The Student Room Group

Most intelligent, creative and well written TV shows

Scroll to see replies

Being Human beats True blood any day :cool:
The Bill. Classic! Used to watch it growing up with my family so I felt a bit sad when I heard it was being axed :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
QI?
Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet.
Reply 43
Madmen
The Wire
Sopranos
Family Guy
I would have to say house, walking dead and prison break would have to be the best imo.
Big Bang Theory
Reply 47
Original post by tface
Game of Thrones I am watching the first episode right now :tongue:.

Whereabouts is it?!
Reply 48
Original post by Auchtermuchty
Being Human beats True blood any day :cool:

GTFO :tongue:

Original post by Arekkusu
Whereabouts is it?!

thepiratebay.org :wink:

If you watch it online I will come to your home and destroy your screen :tongue: HD is the only way to watch it :coma: Seen the 2nd episode too now, must read more :biggrin:

PM me if you need help with torrenting :smile:
Mad Men
I think the first 3 series of How I met your mother were incredibly intelligent and well written. Not my favourite program though, because the last few series have been boring and just going through the motions

Breaking Bad and Peep show are fantastic, both better than HIMYM
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 51
Whereabouts is it?!

BTW if you have Sky Atlantic or Sky Atlantic HD Game of Thrones is on there, but you will have missed episodes :smile:
Reply 52
Original post by tface
BTW if you have Sky Atlantic or Sky Atlantic HD Game of Thrones is on there, but you will have missed episodes :smile:

Hmm seems I have Sky Atlantic on my Sky Player, thanks for that one, I've been looking on Sky One. Cba to torrent it episode by episode lol
Reply 53
Hmm seems I have Sky Atlantic on my Sky Player, thanks for that one, I've been looking on Sky One. Cba to torrent it episode by episode lol

Fair enough but if you haven't read the books I would definitely recommend catching up on torrent :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by lukejoshjedi
In your opinion - what show do you have in mind for having outstanding dialogue either in a comedic/comic sense, it's generally really funny, creative, referential and intelligent in its' writing and jokes (for Sitcoms for example) or in just the way that it's written in a dramatic sense

As a drama you think it's got realistic dialogue, making believable and real characters with great rapport / banter, as well as making for great dramatic scenes / drama in general

For me

Lost (Totally had the believable characters, high tension, super dramatic moments, as well as humour and references to pop culture, generally a well written show with realistic dialogue to boot and helps to suspend disbelief seeing the genre the show is in)

Life Unexpected

Arrested Development (I'd say it's one of if not the best written sitcom ever)

True Blood

How I met your Mother (same as arrested Development imo, the continual creativity in the show stands out)

Community

Also want to add 30 Rock to the list ofc! really well written and creative

I'd like to add The Good Wife and Breaking Bad
Lost, believable, really? :confused:
Reply 55
Original post by tface
Fair enough but if you haven't read the books I would definitely recommend catching up on torrent :smile:

yessir, im on it :colone:
Reply 56
The Wire - This isnt really a tv series, its 5 twenty hour long movies. It draws you in and is in incredibly addictive, clever and very realistic.

Community - Started watching it last week. I've never laughed so much. Funniest and most creative show on.

Greek - Was a pleasant suprise, watched the pilot with no real hopes but the character progression was awesome and was genuinely sad to see it end in march.

Prison Break - I watch everything I can find related to prisons, they fascinate me, the first series was incredible and quite clever.

The Walking Dead - This show is a mother****er. 6 ****ing episodes!? I cant wait for the rest of the season and its killing me waiting.

Torchwood - I loved this, mainly for John Barrowman but it was one of the only tv shows I actually watched on the tele as opposed to torrenting/streaming.

Oz - Just awesome.
Reply 57
Community
Happy Endings (so far it's been solid and fresh)
Cougar Town
The League
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Spaced (even though it's not on tv anymore)
Parks and Recreation
Gilmore Girls (not on tv anymore though either)
Being Human (UK version obviously)
The Office (UK version once again, also not on air anymore)
Dexter

A lot of my old favourite shows have recently gone downhill, which is disappointing. Also, I have a queue full of tv shows on Netflix, which I have yet to get through.
Reply 58
True Blood, Luke? Seriously? :facepalm2:

Anyway, I'm gonna be boring and obvious and agree that Community is probably the most consistent and most creative comedy currently on TV, alongside It's Always Sunny and Curb (even though the dialogue's improvised, the way Larry David engineers this absurd situations is amazing).

Best drama on at the moment is Treme, Breaking Bad or Mad Men, and The Wire, Deadwood and Six Feet Under were probably the best of all time.
Deadwood.
I don't think as many people know of it as should.
I'm not an expert on the Old West or anything, but it seems to be pretty historically accurate for a regular TV show - it's not over-done. It's also complicated with loads of people vying for power, the characters are complicated and they are all multi dimensional (not just "good guys" and "bad guys" - they are all good and bad, as real people are, especially when you put them in tough situations) and it deals with a lot of issues.
Also, busty hookers all over the place.

Quick Reply

Latest