Turn on thread page Beta

Give me as many disadvantages to studying medicine as you can think of... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ledzeppelin)
    Because in reality medicine all comes down to a massive amounts of paperwork, law-suits and clinic duty :/
    Okay thanks for telling me that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fantaisie)
    It's hard.
    It's long.
    It's expensive.
    Your incompetence or mistakes could result in someones death.

There are lots of good reasons to study it aswell, but here are the most obvious disadvantages.
    That sounds like a euphemism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Drunks-they are pretty annoying.
    even the ones that tell you how much they love you and that you are the most amazing person ever?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Okay thanks for telling me that.
    your welcome buddy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    Rep for you as soon as possible.

ReputationRep:
    pervy old doctors who are after young trainee ass.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k9markiii)
    I am aware of this, I enjoyed writing it all the more becasue of that.

ReputationRep:
    Sick people and having to talk to them. Put me right off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    Drunks-they are pretty annoying.
    Other sectors appreciate overtime.

ReputationRep:
    If Scrubs is anything to go by, then some of your female colleagues may be whiny and annoying, but don't worry, they turn out to be smoking hot after a few years.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ledzeppelin)
    Doctors would be nothing without Chemists, Biologists, Biochemists, (and in a way Physicists/engineers ) - so pretty much scientists doing the research enable to allow doctors to do their work. Mind you i'm not saying doctors are bad, but what all of the people listed above do are the people who are going to end up curing diseases like AIDS and cancer. Doctors are only diagnosticians or glorified mechanics in my opinion :/
    Apart from sounding quite butt hurt... You do realise that doctors are largely all of those things and proficiency in chemistry and biology is a necessity? And the people who innovate in research are often doctors. Glorified mechanics? Clearly only someome who doesn't do/know medicine would say that.

Oh and :fyi: doctors do do lots of experiments and use some of the latest tech which just studying bio or chem would never let you access.

I'm confused as to why you posted as if it was relevant... or why you're trying to tell medics in the medicine forum about medicine as a non medic...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamageddon)
    Other sectors appreciate overtime.
    Pardon? Sorry, I'm a little slow this morning....

(Original post by Organ)
    even the ones that tell you how much they love you and that you are the most amazing person ever?
    Ooh Organ I forgot about the lovely ones! Drunken hugs.... as long as you don't inhale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Facticity)
    Oh and :fyi: doctors do do lots of experiments and use some of the latest tech which just studying bio or chem would never let you access.
    The guy you were quoting was a twit as well but this is simply not true. You may use clinical gear that bench scientists wouldn't since they are not allowed to treat people clinically, but a bench scientist working for big pharma or a good university lab will use kit that a doctor doing their very limited amount of bench research would never see.

And "just" studying bio or chem... lol. Sounds like you need an anocephalectomy stat!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by thisismycatch22)
    The guy you were quoting was a twit as well but this is simply not true. You may use clinical gear that bench scientists wouldn't since they are not allowed to treat people clinically, but a bench scientist working for big pharma or a good university lab will use kit that a doctor doing their very limited amount of bench research would never see.

And &quot;just&quot; studying bio or chem... lol. Sounds like you need an anocephalectomy stat!
    I didn't mean "just" bio or chem in a pejorative or belittling sense. And okay I'm largely aware of the above but a doctor could quite easily specialize and then pick up the same job as medicine is hugely flexible so I still don't see what the main point is as largely depending on what you want to do and study you could get to use the same tech. Though tbh I suspect many doctors don't want to spend all day in a lab but rather diagnose and treat people hence why they didn't opt for purely chem or bio but rather medicine.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.