Why the monarchy will survive forever Watch

WelshBluebird
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Isn't most of the Tourism to do with the palace and other buildings themselves though? Not specifically the monarchy, just the artifacts and buildings associated with it?
username547863
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I reckon the royals will lose the majority of their public funding in our lifetime.
Even if they do theyll take back the Crown estate and make their own money.
The_Great_One
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
So yes, a privileged background.

Also, a middle-upper class background is not "normal". Most people in the country are from a working class or lower-middle class background.

And what the hell do fighter jets have to do with this?
Sorry i meant upper-middle not middle-upper.
username547863
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Isn't most of the Tourism to do with the palace and other buildings themselves though? Not specifically the monarchy, just the artifacts and buildings associated with it?
People love come to see buckingham palace and such because we actualy have a monarchy existing today. Look at france and all other countries who have great castles but no more monarchy, noone bothers with them like they do with ours
iainthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by The_Great_One)
Just a normal middle-upper background.
Well that's hardly normal in comparison to most of the country, and definitely not normal in comparison to the rest of the world. IMO that's a very privileged upbringing.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry i meant upper-middle not middle-upper.
Same thing.
So I will say it again:

Most people in the country are not from a upper-middle class background. They are from a working class or lower-middle class background.
So being from such a background does mean you are from a privileged one.
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
People do the buckingham palace tour because theirs a chance they'll get to see the queen. Also theirs 21st century working castles out their like alnwick who is owned by the duke of northumberland who stays their even during the visitor season sometimes.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by NGC773)
People love come to see buckingham palace and such because we actualy have a monarchy existing today. Look at france and all other countries who have great castles but no more monarchy, noone bothers with them like they do with ours
Is that really true though?
My gf was in paris for a trip over the weekend, and they went to see the Palace of Versailles, as did many other people.

People do the buckingham palace tour because theirs a chance they'll get to see the queen.
Somehow I doubt that.
pol pot noodles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nexttime)
I reckon the royals will lose the majority of their public funding in our lifetime.
The only public funding they get is from the civil list, which is for the thousands of state duties they carry out, and security costs, which they get as the head of state, not as royalty.
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
Is that really true though?
My gf was in paris for a trip over the weekend, and they went to see the Palace of Versailles, as did many other people.

Somehow I doubt that.
Well if you go to windsor you can see the queen driving round by herself!!
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well if you go to windsor you can see the queen driving round by herself!!
Most people who go to any royal building do not see any members of the royal family.
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
Most people who go to any royal building do not see any members of the royal family.
Yer but not as a tour i mean if you just go to windsor normally theirs every chance you'll see the queen at a set of traffic lights.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yer but not as a tour i mean if you just go to windsor normally theirs every chance you'll see the queen at a set of traffic lights.
Again, somehow I doubt that.
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
Again, somehow I doubt that.
its true. Even she has her days off you know.
Barden
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you say so Its funny how a recent poll shows support for the monarchy has grown stronger. That was coming from the guardian as well. Also its getting bigger and bigger because as things advance in years they become more modern and better like fight jets for example we started off with the spitfire now have the euro fighter. The same thing applies here as things go on we master them more and they improve and keep getting bigger and better. Also the fact that theyve become more normal suggests their more like the people which makes them even more popular.
Can you actually speak English? Or did you write that in Mandarin and stick it through Google translate? :confused:
The_Great_One
Rep:
?
(Original post by Barden)
Can you actually speak English? Or did you write that in Mandarin and stick it through Google translate? :confused:
Name calling is the first sign of defeat
Fusion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Joinedup)
I concur with the chap who says the monarchy will be lucky to survive the reign of Charles in tact.
Do you mean because of Charles personally, if so couldn't they bypass him for William?
yamamotootsu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We're called the 'commoners' by the royals

check out Howard Good News Show on BBC Iplayer.
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Don John)
This. They generate unprecedented amounts of tourism revenue.
How? apart from the wedding ofc...
Enoch.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
This is what I am thinking...tourists don't come here to see the Queen,they come here for the buildings,crown jewels and culture.

France gets more tourists than UK and they are a republic.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (459)
38.06%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.35%

Watched Threads