Why do you read fiction? Watch

Hylean
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because I enjoy it and it gives me pleasure.
Raterbee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xEndeavors)
Exactly this.
*I Second the motion* (:
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BalanceCommaGirl)
I think that was a bad example, not to offend the person who put it forward, but if you read something actually written in a period it can help you learn about it because you're engaged with it. A slightly staid example might be shakespeare but I understand Victorian society better by reading Dickens than by watching 'From Hell'. (First film set in that period that I thought of...)

Reading a 500 word novel would be decidedly easier than watching a film, in terms of time spent :P
Sorry 500 page novel. that was silly of me.:facepalm:

I've already mentioned the alternative ways in which i can better understand the past without recourse to novels. if you think that reading Dickens has helped you understand Victorian society better that's fine by me; i simply stated why i could have a developed understanding of something without the need to read works of fiction such as novels.
Novis
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN)
i dislike fiction because when i read a book i expect to be enlightened; i want to learn facts, ideas, theories that explain the world around me and how i can live within it. works of fiction cannot offer me that.
Your name sounds like you're into anime, which is a great way of escaping into fantasy is it not?
BalanceCommaGirl
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry 500 page novel. that was silly of me.:facepalm:

I've already mentioned the alternative ways in which i can better understand the past without recourse to novels. if you think that reading Dickens has helped you understand Victorian society better that's fine by me; i simply stated why i could have a developed understanding of something without the need to read works of fiction such as novels.
I completely understand your point and I'm not trying to change your opinion, everyone learns in different ways right? I just wanted to develop the point made earlier because I didn't quite agree with the example.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Novis)
Your name sounds like you're into anime, which is a great way of escaping into fantasy is it not?
yes, yes. someone already pointed that out to me. the fact that i have Jiraiya as my name is actually quite ironic because Jiraiya was a character who was a novelist.
Kayak
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because within moments you can be picked up and transported anywhere in the world, or possibly not even in this world, and it's as close as you'll get to really being there. Watching and hearing a story on television is no where near as good to reading one, where you can understand the emotions behind everything, and build the characters in your head. And that's another thing- everyone interprets the story just a little differently, since it's all in your head, the same character read by two different people could be dramatically different depending on how you perceive them to be.

And to escape, and enjoy- I can be sat at home, bored on a rainy afternoon, and pick up a book and be in the Lake District in summertime, sailing, camping and waging war on pirates (Love Arthur Ransome!) or I could choose Fantasy instead, and have a world of Dragons and Castles, and know all the intricate details which just can't be fully appreciated on a screen.

Fiction is great! (Although it's also not a good idea to pick up a book in the middle of revision, as I know from past mistakes!)
-honeybee-
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This springs to mind...

'The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours'.
hockeyjoe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As a break from reading philosophy,maths or science/revision
emerset
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
i dislike fiction because when i read a book i expect to be enlightened; i want to learn facts, ideas, theories that explain the world around me and how i can live within it. works of fiction cannot offer me that.
The art, and the philosophies.
Jiraiya: non-fiction is historical; but fiction contains most philosophical enlightenment. Fiction is pure, it has the potential to be the epitome of an idea - an idea unobstructed. You must be a philistine. :puke:
Kareir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't be ridiculous. Literature perfectly explains the world, expresses ideas, and fiction (well, you know, good fiction) is basically the creation of a scenario that allows the reader to experience a hypothetical situation, and consider how THEY should react in said event. In fact, pretty much everything you just said can be done by fiction.

So, in conclusion my good sir, you are wrong.

_Kar.
NaturalDisaster
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My sister always asks me this. She hatin'. :lol: I'm a natural daydreamer. Reality isn't good enough for me so I read fiction. It's interesting. That being said, I'm a book whore, I'll read anything really. Including cereal packets.
mermania
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I used to read a lot of fiction when I was young but over time became bored of it. I had a job a while ago where I had 30 minutes to kill before and after work due to the bus timetable, as well as the 30 minute bus journey each way, so I attempted to fill these 2 hours of each day by getting into reading again but I just couldn't do it. Even if I liked the book I always got fed up pretty quickly and in the end I found sitting around staring into space made the time pass quicker than reading.

I think I dislike reading because it takes too long and I'm incredibly impatient. When I'm reading all I ever get from it is an uncontrollable desire to know how it ends. I never enjoy the journey at all. I spend the entire time ploughing through books as quickly as possible just to get to the end and find out what happens - and not in a good way.
Pi!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because it's fun.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Kareir)
Don't be ridiculous. Literature perfectly explains the world, expresses ideas, and fiction (well, you know, good fiction) is basically the creation of a scenario that allows the reader to experience a hypothetical situation, and consider how THEY should react in said event. In fact, pretty much everything you just said can be done by fiction.

So, in conclusion my good sir, you are wrong.

_Kar.
if fictional literature 'perfectly' explained the world it wouldn't be called fiction. the reason why i prefer non-fiction is because it directly addresses the subject matter at hand and engages it in an intellectually reasoned way that favours logos over pathos. Secondly, if i wanted to experience a hypothetical scenario concerning anything of importance i would read philosophical thought experiment constructed by the relevant philosopher. if you read my subsequent statements you'd understand why i have no interest in novels.

so, in conclusion my good sir, you are mistaken.
JIRAIYA-ERO-SENNIN
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emerset)
Jiraiya: non-fiction is historical; but fiction contains most philosophical enlightenment. Fiction is pure, it has the potential to be the epitome of an idea - an idea unobstructed. You must be a philistine. :puke:
just read some of my latter statements; then you'll understand where i'm coming from, I'm kinda getting tired of repeating the same stuff to snobs who think that somehow they have a greater existential understanding because they've read a few novels.
popdrops
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's a way to de-stress myself.
SamHey789
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To explore alternate possibilities.
SteveCrain
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by emerset)
As a rule, anything that could be said in a 200-500 page work of fiction could be summarized in 5 succinct pages of text.

Further, I disagree that fiction is pure; rather it is extremely impure, being the view of the world through the eyes of characters devised by a single person with (usually) limited experience.
Kareir
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
if fictional literature 'perfectly' explained the world it wouldn't be called fiction. the reason why i prefer non-fiction is because it directly addresses the subject matter at hand and engages it in an intellectually reasoned way that favours logos over pathos. Secondly, if i wanted to experience a hypothetical scenario concerning anything of importance i would read philosophical thought experiment constructed by the relevant philosopher. if you read my subsequent statements you'd understand why i have no interest in novels.

so, in conclusion my good sir, you are mistaken.
So that's fact, is it? It's fiction. It's just fiction with a purpose. Obviously books like twilight shouldn't even be considered books, but fiction is certainly not as redundant as you make out.

_Kar.

PS: Have you read a factual book on quantum mechanics? Because I've read MUCH more convincing fiction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (446)
37.93%
No - but I will (88)
7.48%
No - I don't want to (80)
6.8%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (562)
47.79%

Watched Threads