Turn on thread page Beta

University is for studying, not drinking watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How about you stop criticising the way people go about their lives and let us enjoy what we enjoy doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ineluctable)
    One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.
    Oh, so drinking and premarital sex lead inexorably to thirds? Thank you for warning me, you wondrous soul. Your work on here saving the misguided youth of today is invaluable.

ReputationRep:
    there's not enough drinking in universities in the uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    Don't ask him for evidence, he'll make you google it so you can find the evidence he doesn't have to back up his ridiculous opinion!
    Ahhh, this guy has a bit of a track record eh?

Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll just back out of this thread, clearly he's just looking to be controversial

ReputationRep:
    One of the things that particularly annoys me about university students is the vice of drinking. Having alcoholic inclinations also leads to other vices (such as premarital sex).

Universities are educational and research centres, where you are meant to work. After all, if you want to drink, why go to university at all? I don't think anybody has a license to complain when they end up with an average degree and have few job prospects due to the lifestyle that they have chosen to lead.
    Why dont we have both?

ReputationRep:
    I'm at universty for the heroin and crack, personally.

I think it's quite funny that OP suddenly shut up when he realised how bigoted his opinions seemed...

ReputationRep:
    Have a drink, bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by any_name)
    Are you aware that they're students that go to university to train as priests ?
    Yes i know.but thats what is an exception.and even then those are really students and thus can choose their lifestyle.what i meant was that if you are training to be priests, then you must be very well aware of its conditions! But those who are doing other majors are not bound to abstain from it all!
    only religious professions are subjected to such restriction even in real life,whereas others are not!

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't the drinking that prevented me getting a first, it was the fact that I lost interest in my degree and gave up in my second year. I drank more in my first year when I got the higher grades..year 3 was more catch-up.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a right bundle of laughs OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hummingbird28)
    Yes i know.but thats what is an exception.and even then those are really students and thus can choose their lifestyle.what i meant was that if you are training to be priests, then you must be very well aware of its conditions! But those who are doing other majors are not bound to abstain from it all!
    only religious professions are subjected to such restriction even in real life,whereas others are not!
    Take it easy mush , i was just messing .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by any_name)
    Take it easy mush , i was just messing .
    Hmm..nothing serious from my side either!!but thankyou for reminding me abt religious degrees.totally slipped my mind!!

ReputationRep:

my housemate is a physcist, took all his exams drunk and topped his class by a margin of 20%.

your move

ReputationRep:
    I foolishly thought this, until I arrived here and realised its just one big party. :woo:

ReputationRep:

I went out and had a few drinks last night (didnt get drunk), I also went home and had sex with my girlfriend (whom I've been with going on 4 years.)

IM A SINNER! GODS GOING TO SEND ME TO HELLL ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Im paying for uni, I'll do what ever the **** I want in my free time.
    Uni time is for hard work, freetime is well... for drinking and sexing.

ReputationRep:
    For many they interfere. It would be absurd to deny that heavy alcohol consumption doesn't interfere with work.
    How, exactly? I didn't used to drink and since I have my academic record has very clearly improved. Im not saying thats due to alcohol, its due to me putting a whole lot of hard work into my studies. How does having a couple of drinks (which I do - I dont drink extensively) or even getting mildly drunk interfere with my work?
    Surely if I wake up feeling fresh as a daisy, I will put just as much effort into my studies as I would have if I didn't go out and did shots of oj at home all night.

More teetotallers get better degrees
    I do enjoy it when people confuse deluded opinion based on no evidence at all with fact!
    Jolly good show.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    on this topic there is an interesting article in The Times today by Libby Purves who analyses the Freshers' Week phenomenon

:bear:
    Do link for me

ReputationRep:
    brb, doing both.

ReputationRep:
    More teetotallers get better degrees
    Evidence for this?

Besides, it can also be argued that the social aspects attained by many students who go out for a few drinks witth peers aids their conversational and networking skills, helping them to become better rounded, more confident and more employable individuals in future. I'd be willing to bet there are plenty of high-flying company directors, bankers etc who engaged in more than their fair share of social activities at university.

Obviously it's entirely possible to be sociable without drinking, but if you take it the extreme and are a teetotal who locks themselves in their room to study 24/7, it is unlikely you'll have the 'soft skills' employers go for, and could find it hard to get a job despite getting a first.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.