
Not sure if serious. Wearing white tie to a black tie event will make you look like a douche.

It's like wearing a lounge suit to go out to some underground dubstep club.
Of course it's serious! :hmmm:

Spoiler:
Show
I'm not really :mmm:
Beska
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stricof)
Of course it's serious! :hmmm:
White tie events are so much cooler than black tie events, anyway.
username664870
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Mess.)
Not for a prom though :facepalm2:
It's a prom not the royal wedding, wear what you want!

My mate wore a grey tweed suit for prom-looked the best one there. Everyone else was pretty much a fire hazard from the amount of polyester.......
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Chr0n)
Actually it does (at least in Austria), but as most people don't own a tux, they will just go with a suit. You see the most horrendous things at proms :rolleyes:
I mean, a bow tie and normal suit is still better than a simple jacket and tie though for such an event, no? The proper black tie jacket is not massively different from a normal blazer anyway.
Destroyviruses
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
2 is boring and the last one looks like uniform, sick of grey. Number 1 !!!!!!!!!!!

With one you can also have a different colour tie like orange or yellow or blue
Chr0n
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I mean, a bow tie and normal suit is still better than a simple jacket and tie though for such an event, no? The proper black tie jacket is not massively different from a normal blazer anyway.
Yes, as stated above, if you don't own a tux, you should just wear plain navy suit and a tie (personally I don't like a bow tie with a suit).

A black suit IMO doesn't make much sense. You will only be able to wear it to prom (shouldn't there -> tux) or to funerals. Blue however, is much more versatile.
Steph90
Badges: 9
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Three. Too much black either makes you look like an SS officer or a burglar. Black shirts go well with jeans, but not with dark suits, in my experience.
You must live in the posh part of town if even the burglars walk around in three piece suits.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (443)
37.83%
No - but I will (88)
7.51%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (560)
47.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed