Countries you were disappointed about Watch

GenialGermanGent
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by screenager2004)
Not going back to Europe any time soon!
You realize Britain is part of Europe and you never left it in the first place?
screenager2004
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
You realize Britain is part of Europe and you never left it in the first place?
Mainland Europe.... thought that was pretty self evident.
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Cicerao)
None so far. Except I had lots of creepers flirting with me in Egypt and Jordan which was worrying. (Not bragging, I was genuinely creeped out.)

Having said that, in Jordan they were pretty friendly. Egypt, not so much.
Thats just Egypt tbh. They do it to every women.
AP1989
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I don't know what you guys were expecting from a city that has pretty much been built in the last decade. I mean, you expected history and culture? Really?
You're right, I didn't expect that but I did expected something closer to a modern city with perhaps a hint of Middle Eastern culture.
AP1989
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Blueflare)
I know it's not representative of France, but Paris was disappointing, especially considering that I didn't have high (unrealistic) expectations to begin with.
I got conned/mugged within 3 hours of arriving (in broad daylight and everything), was pestered by really pushy and aggressive merchants CONSTANTLY and a lot of people were rude. Couldn't get a good cup of tea, food was nothing special, and everything was obscenely overpriced. The architecture was great and I'm glad I saw the sights, but I did not enjoy being in Paris itself in the slightest. The metro was a pain in the ass, and lots of things were just generally underwhelming.
You acknowledged it yourself, but yes, major cities are obviously no where near a decent representation of a country. Instead they're just major international hubs for business.
GenialGermanGent
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mainland Europe.... thought that was pretty self evident.
You should have written it that way then. Virtually all Brits talk of 'Europe' as if it was another continent and they were one of their own.
xmarilynx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Last year we did a tour of Europe and it was massively disappointing. All the cities looked the same. All had the same H&M on the high street and naff cafes. Really really massive waste of money. Not going back to Europe any time soon!
I don't know how you can say that I admit I haven't been to every major city in Europe, but those I've been to this year have been a very different experience each time. You just can't compare Paris, Berlin and Brussels, for example. I can only imagine it must have been an interrail trip where you have a mere one or two days to pack in the (main and most touristy) sights and no time to learn anything about the history, culture, language or mix with the locals before rushing off to repeat the 'experience' in ten more cities.

(Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
You should have written it that way then. Virtually all Brits talk of 'Europe' as if it was another continent and they were one of their own.
Not all, this is one of my pet peeves too :p:
irina793
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
None so far, but hearing everyone's not so good experience with France, I'm kinda apprehensive now to go there this summer...
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tunisia. Nothing there really. Me and Tom spent most of our time in the bedroom in the hotel.

(Original post by soy_david)
New Zealand. 24 hours on a plane to end up back in Wales.
Are you kidding me! I loved New Zealand! Adrenaline capital of the world, yes please. Beautiful beaches, yes please. Beautiful scenery, yes please. Nice people, yes please.

Yeah the 26 hour flight wasn't great, but definitely worth it! Where did you go and for how long?
Hravan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)

Are you kidding me! I loved New Zealand! Adrenaline capital of the world, yes please. Beautiful beaches, yes please. Beautiful scenery, yes please. Nice people, yes please.

Yeah the 26 hour flight wasn't great, but definitely worth it! Where did you go and for how long?
Going slightly off-topic here..

I'm hoping to go to New Zealand in 2 years time.. Anything you think is a must-do and any recommendations on airlines or places to stay?

Although, my only reason for wanting to go to New Zealand (which has been a dream for 10 years now) is because of LotR. :rolleyes:
MizzCupcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by py0alb)
Denmark and Sweden. They were both cold, dull, grey and utterly miserable. The prices were eyewateringly ridiculous (£9 a pint and £20 for a burger) and without exception the people were breathtakingly rude and unfriendly. Apparently the Danish for "excuse me" is an elbow in the ribs.

Curious fact: the Danish celebrate New Years Eve by firing fireworks at each other and the police. I saw two middle aged women bleeding from being hit in the face. Nobody appeared to give a ****.
It can be dull grey and boring especially during the winter but in the summer it is sunshine and daisies

and lol! at Denmark, I live in the south of Sweden and it is sorta part of the culture though, to be not so much rude but reserved and only talk to people you know. If I say hi to someone in my neighbourhood they just look at me like I'm stupid but some are nice, especially the old ladies at least, they'll talk to anyone!

I agree about the prices :nothing:
Though the fireworks thing you can't pull everyone over one shoulder, there are nice people here too who do not do that..I've never seen that at least, only when something goes wrong..but accidents happen :dontknow:

(Original post by saaail)
If I could have a penny for every time someone has asked me if I've seen a polar bear walk down the street, I'd be a kajillionaire. Where I'm from in Sweden is constantly hotter than Turkey in the summer months, which always seems to surprise people.. But yes, the winter months are long and hard. What do you expect from a bunch of islands so far North?

I'll agree with you on the price thing, though. It physically pains me to part with my money sometimes!
Polar bear :rofl: seriously? :gah: :ahee:

So where in Sweden you from?
MizzCupcakes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by irina793)
None so far, but hearing everyone's not so good experience with France, I'm kinda apprehensive now to go there this summer...
meh they're English what reaction do you expect from them?

nah I'm joking...some can be rude some aren't, same with everyone in most countries really.. I thought Paris was great really beautiful with all the cafés and the restaurants, the culture and music. Some of em are polite some aren't..but I'm from Sweden so maybe they have something against the English specifically Though be aware of the pocket-thieves, we almost got robbed. Thank god my mom has great sense and felt someone rummaging her bag thinking it was my little sister when she said "I'm not doing anything mom! Don't blame me for everything!" and my mom grabs someones hand. The look on that thiefs face was priceless :rofl: he just ran for it and my mom got to keep her wallet
chemical_bex
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Wales...It felt like a time warp, like I was in the early nineties or something.
And Bulgaria, I wanted to leave as soon as we arrived, it was just filled with McDonalds.

I don't get all the France hate, it's my favourite place ever, everyone is so nice, the cities/towns/villages are so nice it's just lovely
soy_david
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ice_Queen)

Well, seeing as I've no interest in bungee jumping, climbing stuff and have a spot of vertigo it's never going to satisfy me. Oh, nor do I like beaches.

The scenery is lovely and the people, too, but it just felt like I was back in Wales, what with everyone wanting to talk to me about rugby. I was there for 3 weeks and went from Rotorua all the way up to Whangerei and everywhere inbetween.

Also: Australia I enjoyed less. Yes, you can shoot me.
Willum Infanta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by chemical_bex)
Wales...It felt like a time warp, like I was in the early nineties or something.

I don't get all the France hate, it's my favourite place ever, everyone is so nice, the cities/towns/villages are so nice it's just lovely
Wow, exactly same answer as I was about to put...Wales was made worse as the place we were staying at, all the actual entertainment bits like tennis courts/table tennis/arcadey place etc. were still being made...so you got woken up early by builders...

Oh but there WAS a minuscule football pitch though it was really boggy and had really long grass so was practically unplayable on but due to our boredom we just played marsh football all week :dry:

Edit: Forgot the France bit! Erm, I've been to Paris and Auxerre and thought both were really nice, lots to do...the people weren't ALWAYS nice but you get that everywhere.

Going to Normandy this summer :woo:
NOBODY MOVE!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
poland - particularly wroclaw. some parts were alright - like the centre and all the markets.......but for the most part:
* quite a few intimidating groups/gangs about
* uncomfortable for me to drive on (i like spend most time on holidays driving - there were some VERY poor road surfaces)
* quite a bit of vandalism about.....some parts were like ghettos.

however, worst of all for me was in sofia,bulgaria.even though i was only there with my mother for one weekend
* i witnessed much (minor) crimes there like pickpocketing - though i knew about this reputation i was still shocked to see it happen so much. though i wore my backpack and my mum's handbag under the jacket i was wearing so they couldnt get to them, U_U
*i also got into a fight with a local.... some short b*stard guy around my age tried to break into my car i had left parked when i was at a restaurant..... as soon as i clocked onto him out the restaurant window, i threw down my fork, ran outside the restaurant to approach him from behind, then suddenly i pulled hard on his ear and kicked him in the back of his leg,only for him to turn around, notice how much more taller/intimidating than him i was, and then he run away....... -_-'
Curly_hair_girl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mekong Delta in Vietnam, I thought it was a place of beauty, I saw a floating piece of poo. The tour I went on to see it wasn't great, so I guess that dampened my view on it. Ho chi minh was cool, but not great, but it seems Vietnam is nicer in the north.
Ice_Queen
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hravan)
Going slightly off-topic here..

I'm hoping to go to New Zealand in 2 years time.. Anything you think is a must-do and any recommendations on airlines or places to stay?

Although, my only reason for wanting to go to New Zealand (which has been a dream for 10 years now) is because of LotR. :rolleyes:

Sky dive. There is this one place that you can see both islands from if it's a clear day and it's amazing.

If you're a LotR fan you can do a "LotR horseback ride" (I think it goes on the beach and through the forests).

Places to stay, I'd go with hostels. I 'toured' New Zealand - started in Queenstown and worked up towards Auckland.

There is honestly something for everyone. I went shopping and bungee jumping in Christchurch, black-water caving in Waitomo. I've shared a meal with Maori people, I have had mud baths and I've quad-biked my way around the hills. There is ice-hiking, skiing, kayaking....

I can never really express how much I fell in love with NZ the moment I landed, 26 hour flight or not.
popdrops
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
France. It just wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. I did see a pigeon which got a piece of cheese stuck on its back though.
madchixrock
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AspiringGenius)
Italy, or more for that fact Rome. We went a few years ago and it was dirty, congested and the landmarks were poorly maintained and cost money to go into.

Were not Christian but we found the Vatican a really impressive place, well kept, had lots of history. We spent three occasions there, first we saw St Peters which was amazing. Then we went to the Sistene Chapel, which also gave way to the Vatican museum and artefacts. Then, finally we went to Sunday Mass and saw Pope Benedict XVI.

Ok, well that was sort of irrelevant. But it is incredible that my biggest surprise and disappointment were both in one city!
I'm so surprised at this I feel I have to stand up for Rome, yes it is congested as they can't build many new roads, underground systems due to ruins, etc. And yes dirty and dusty in Summer but many hot, touristy cities suffer from this.
I'm assuming the landmarks you refer to are the Colosseum, Palatine, Forum area, etc (pay one entrance fee) and maybe the Pantheon (free). I think one of the reasons why they look so run down is that they are about 1500 yr older than the Vatican. And maybe the reason they look poorly maintained is to emphasise the fact the Vatican was built from materials robbed from these sites. For example, the roof of the Pantheon was stripped to provide the materials for the baldicchio in st Peter's Basilica.

Must explain I'm not Italian but I've lived just outside Rome for last 3 years and love the place (I live in one of the "New Towns" built in the 1930's and it's not pretty!).

Just wanted to put another point of view across but of course everyone has their own opinions & memories of holidays & visits!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads