Okay Student Room, Need your help here... Watch

Raterbee
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Perky perks)
my friend has only just turned 17.... well a couple of months ago.... but still she's going to oxford as for mother issues.... maybe go on the website and show her some pics and what extra stuff you can do etc.... if that fails beg!! I <3 scotland
Thankyou for posting
Raterbee
Rep:
?
it means i love Scotland silly!! and cause they were talking about Scotland earlier!! and the point was about going to uni early!! we don't exactly know what is upsetting her/his mother about uni so really it was a general point!!
Thanks for the pro-Scotland comment! : )
Perky perks
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Raterbee)
Thanks for the pro-Scotland comment! : )

Thankyou for posting

This thread has not been started by you, perhaps you should take your views elswhere? I appreciate your advice, but I do not appreciate your attitude towards other posters.

Sorry, but this is an unhelpful contribution. I don't mean to offend, but picking everyone else's posts apart when they are just trying to contribute is not appreciated. I do understand that the post was, not entirely relevant, but let's play nicely children?
I'm thinking all of this proves you are definately mature enough to cope with uni life and sensible enough
Monzele
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi everyone just wondering... Im currently doing my AS-levels and want to do all my A2 in January I dont want to wait till summer to complete all my exams. But I was wondering if law schools take students in january as well like nursing they have january intake etc, and would it possible to apply in september 2011 to start in january 2012
Raterbee
Rep:
?
I'm thinking all of this proves you are definately mature enough to cope with uni life and sensible enough
Aww, thankyou
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 7 years ago
Granted, but is going to stirling necessarily the right path if she intends to practise in England? And if she doesn't agree with this fact - why bother making the thread in the first place?
Raterbee
Rep:
?
(Original post by im so academic)
Granted, but is going to stirling necessarily the right path if she intends to practise in England? And if she doesn't agree with this fact - why bother making the thread in the first place?
You have succeeded in offending both myself and various other posters. Please do not post again. Thankyou for your previous contributions but your advice is no longer needed or wanted as I have made my own decision with the blessing of my family. My intentions are my own, and to be quite honest your replies with reguards to my decisions in the past few posts you have made have been frankly offensive.
I "bothered" to create this thread to see other people's opinions on whether sixteen is an acceptable age to go to University, not their opinions on my chosen University or my motivation for choosing that particular University, that was why I did not mention my chosen place of education in my origonal post.

Thankyou again for your contribution on a whole.
Good luck in your future studies or career.
TheFatController
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Personally I've never understood the doctrine of fast-tracking very intelligent people through the educational system. If we had an entirely different approach to education in this country then it might work - but as it happens, we have a system which is based entirely upon school years. Education is about more than just academic box-ticking - it's also about personal and pastoral development. In the grand scheme of things, what benefit is gained from getting someone through school and uni a couple of years earlier when their personal development may suffer as a result? I often wonder whether it is simply because institutions seek the prestige associated with having a 'young genius' on their books.

It seems that the Scottish system is different to the English one and therefore my ability to comment will be extremely limited - if there are other fast-tracked kids who have gone to uni early, then there may be enough to make the experience enjoyable for you; I guess it all depends upon the number of other young students there are there. How far it is from home also comes into it of course. At the end of the day it is primarily your choice and regardless of your decision the fact that you have been offered this opportunity is an incredible vote of confidence in your abilities!
Raterbee
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheFatController)
Personally I've never understood the doctrine of fast-tracking very intelligent people through the educational system. If we had an entirely different approach to education in this country then it might work - but as it happens, we have a system which is based entirely upon school years. Education is about more than just academic box-ticking - it's also about personal and pastoral development. In the grand scheme of things, what benefit is gained from getting someone through school and uni a couple of years earlier when their personal development may suffer as a result? I often wonder whether it is simply because institutions seek the prestige associated with having a 'young genius' on their books.

It seems that the Scottish system is different to the English one and therefore my ability to comment will be extremely limited - if there are other fast-tracked kids who have gone to uni early, then there may be enough to make the experience enjoyable for you; I guess it all depends upon the number of other young students there are there. How far it is from home also comes into it of course. At the end of the day it is primarily your choice and regardless of your decision the fact that you have been offered this opportunity is an incredible vote of confidence in your abilities!
Thankyou for your comment, I appreciate your advice
TurboCretin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There are certain implications of a 16 year-old being thrown into social situations with 18 year-olds. Would it not bother you that you wouldn't be able to drink or go to clubs in your first year? Law isn't an easy degree. After first year you will need to spend more time working and less time partying, and so will your law friends in all likelihood.

My advice would be to be wary of robbing yourself of the full first-year-of-uni experience.
Raterbee
Rep:
?
(Original post by TurboCretin)
There are certain implications of a 16 year-old being thrown into social situations with 18 year-olds. Would it not bother you that you wouldn't be able to drink or go to clubs in your first year? Law isn't an easy degree. After first year you will need to spend more time working and less time partying, and so will your law friends in all likelihood.

My advice would be to be wary of robbing yourself of the full first-year-of-uni experience.
Thanks for posting,
yeah, it was a though for me about the drinking part, but to be honest I dont like alcohol, and wouldnt mind going out without drinking. Luckily the on campus night clubs and bar, and also the student union let you in underage, as long as you dont directly buy alcohol.
Thanks again (:
Raterbee
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Totally forgot about this thread until I was clearing out past TSR emails
Rejected my offer and reapplied this year, got into Glasgow but have once more chosen Stirling as if you're going to study somewhere for four years, it would be best to go where you will be happy.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (83)
39.34%
No - but I will (9)
4.27%
No - I don't want to (14)
6.64%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (105)
49.76%

Watched Threads