The Student Room Group

Is Osama's death going to make Obama popular?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sharpshooter
Okay so say another 1000 US are dead in Afghanistan between now and election time? Will he make about the war on terror, I doubt it.

Really want a bet on it I love earning free money, politicians always use what is affecting people the hardest to their advantage just like anyone else in business. Just think back at nick clegg :angry: he got a large selection of votes because he connected to the young voters by taking on the fees. (btw the war is on terrorism so the soldiers still count either way I win).

Original post by manchild007
He'll be the first President in US history to have a $1 Billion+ war chest to fight the election with; fund-raising (or rather out raising the Republicans) has never been an issue for Obama, and Republicans would be lucky to secure 1/2 if not barely 3/4 of that sum.

No it has never been an issue just like the amount of doubles there are in the world, seriously even sadam hussain had doubles loads of them. It will give him a great starting point on his campain. "Taking down the face of terrorism" as they call osama bin laden on bbc news, how much notification that brings you is the question. You have to remember a lot of americans are extremely patriotic so care about their soldiers and religion which will aid in his election.
Original post by Hazular
Opinion polls count for balls, have you seen all the ones on TSR? Not the best example, I know, but opinion polls aren't the views of the whole population. I based the question from a conversation I had with some American friends discussing his reforms (mainly the health reforms). And many people were unhappy with his antics, because I'm too tired to think of a better word right now.

You're talking utter nonsense frankly - how else can you gauge public opinion if not looking at polls at the moment (for all their worth)? Randomly guessing? :rolleyes:

As for health-care, if you knew anything about US politics, you would know far more people are getting upset over Paul Ryan's (i.e. the defacto Republican deficit proposal) cuts to medicaid and medicare services, than with Obama's enacted proposals, which people have broadly come to accept as its now law (though I course, you the term broadly loosely). The only thing which will eventually awaken this whole issue of Obamacare is when it is taken up by the courts, but its likely the measures will be seen as constitutional and thus shall still be allowed to be enacted.

The deficit is the issue, not healthcare alone, at the moment.
Original post by Smilingsam
No it has never been an issue just like the amount of doubles there are in the world, seriously even sadam hussain had doubles loads of them. It will give him a great starting point on his campain. "Taking down the face of terrorism" as they call osama bin laden on bbc news, how much notification that brings you is the question. You have to remember a lot of americans are extremely patriotic so care about their soldiers and religion which will aid in his election.

I think you've misunderstood my post - by war chest, I mean the amount of money Obama has been able to raise, which he'll then use to promote his campaign and get reelected etc.

Obama shall be the first president in history to have over $1 Billion to spend on his campaign - its got nothing to do with actual wars (i.e. Iraq/Afghanistan etc) or anything mate.
I think you've misunderstood my post - by war chest, I mean the amount of money Obama has been able to raise, which he'll then use to promote his campaign and get reelected etc.

Obama shall be the first president in history to have over $1 Billion to spend on his campaign - its got nothing to do with actual wars (i.e. Iraq/Afghanistan etc) or anything mate.

I understand the information on wars was related more to the other quote, no sleep hence mixed up typing. Sorry if I have confused you stress is getting at me.
Reply 44
Obama is considering it historical victory for Americans. Obama will be more popular.
Original post by JhonMoney
Obama is considering it historical victory for Americans. Obama will be more popular.

For how long?

Bush's approval ratings were 49% before Saddam was captured. Then went up to 63%, then went back down to 49% less than two months later.
Pretty much every opinion poll showed Obama trouncing his Republican counterparts,

Except Romney. Of course, Romney may not get the nomination because the Christianists dissaprove of his religion.
Original post by juanmodesto
Except Romney. Of course, Romney may not get the nomination because the Christianists dissaprove of his religion.

Obama still pans out ahead of Romney in polls.

I've said many a times on this forum before, I seriously hope Romney gets the Republican nomination - he is honestly the only Republican I would seriously consider evaluating against Obama (in that he would be the only Republican I could possibly vote for in this current field), as the rest of the GOP field is full of near crackpots and odd-jobs. However, I think issues like RomneyCare are going to do get in the way of a GOP nomination to be perfectly honest...
Reply 48
Bet Osama regrets coming out of hiding to see the royal wedding
Reply 49
His approval will definitely sky rocket. But I doubt it will be a permanent rise.
His death will lead to something bad I fear. He was just a mere puppet. We haven't found the Master who plays the strings yet..
Plus Obama has sealed his re-election in stone.
But not all people believe it's right to kill a person, and just because he's dead doesn't mean the group would stop it just makes them appear weakened, this may spur them to complete torrorist acts to prove themselves.
Original post by slavetosociety
Plus Obama has sealed his re-election in stone.

No its not. The economy is not in great shape and that was what he was elected primarily to fix. This is no different to Bush's fans claiming a second term just because he captured bloody Saddam.
Original post by Hazular
I've been hearing chitchat that he was unlikely to be elected for a second term because some Americans don't agree with his reforms. Do we reckon that this killing of the elusive al-Qaeda leader will make him more popular with the American public?
Opinions?

NB: I nearly cried during his speech. What a beautiful man :colondollar:

It might temporarily, but when Al Qaeda find a new leader and make their terrorist attacks even more destuctive, I doubt he's going to be everyone's favourite president.
Reply 55
I was thinking this when I was told. A few weeks ago, you'd have been an idiot to think he'd get reelected. The man wasn't hitting any promises, a good proportion of the population hate his healthcare bill and the economy, despite the initial recovery has slowed.

Now, though? I'd put my money on him.
Before hand, my gut instinct was that Obama would loose 2012. Now my instinct is that he will win 2012. My respect for Obama has also hugely increased.
Original post by Samwest1992
Before hand, my gut instinct was that Obama would loose 2012. Now my instinct is that he will win 2012. My respect for Obama has also hugely increased.

Why just because of this? Not think you're getting carried away a bit?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/And-Thats-how-the-USA-outdoes-a-Royal-Wedding/183567638361529 :colonhash: Not that I was a fan of the Royal Wedding anyway, but yeah.

I don't know if this alone will do it - but it shows he was quietly dedicated to getting things done, since this was carefully planned for around two years, and was a hugely important thing to do. Of course he's still going to face criticism for it, but the fact remains is that he achieved something the Bush and even Clinton administration didn't manage.
Original post by Sharpshooter
Why just because of this? Not think you're getting carried away a bit?

Well is is clearly his biggest achievement so far. While the majority of Americans were alienated by Obamacare, the majority of Americans will now have huge respect for Obama. America was desperate to catch Bin Laden for nearly 10 years, and now they have. Justice has been made for the disaster of 9/11.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending