Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rahul.10)
That made me bellylaugh

Oh and you spelt "spelled" wrong....It's spelt "spelt"
actually both are correct.
(Original post by Cheesecakefactory)
My arse is Britain the 'least racist' country in the world.
Care to supply us with the names and details of less racist ones?
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Steevee)
I gathered, hence my question.

And there are plenty of people around, who have a decent enough grasp of Islam, and choose to reject and criticise it, who are then called ignorant by some Muslims. My question reall was, are you of the school of thought that states, 'If you criticise Islam, then you don't understand it/are ignorant'.
No school of thought says that But the thing is if you dont like someone else's belief then stay away from them.... to criticise would be wrong because its like an attack on the way we choose to live our lives, therefore you attacking us...
Steevee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
No school of thought says that But the thing is if you dont like someone else's belief then stay away from them.... to criticise would be wrong because its like an attack on the way we choose to live our lives, therefore you attacking us...
Maybe no school of thought, but plenty of Muslims I've met

Hmm, I disagree, well sort of anyway. When the way you live your lives influences my life, or society, or negativley impacts other people, then I believe it is our business to intervene, whether that is mere criticsm or actual action.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Maybe no school of thought, but plenty of Muslims I've met

Hmm, I disagree, well sort of anyway. When the way you live your lives influences my life, or society, or negativley impacts other people, then I believe it is our business to intervene, whether that is mere criticsm or actual action.
Well maybe they have good reasons, like the guys who beat up an innocent girl ¬¬

How does my way of life influence yours exactley?????????????
Islam has nothing to do with your life or anyone elses who isn't muslim
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well maybe they have good reasons, like the guys who beat up an innocent girl ¬¬

How does my way of life influence yours exactley?????????????
Islam has nothing to do with your life or anyone elses who isn't muslim
Umm, what has that to do with my point?

And believe it or not, the way you live your life does influence other people. but I'm not saying specifically you, just some Muslims. When you take Islamic countries and their versions of Shariah, the attempted application of Shariah in the UK, Mosques with their calls to prayer, the Niqaab and so on. A great many issues arise that need proper discourse, before you even look at the impact of the dogma. Religion is something that needs to be criticsed, considering what it is.
Jackthevillain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How is this racist?
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Umm, what has that to do with my point?

And believe it or not, the way you live your life does influence other people. but I'm not saying specifically you, just some Muslims. When you take Islamic countries and their versions of Shariah, the attempted application of Shariah in the UK, Mosques with their calls to prayer, the Niqaab and so on. A great many issues arise that need proper discourse, before you even look at the impact of the dogma. Religion is something that needs to be criticsed, considering what it is.
The reason they are being called ignorant is because they hav had experience with people like tht.

Just to clarify, sharia law is for muslim nations and muslims alone, therefore dont effect others outside the muslim bubble.
Whats wrong with mosques and there calls to prayer, they dont put it on loud speaker for the entire town to hear.... they do it in mosque on speakers so that everyone in the mosque can hear it, its part of what a mosque is to remind the muslims who have come to pray that its time to pray..
I dont see how the niqaab effects others, its womens own personal choice to wear despite the extreme view of it... if a muslim women feels that her being covered up protects from the eyes of men its her choice...
I dont think religion needs to be criticised at all, only parts that need to be criticised are people who are manipulating religion and causing problems for other groups of people... I think people should only care about people and not their religion because its not the religion faults, but peoples misuse of it ....... otherwise religion stays out the way of others
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The reason they are being called ignorant is because they hav had experience with people like tht.

Just to clarify, sharia law is for muslim nations and muslims alone, therefore dont effect others outside the muslim bubble.
Whats wrong with mosques and there calls to prayer, they dont put it on loud speaker for the entire town to hear.... they do it in mosque on speakers so that everyone in the mosque can hear it, its part of what a mosque is to remind the muslims who have come to pray that its time to pray..
I dont see how the niqaab effects others, its womens own personal choice to wear despite the extreme view of it... if a muslim women feels that her being covered up protects from the eyes of men its her choice...
I dont think religion needs to be criticised at all, only parts that need to be criticised are people who are manipulating religion and causing problems for other groups of people... I think people should only care about people and not their religion because its not the religion faults, but peoples misuse of it ....... otherwise religion stays out the way of others
Oh, so as long as you only deal with your own people, we should not do anything? We should just leave places like Libya, Congo and so on to muddle along, because they're not in out bubble? Forgive me, but I feel it my duty as a human to speak up when women are stoned to death for meeting a man without a chaperone.

And not all Mosques broadcast the call only internally.

The Niqaab effects us because it is in your face. It doesn't fit in with our cultural values or customs and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It is not something some people find acceptable, whether it be for it's connotations, security risks or for the intimidation it exues.

And I disagree again. Religion does not stay out of my way. It is everywhere, it is all pervasive. And a system which instills dogma, preaches intolerence and seeks to dominate people's way of life is something that should, in my view, be critiscised at every turn, where ever it may rear it's head.
Chimaira
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 94_confessions)
Inb4Islamisnotarace.
True dat.
_DaNnY_
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by sanaindaclub)
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I know some people are against islam but is attacking women really needed? I myself am a british muslim but dont really look it (clothes are the norm, no headscarf) and commute to college with various freinds. Two happen to be a more practising muslims. One commutes on the bakerloo and the other central/ district. One of them wears the whole religious dress . The other wears a headscarf (hijaab) and the long black gown (jilbaab) BOTH get attacked frequently. Its not so bad when someone is with them but otherwise both get harassed up. One was on the bakerloo and got accused of having a bomb in her pocket. She's 4'11 and was 15 at the time. What did the people do? Most ignored the guy that was accusing her but two men started punching/ hitting her. It went of for about a minute or so (until the next stop). No one stopped them and by the time the train pulled up to the next station she had a broken nose, arm and various bruises/cuts. Her collarbone was also fractured. What was she pulling out her pocket? A tissue. This isnt a rare occurence. She used to get shoved and pushed on the roads everyday. Same goes for the other girl, however shes never been attacked physically. About an hour ago though she got attacked by a group of men celebrating osama's death. She's now in ITU at the local hospital. She almost died.

It just pisses me off! Especially as both girls and very timid and havent a aggressive bone in their body!
**** like that really makes me sad/pisses me off.

Wish I could come with her on her commute... nobody would **** with her if I was sitting next to her...
c0nfus3d
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Stamp out racism, that's absolutely disgusting.
itsmyname
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Grow up, the vast majority of people that are racist to Muslims in this country exist because of the likes of the Taliban, Al Qeada and Shariah4UK.
This is the most bull**** post I have ever read on TSR, and i've seen a lot of bull**** posts.

Are you telling me no Taliban, Al-Qaeda = No racism against Muslims?

No, thought so. Because majority of racist thugs are uneducated, ignorant manipulative fools who go on to grafitti BNP along with the Swastika all over Barking and Dagenham, yes that's right, the swastika.

It's ***** like that who need to be surgically castrated, they let the whole of mankind down.

OP;
I'm sorry for what's happened to your friends. Hope they catch the ***** that did this, and I wish your friends a speedy recovery. Unfortunately, tis the world we live in now. There was a lady in my area who was wearing the full traditional gear and she had acid thrown onto her face :mad:
itsmyname
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Niqaab effects us because it is in your face. It doesn't fit in with our cultural values or customs and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It is not something some people find acceptable, whether it be for it's connotations, security risks or for the intimidation it exues.
Cool. Let's ban fat chicks in hot pants in the summer. Cos you know, its right in your face, and just doesn't fit in with out cultural values, and they stick out like sore thumbs. I certainly don't find it acceptable.
Lets ban built men wearing tank tops, cos you know, I find them highly intimidating. Infact big black men in tank tops, they're highly intimidating.
Lets ban hoody's, cos you know, for obvious security reasons. While we're at it, lets ban gloves too, cos criminals can hide their fingerprints

:rolleyes:

Nobody is free until everybody is free
flying nipples
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this probably isnt relevant but i hate muslims
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by itsmyname)
Cool. Let's ban fat chicks in hot pants in the summer. Cos you know, its right in your face, and just doesn't fit in with out cultural values, and they stick out like sore thumbs. I certainly don't find it acceptable.
Lets ban built men wearing tank tops, cos you know, I find them highly intimidating. Infact big black men in tank tops, they're highly intimidating.
Lets ban hoody's, cos you know, for obvious security reasons. While we're at it, lets ban gloves too, cos criminals can hide their fingerprints

:rolleyes:

Nobody is free until everybody is free
But we're not free. I can't walk into a bank wearing a balclava, so why should anyone else be allowed to cover their face? I think you'll find wearing hot pants and the like is far more acceptable in our culture. We are accepting of damn near any type of dress, except those that coceal your identity. In our culture, concealing your identity as you go about your everyday business is not somethign you do, it is either rudeness, or indication of some nefarious activity.

And also nice see you had some comeback on my other points. It would be sad if you only focussed on issue because you cannot argue against the others
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Oh, so as long as you only deal with your own people, we should not do anything? We should just leave places like Libya, Congo and so on to muddle along, because they're not in out bubble? Forgive me, but I feel it my duty as a human to speak up when women are stoned to death for meeting a man without a chaperone.

And not all Mosques broadcast the call only internally.

And I disagree again. Religion does not stay out of my way. It is everywhere, it is all pervasive. And a system which instills dogma, preaches intolerence and seeks to dominate people's way of life is something that should, in my view, be critiscised at every turn, where ever it may rear it's head.
My own people :confused:, dealing with places like libya is a completely different story, and congo is a mixed country with equal population of muslims and christians just to clarify. Plus the fact is that the British supported these regimes whether they like it not, after there world empire they left everything in a wreck... Another fact is stoning is not a punishment for a man meeting a women... you seem to be one of these idiots as quite clearly you cant differentiate between a countries culture and faith because what they do is not part of faith...

They all broadcast internally, they are not allowed to broadcast outside of there property... as it would go against noise levels, etc

How does the niqaab stick in your face ???, these women want to cover themselves up, its their choice, what should they be going around showing themselves to every guy... because thats not what the niqaab is about, because guys look at girls who are revealing they wudnt look there way...

I dont see why it should be criticised when its someones faith and they follow it as they wish, i dont see why you or anyone else have the right to dictate the way they want to live there life..... if you dont like them, then stay away from them
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
My own people :confused:, dealing with places like libya is a completely different story, and congo is a mixed country with equal population of muslims and christians just to clarify. Plus the fact is that the British supported these regimes whether they like it not, after there world empire they left everything in a wreck... Another fact is stoning is not a punishment for a man meeting a women... you seem to be one of these idiots as quite clearly you cant differentiate between a countries culture and faith because what they do is not part of faith...

They all broadcast internally, they are not allowed to broadcast outside of there property... as it would go against noise levels, etc

How does the niqaab stick in your face ???, these women want to cover themselves up, its their choice, what should they be going around showing themselves to every guy... because thats not what the niqaab is about, because guys look at girls who are revealing they wudnt look there way...

I dont see why it should be criticised when its someones faith and they follow it as they wish, i dont see why you or anyone else have the right to dictate the way they want to live there life..... if you dont like them, then stay away from them
It's funny isn't it, how everything is the fault of the British Empire. Despite the fact we gaver everyone back their sovreignty at least 60 years ago. I understand there is some sort of legacy, but really, isn't 60 years enough to stop killing each other without blaming it on us? If things are so bad since we left, can that not then be blamed on those that wanted us to go? We complied with their wishes, they wanted us gone and we left. And the fact that they are in a state is our fault? If we were still there they would be far better off.

And I always love this argument. An Islamic regime that practices Shariah and it's all culture? :rolleyes: I understand it's maybe not all by the book, but I'm sorry my dear, that isn't all cultural, they draw their inspiration from the Qu'ran, Hadith and Mohammed, to deny that is to be an idiot.

The Niqaab is a full face covering, something not deemed socially acceptable in the West. Just as in Dubai it's not acceptable to wear a bikini around. we all know if you Muslims had your way there would be no tolerance for our way of life, so why should we go out of our way to accomodate yours? And besides, if we're talking culture then the Niqaab is certainley a cultural garment and is not required by Islam. It was worn long before your Prophet for protection. All that is required by your Holy book is to cover the hair and dress modestly, not to cover the face.

Stay away from them? How about you stay away from me? It's my right, thanks to free speech, which Islam doesn't believe in, to criticise your religion. It is my right, thanks to democracy, which Islam doesn't believe in, to excersise political power and to push for legislation I want. It is my duty as a reasonable human being to question and criticise archaic dogma that spreads hate, misinformation and repression.
itsmyname
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
But we're not free. I can't walk into a bank wearing a balclava, so why should anyone else be allowed to cover their face? I think you'll find wearing hot pants and the like is far more acceptable in our culture. We are accepting of damn near any type of dress, except those that coceal your identity. In our culture, concealing your identity as you go about your everyday business is not somethign you do, it is either rudeness, or indication of some nefarious activity.

And also nice see you had some comeback on my other points. It would be sad if you only focussed on issue because you cannot argue against the others
Balaclava has stigma attached to it, therefore you can't walk into a bank wearing one. Nobody sees a woman wearing a the whole ninja gear and screams 'we're being fu**ing robbed', as it hasn't got that stigma attached to it, yet. The same can be said for hoodies, it's acceptable, can conceal ur identity but also has a social stigma attached to it. You can ban hoodies if you want to ban the nikab.

And also nice to see you had some kind of comeback to my earlier post. The fact that you think that racism against muslims in this country is a result of islamist terrorists just shows what kind of a person you are, and the processes behind your reasoning.

30 odd years ago it was all about Irish bashing, now its Islam bashing, I wonder what it'll be next
Steevee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by itsmyname)
Balaclava has stigma attached to it, therefore you can't walk into a bank wearing one. Nobody sees a woman wearing a the whole ninja gear and screams 'we're being fu**ing robbed', as it hasn't got that stigma attached to it, yet. The same can be said for hoodies, it's acceptable, can conceal ur identity but also has a social stigma attached to it. You can ban hoodies if you want to ban the nikab.

And also nice to see you had some kind of comeback to my earlier post. The fact that you think that racism against muslims in this country is a result of islamist terrorists just shows what kind of a person you are, and the processes behind your reasoning.

30 odd years ago it was all about Irish bashing, now its Islam bashing, I wonder what it'll be next
Nice spelling of Niqab there

The Niqab does have stigma attatched to it though. The whole opression of women throughout Islamic history and in Islamic states ringing any bells? And if clothes can be banned based on stigma, then why can they not be banned for the sake of decency, security and to respect the wishes of the populace? Surely those reasons are just as good as stigma.

I said in part. And it's true. You look back 15 years, noone had much of an opinion on Islam. Then you had the Madrid bombings, 9/11, 7/7 and so on and suddenly some people's focus was on Islam. And because of those events there was hatred for Islam where before there was naught but apathy. I'm sorry but you'd have to be a fool to think terrorism doesn't breed hate.

And please, at least try and make a real point. 90% of 'Islam bashing' is legitimate criticsm you just don't want to hear. You're not discriminated against, hell the government takes your side in most matters so why don;t you shut your whiney little mouth? We haven't even banned the f*cking Niqab so I don;t know where you get off trying to say you;re discriminated against.
Clip
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The simple, undeniable truth is that in general, Britain is probably the most tolerant and moderate country on earth. A serious racist incident in Britain is getting called a p*ki or maybe getting beaten up.

Serious racist incidents in other countries are things like a train full of Sikhs getting machine-gunned, a gang rape at a wedding or a village being murdered and looted.

Institutional racism here is a perjorative that politically-motivated groups use to demonise the police. Many states still have laws that prohibit non-indigenous peoples from starting businesses or owning property. Look at Malaysia, one of the "progressive" Islamic countries - racial quotas for university, subsidies for indigenous students, and you can't start a business without a Malay partner. And you thought Britain was institutionally racist?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (163)
39%
No - but I will (22)
5.26%
No - I don't want to (31)
7.42%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (202)
48.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed