All Stereotypes are bad, even positive ones? Watch

Jenny_C
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rajandkwameali)
waffle is reading celeb magazines and presuming what they say is gospel.

If I choose to think stereotypes are silly and that only people who are mentally limited believe in them, then what of it? Who is to say I cannot?
Celeb magazines? The articles I posted were in APA approved psychology journals and written by qualified psychologists.

Still waiting on that source.
Rzc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MathematicsKiller)
LOL You have a big nose!
I didn't even read the thread but this made me laugh?!
rajandkwameali
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jenny_C)
Celeb magazines? The articles I posted were in APA approved psychology journals and written by qualified psychologists.

Still waiting on that source.
Celeb magazines and other pieces of filth are why people in today's society endorse stereotypes.
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Celeb magazines and other pieces of filth are why people in today's society endorse stereotypes.
Yeah... but that's not really what I'm talking about, is it?

Let's get you back on track.

ME: Stereotypes are used as mental shortcuts to help us organise information more efficiently. Prejudice is when people wrongly act on these stereotypes, and can lead to terrible things like hate crimes, racism, sexism, etc.

YOU: Stereotyping is wrong. My brain doesn't work like that. By studying the brain psychologists are condoning laziness.

Oh, and I'm still waiting for your source.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
stereotyping is mentally abnormal, and only purported by pop culture sources. who are you to say why I cannot deem it as so?
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
stereotyping is mentally abnormal, and only purported by pop culture sources. who are you to say why I cannot deem it as so?
Because it's not a matter of opinion. It's like saying gravity doesn't exist because you don't believe in it. Furthermore, all you've done is talk about your opinions and things that aren't even remotely relevant, like culture and celebrity magazines. I'm talking about cognitive mechanisms here! That's the same across culture.

Like I said, show me some evidence and I'll stop bothering you.
sollythewise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sammynorton90)
Is any kind of stereotype, even a positive one, bad? I feel it is. For example, I saw a thread the other day about Jews being smarter than most people. I'm Jewish myself, but I can assure you I am far from intelligent, and that it is just a stereotype. But some other people were posting on it saying 'Yaay, I'm Jewish, so must be smart' I find it ridiculous. They're fine when the stereotypes are positive, but if it was a negative stereotype they'd get really angry. It's like people who are patriotic about being British and almost take credit for the great things people in British history did, even though it was an achievement they had nothing to do with, then when someone says, what about the bad stuff Britain did in the past, they'll say 'well I'm not personally responsible for that'. Why don't people act as individuals rather than thinking because they belong to a race or religion they possess certain qualities?
basically you're arguments say that people should either take the good with the bad, or reject both. you make no case against stereotypes, you are just anti-hypocrisy. on this, i can agree.
rajandkwameali
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jenny_C)
Because it's not a matter of opinion. It's like saying gravity doesn't exist because you don't believe in it. Furthermore, all you've done is talk about your opinions and things that aren't even remotely relevant, like culture and celebrity magazines. I'm talking about cognitive mechanisms here! That's the same across culture.

Like I said, show me some evidence and I'll stop bothering you.
psychology is a tool to promote the subjective worldviews of psychologists. most things that psychologists recommend or say are good things do not translate to the reality of how people actually live or relate to others.
Jenny_C
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
psychology is a tool to promote the subjective worldviews of psychologists. most things that psychologists recommend or say are good things do not translate to the reality of how people actually live or relate to others.
What are you basing this on? Nothing you say means anything if you don't back it up.

SOURCE please.
Rascacielos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sammynorton90)
Is any kind of stereotype, even a positive one, bad? I feel it is. For example, I saw a thread the other day about Jews being smarter than most people. I'm Jewish myself, but I can assure you I am far from intelligent, and that it is just a stereotype. But some other people were posting on it saying 'Yaay, I'm Jewish, so must be smart' I find it ridiculous. They're fine when the stereotypes are positive, but if it was a negative stereotype they'd get really angry. It's like people who are patriotic about being British and almost take credit for the great things people in British history did, even though it was an achievement they had nothing to do with, then when someone says, what about the bad stuff Britain did in the past, they'll say 'well I'm not personally responsible for that'. Why don't people act as individuals rather than thinking because they belong to a race or religion they possess certain qualities?
They're almost certainly always wrong; whether wrong = 'bad' is subjective.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (535)
37.81%
No - but I will (111)
7.84%
No - I don't want to (96)
6.78%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (673)
47.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise