The Student Room Group

Non-Mathematic grades could be my doom?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You're a lot better off than people who have a talent for one subject that isn't Maths. At least you have two very strong grades. Worst case scenario, A*AD is 320 UCAS points. It's not Oxbridge but some alright unis are bound to accept that.
Reply 41
Original post by wanderlust.xx
A bloke on my maths course got a B for A level maths and quite frankly he's extremely good at university maths, simply because the teaching is completely different to A level. I'm pretty much the same, although I got an A in maths because I did papers and found my own resources.

Good luck to you, sir, because from personal experience a lot of unbelievably arrogant ********s who got A*'s at GCSE and A levels screwed up their degrees because they didn't know how to learn unless a teacher was sitting next to them telling them the methodology.

I've heard about this too, I'm trying to pick up tips from friends and what not who are in university doing different courses and years on things I could try doing.

I'm confident that I'll do well, since I'm pretty good at picking things up fast.
Original post by IxI_Rhys_IxI
I've heard about this too, I'm trying to pick up tips from friends and what not who are in university doing different courses and years on things I could try doing.

I'm confident that I'll do well, since I'm pretty good at picking things up fast.

With Maths you're either someone who likes to learn from a lecturer, or from the notes/books/external resources. Figure that out quickly, and then you can decide whether you're going to every lecture there is or if you're going to skip the ones that don't suit you.

Tbh, not a lot of people are the latter with maths... most learn better with a lecturer. Those who say otherwise are just kidding themselves.
That AEA sounds really fun, I will definitely ask about that, and get the maths department to add me in for it if they can. How much does it rank in terms of qualifications?

Is just more personal statement/CV material, or will universities actually consider me over others if I have this.

It's hard to say, I would advise you to talk to the Oxbridge Mathematics department. I think (again, I could be wrong) it's just an addition to your application. They probably wouldn't include the AEA as part as your offer but it would put you at a massive advantage compared to all the other Maths applicant (most, if not all of the applicants will have A*'s in Maths/Further Maths and probably an A in a Science).

AFM would most likely be part of your offer by the way.
Reply 44
Original post by Sagacious
It's hard to say, I would advise you to talk to the Oxbridge Mathematics department. I think (again, I could be wrong) it's just an addition to your application. They probably wouldn't include the AEA as part as your offer but it would put you at a massive advantage compared to all the other Maths applicant (most, if not all of the applicants will have A*'s in Maths/Further Maths and probably an A in a Science).

Yeah, I had a bit of a look up the AEAs since I last posted, seems that when combined with quals, it helps.

Thanks, I asked about the school sorting out a sit on this examination, and they're happy to let me (And a few others) do the exam, since they actually didn't know the exam existed.
Reply 45
Original post by wanderlust.xx
With Maths you're either someone who likes to learn from a lecturer, or from the notes/books/external resources. Figure that out quickly, and then you can decide whether you're going to every lecture there is or if you're going to skip the ones that don't suit you.

Tbh, not a lot of people are the latter with maths... most learn better with a lecturer. Those who say otherwise are just kidding themselves.

I can teach myself Mechanics and Pure maths by myself without and issue, I could probably do that with decision too, but I it an excessively boring module.

I would prefer the actual lectures though, I have no intention to skip them on purpose either, since it's just a waste of my own time and money if I'm doing that.
Original post by Sagacious
The AEA is almost completely meaningless for Cambridge, and I would expect pretty meaningless for Oxford as well.

Oxford have their own test that you sit in November (but since it's so early, that test is not necessarily a "competitor" to the AEA).

Cambridge have their own tests (STEP) that you sit in June like any other exam. Since Cambridge will definitely want you to do those tests, the AEA is basically pointless for a Cambridge application.

(It's also worth noting that most people consider the standard Cambridge STEP offer (1,1 in STEP II, III) to be quite a lot harder than getting a distinction in the AEA).

If you choose to take it, possibly. It's certainly not expected though, and I know of people who've done M, FM and AFM who have been required to get an A in something else.
Afaik, Warwick ask for A*A*A in Maths, Further OR Additional Further maths, +1. So you can't have M,FM,AFM as 3 A levels. I know of some people on this forum (Simba springs to mind) who had the same with Cambridge, in fact he already had AAA ([Abe Simpson]Baaack in my day we didn't have A* grades....[/Abe Simpson]) in M,FM,AFM with 1,S in STEP II/III and was still required to get an A in Physics.
Electriic_ink: Lashing out at me calling me arrogant because I'm blatantly really smart at maths, but horrible at Chemistry is a really good way to act on these forums right?Reality check: if you are not confident of getting an A*A* in M/FM, your maths results are below par for Oxbridge, even before you factor in any other exams.

[Before people chime in with anecdotes of friends who got in with AA or whatever: "below par for Oxbridge" doesn't mean you can't get in to Oxbridge with those grades. But you will be 'behind the curve'; I'm confident the majority of undergrads will have A*A* in M/FM].
Original post by DFranklin
The AEA is almost completely meaningless for Cambridge, and I would expect pretty meaningless for Oxford as well.

Oxford have their own test that you sit in November (but since it's so early, that test is not necessarily a "competitor" to the AEA).

I was aware of STEP and the aptitude test for Mathematics but surely an AEA/EPQ/Olympiads/Maths Challenges would look impressive due to his dedication and passion for the subject?

Cambridge have their own tests (STEP) that you sit in June like any other exam. Since Cambridge will definitely want you to do those tests, the AEA is basically pointless for a Cambridge application.
(It's also worth noting that most people consider the standard Cambridge STEP offer (1,1 in STEP II, III) to be quite a lot harder than getting a distinction in the AEA).

If you choose to take it, possibly. It's certainly not expected though, and I know of people who've done M, FM and AFM who have been required to get an A in something else.

Yeah, I've heard that Physics/Chemistry is preferred for a Mathematics degree.I personally think M/FM/AFM>M/FM/Phys for a Maths applicant.

PS: I have joined the schools Maths Society and the Physics Society (I want to study Physics at Oxford). Maybe he could ask his school if there are similar things?
Reply 50
Original post by Einheri
This should really say something about the university . . .

Liverpool. It's reputable.
Reply 51
Original post by Raiden10
Liverpool. It's reputable.

No, it isn't; it's just not utterly terrible. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest