Osama Bin laden's death will incite more terrorism, so what are we celebrating about? Watch

Stratos
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by solusoracle)
I like a good conspiracy theory as much as the next person.

But whilst temperatures did not get high enough to melt steel, it was certainly hot enough to weaken the steel.
Technically it shouldn't even start weakening until 1100C.

(Original post by Aj12)
Yawn. Really? Steel weakens at around 1200 degrees. Fire inside the building? 1500 roughly. Its been proven these tempruters cause steel to drastically weaken. It looses something like 3/4s of its holding strength
Maximum temperature from fuel burning in air is 1000C so how could it even reach 1500C?

And I also found this which might prove useful; http://911research.wtc7.net/mirrors/...tc/how-hot.htm
Shroob
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
To the people saying it will just be a catalyst for more terrorist attacks I say this: The fear of reprisals should not put off the pursuit of justice.
Chi019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by slavetosociety)
My view:
Osama Bin laden's death will only incite more terrorism, so what are we celebrating about?
He was just a mere puppet I believe. We still haven't found the Master who controls the strings
1. I agree it will probably incite more terrorism.

2. I don't think he was a puppet. I don't think there is one controlling individual, but cells of activity.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Stratos)
Technically it shouldn't even start weakening until 1100C.

Maximum temperature from fuel burning in air is 1000C so how could it even reach 1500C?
Spoiler:
Show
The additional problem was distortion of the steel in the fire. The temperature of the fire was not uniform everywhere, and the temperature on the outside of the box columns was clearly lower than on the side facing the fire. The temperature along the 18 m long joists was certainly not uniform. Given the thermal expansion of steel, a 150°C temperature difference from one location to another will produce yield-level residual stresses. This produced distortions in the slender structural steel, which resulted in buckling failures. Thus, the failure of the steel was due to two factors: loss of strength due to the temperature of the fire, and loss of structural integrity due to distortion of the steel from the non-uniform temperatures in the fire.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom/0112/eagar/eagar-0112.html
M1F2R3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by No Future)
Because America came again to save the mother****ing day, yeah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS-FoXbjVI

:rolleyes:
**** YEAH :zomg:
IPlayThePiccolo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's kind of mind blowing to think... I barely remember 9/11 happening in the first place O_o
imperial maniac
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't you get it?

What were we supposed to do? not kill him? have one man have the world at his mercy because his death may incite more terror.

No, you murder 3000+ people for your imaginary friend, you get a bullet in the head.
Casshern1456
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I fear he may have planned this and used his death to reignite more hatred to the Western civilization we have not heard anything from Al-Qaeda for 5-8 years now he has remain silent and we've endured largely peace in that time, now comes news of the death of Osama Bin Laden is just going to kick up a giant **** storm on us all. Yes this guy is a mass murderer and has now faced justice but the thousands of followers will not rest, there will be many willing to step into his shoes- I fear the repercussions from his demise.
The US says they followed Islamic protocols on dealing with Osama's body(which may have been buried at sea according to a few sources) this will just be messy why not give the body back to the Islamic people for a proper burial he's dead and has between 12-26 children(Wiki) lay their minds to rest.
milkytea
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Because bin Laden was an extremely effective leader and co-ordinator of terrorism, although in the short term there may be a greater risk of reprisal attacks in the long term, the fact that al Qaeda have lost an innovative and important asset to their organisation will reduce the risk to civilians.
Stratos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Spoiler:
Show
The additional problem was distortion of the steel in the fire. The temperature of the fire was not uniform everywhere, and the temperature on the outside of the box columns was clearly lower than on the side facing the fire. The temperature along the 18 m long joists was certainly not uniform. Given the thermal expansion of steel, a 150°C temperature difference from one location to another will produce yield-level residual stresses. This produced distortions in the slender structural steel, which resulted in buckling failures. Thus, the failure of the steel was due to two factors: loss of strength due to the temperature of the fire, and loss of structural integrity due to distortion of the steel from the non-uniform temperatures in the fire.

http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/jom/0112/eagar/eagar-0112.html
Fair enough I didn't take into account the force of the air plane crash and the different type of steel used(assuming it was 2/4% carbon steel).
ihaveyourcat
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Celebrating is fine but people shouldn't become complacent. No doubt there will be more terrorist attacks and hatred. Also I don't believe for a second that Bin Laden was the mastermind behind everything, he was just the front man.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Fair enough I didn't take into account the force of the air plane crash and the different type of steel used(assuming it was 2/4% carbon steel).
To be fair I did't actually realize that was why it collapsed was actually looking for something else when I found that.

Ah the joys of not having a degree in engineering
TheCount.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We are now celebrating the death of Osama Bin Laden. The man stained with the blood of 3000 lives. Justice has finally been served people may say.
Do you think Osama's death will only incite more hatred and generally increase the risk of more terrorism instead of decrease it?

My view:
Osama Bin laden's death will only incite more terrorism, so what are we celebrating about?
He was just a mere puppet I believe. We still haven't found the Master who controls the strings
And even if he was the Puppet Master, there are plenty more deranged extremists out there, more than willing to fill his sandals. People are talking about this revelation as if the war is over. This isn't a Bram Stoker novel where you kill the master and all his followers perish.
U.S Lecce
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It wont end terrorism, will it intice it, who knows, maybe initially. But to be honest with all of these terror threats there is always a consistent amount of probability of attacks. At the end of the day the US not going after osama is what al-qaeda wanted. If we didn't go after him because al-qaeda were threatening us then they essentially would be controlling us, instead of us controlling them. So in that case it was 100% the right thing to do to kill osama!
Van Grall
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by play_fetch)
I can't help but feel a bit happy that someone who organised the deaths of 1000s of people is dead.. but yeah this is going to kick up a big **** storm.. now what is going to happen? With no leader the Al Queda will just get out of control and do a lot of stupid things...

WHY did they just shoot him? What were they even doing in Pakistan? Surely it would have been much better to catch the ****er.. now he'll just be a martyr. And they've already burried him at sea? It doesn't make a lot of sense.

And now I'm worrying about the London Olympics.. 1000s from all over the world, would be an attack against the West for sure..
He will be seen as a martyr by some, so they dumped him in the sea to prevent his grave from becoming a shrine/ place of reverence for terrorists and any muslims who follow him.

And woooooop, he's finally gone.
Mad Vlad
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We are now celebrating the death of Osama Bin Laden. The man stained with the blood of 3000 lives. Justice has finally been served people may say.
Do you think Osama's death will only incite more hatred and generally increase the risk of more terrorism instead of decrease it?

My view:
I've moved this to the D&CA > International subforum.
Dekota-XS
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
He is not dead. Where's the body? Why's the operation been such a cover up?
simstar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
One plane hit it at around 300 metres, this doesn't mean the whole building should have collapsed, as a matter of fact it didn't until the fire started to 'melt' the steel support at 800C.

But guess what, steel melts at 1500C.
But guess what you just got owned above.
Stratos
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by simstar)
But guess what you just got owned above.
Yes he disproved me that's true but that doesn't give you the right to act childish.

It's funny when idiots take credit for something they didn't do.
Andrii
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I agree that he was most probably just a puppet. But I'm not sure it will incite more terrorism...people seem to forget that overall he's probably killed more arabs & muslims than he has westerners. He only fled to Afghanistan once he failed to gain any real support in the arab world, and then the vendetta against the west began. I don't think there's two clear cut sides here, he's done wrong by many people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (553)
37.82%
No - but I will (115)
7.87%
No - I don't want to (103)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (691)
47.26%

Watched Threads