Any GUYS out there wanting to take Nursing for 2012 Entry? Watch

Hito
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by xcoral23)

e.g. some ask for degrees biology/chemistry based such as biomedical science - many wont accept nursing or midwifery
Quite a few accept nursing degrees.
It depends on the type of degree (arts / humanity).

Some want A-levels matching the school leavers (A*AA-ABB) some including biology and chemistry and all want strong GCSE scores. You will also need to take the UKCAT in almost every case.
Wrong. There are a handful of universities which look at A levels (i.e chemistry / biology i.e Birmingham/ Liverpool / Bristol. These universities do NOT have to sit the UKCAT as part of their application process.

Graduate entry applicants generally do not need worry about A level results as doing a degree and gaining (2:1 +) is considered a measure of academic suitability.

I agree with another poster when they said that Graduate entry to medicine is the most competitive out of the 3 routes (preliminary/5-year/graduate) and most of these applicants will have very stong A-level results, GCSE results, UKCAT results and atleast 2.1 in there degrees if not higher.
Graduate entry is competitive, but isnt everything in life? If somebody wants to become a doctor 'it being competitive' is not a problem.

I'd personally say try to do your best in the A'levels you are doing (it will save you some time). But if you decide to pursue nursing and then medicine, it will not hurt either. :-). Good luck!
Venomilys
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lozzyhickers)
Obviously, I am not male, and neither am I applying for Nursing this year. But I think it's great that you guys don't get put off by stupid stereotypes. All the best nurses i've had are male! Best of luck to you all!
no, the best nurses are the sexy female ones with blonde hair :coma:
xcoral23
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hito)
Quite a few accept nursing degrees.
It depends on the type of degree (arts / humanity).

Wrong. There are a handful of universities which look at A levels (i.e chemistry / biology i.e Birmingham/ Liverpool / Bristol. These universities do NOT have to sit the UKCAT as part of their application process.

Graduate entry applicants generally do not need worry about A level results as doing a degree and gaining (2:1 +) is considered a measure of academic suitability.

Graduate entry is competitive, but isnt everything in life? If somebody wants to become a doctor 'it being competitive' is not a problem.

I'd personally say try to do your best in the A'levels you are doing (it will save you some time). But if you decide to pursue nursing and then medicine, it will not hurt either. :-). Good luck!
I think you'll find I said "some" or "most" in nearly everything I posted so no need to go around saying "wrong" ect is there..

I'm not "WRONG", I didnt say ALL universities need this, that or the other I simply said that these things need to be considered..

Yes I agree, I was simply stating that it is competitive there is no need for the way you downgraded me then. Nothing I said was wrong, none of it was against the poster before and it was all advice and information just like you have posted but you don't see me breaking down your advice and demanding that it is all wrong.

Seriously be more considerate in the future.
Hito
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Firstly; your post comes across negative. Prior to my applying for med school people said similiar things to what you said and it made me feel like i wasnt good enough.

'Some want A-levels matching the school leavers (A*AA-ABB) some including biology and chemistry and all want strong GCSE scores. You will also need to take the UKCAT in almost every case.'

People don't look at the 'some'. They look at the A* A levels, biology / chemistry and strong GCSE and by pass everything else. This immediately makes people feel unworthy.

Its only when I researched myself how >MOST/SOME/WHATEVER< do not. I think it would have been 'nicer' to be all rounded and saying 'yes some want xx a levels, but some universities do not require this, so dont be disheartned etc etc'.

Anyway, apologies - I just feel quite strongly about this topic.

a) I am a medical applicant (like yourself).
b) I am a nurse (unsure if you are).
c) I am applying for graduate entry (unsure if you are).

Apologies again.
vertigo.0012
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The nurse in charge of the ward where I hang around on work experience occasionally is one of the nicest guys I've met and a fantastic nurse, loved by patients and staff and is genuinely a credit to the profession. Obviously the same can be said of many of the female nurses but that's less relevant to the thread.

But yeah, good luck to you guys applying.
xcoral23
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Hito)
Firstly; your post comes across negative. Prior to my applying for med school people said similiar things to what you said and it made me feel like i wasnt good enough.

'Some want A-levels matching the school leavers (A*AA-ABB) some including biology and chemistry and all want strong GCSE scores. You will also need to take the UKCAT in almost every case.'

People don't look at the 'some'. They look at the A* A levels, biology / chemistry and strong GCSE and by pass everything else. This immediately makes people feel unworthy.

Its only when I researched myself how >MOST/SOME/WHATEVER< do not. I think it would have been 'nicer' to be all rounded and saying 'yes some want xx a levels, but some universities do not require this, so dont be disheartned etc etc'.

Anyway, apologies - I just feel quite strongly about this topic.

a) I am a medical applicant (like yourself).
b) I am a nurse (unsure if you are).
c) I am applying for graduate entry (unsure if you are).

Apologies again.
I was not intending on being negative in any way. I said 'some' because myself I'm applying for a course that accepts BCC however, it's not graduate entry.

I intended on being supportive hense my last two sentences telling the poster to go for it and if it is medicine they wanted to do then something will work out either way.

It's fine, I feel strongly aswell because suprising or not my grades are not top and my GCSE are not strong I've been in exactly the same situation feeling not good enough.

I apologise aswell for any negativity shown and good luck with your applications this year
ali93
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, did I miss all the fun already??

yep i'm a guy applying for Nursing 2012 entry...
Applying for adult nursing most probably at
King's
LSBU
Middlesex
Bucks and
the dual field at southampton
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (61)
37.42%
No - but I will (6)
3.68%
No - I don't want to (10)
6.13%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (86)
52.76%

Watched Threads