Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for philosophy and economics with 0A*S I got 9As 2Bs, the way to look at it is not that if someone got rejected and had 9A*s, they might've been accepted with 10A*S..LSE don't make any secret of looking at GCSEs but the fact that people with perfect grades get rejected should say that if they don't think your right, you won't get in...GCSE grades obviously help convince them you're right but don't get too worked up over it...LSE is only one choice..

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anybody how essential is it to do Economics at A-level if applying for Economics/Economic History and Economics?

Thanks

(Original post by Passion Pit)
    Hey, does anybody how essential is it to do Economics at A-level if applying for Economics/Economic History and Economics?

Thanks
    I wouldn't think it would be that important as a lot of schools dont offer it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Passion Pit)

Thanks
    about 47.2% essential?

ReputationRep:
    I want to do law at LSE, I achieved 5 A*'s ( both English', History e.c.t - what I essentially need for Law) 3 A's 1 B and 2 C's and I am predicted AAA* in my A levels, do you think there is any chance of being accepted? I can understand they do really look at GCSE grades which is worrying me slightly!

ReputationRep:
    I only had 3A*s (rest As) so it is possible providing you write a spectacular PS!

Also, I've met quite a few people doing EC102 (1st year flagship economics module), who have never done economics and to be honest, you don't really need to have done economics as they teach you as if you've not had any experience. However, that does NOT mean its easy, it is still one of the hardest 1st year modules at LSE. I think people underestimate how much maths is involved in an economics degree; there's ALOT! So, I think in some cases, LSE will look at your maths grades more carefully than economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eldere123)
    I want to do law at LSE, I achieved 5 A*'s ( both English', History e.c.t - what I essentially need for Law) 3 A's 1 B and 2 C's and I am predicted AAA* in my A levels, do you think there is any chance of being accepted? I can understand they do really look at GCSE grades which is worrying me slightly!
    i'm so sorry 'cause i'm about to bombard you with an essay!

i've applied to do law at lse with gcse grades 4A* 7A 1B, no reply from them yet at first i wasn't sure whether to apply there because they have been known for being gcse nazis and honestly i don't think mine are good enough. but i really wanted to give it a shot.

it's very hard to tell you what chances of you being accepted, obviously the more A* the better, but since you've done your gcses already, there isn't much you can change unless you're willing to retake, but it's better if you concentrate on your as/a level for now.

just look at it this way, if you really want to go there but you don't apply there, you definately have no chance. it's all down to luck really. you hear people with hardly any a*, but still get in. you also hear people with 10+ A* but not get in. make sure when you apply to competitive universities, especially like lse, you have a back up which you are confident in getting into. i applied to kent as my back up and got an offer within two weeks. it's good to aim high, but also be wise with your choices. i'm sure you've heard people who have been rejected from all five universities, for courses like law, medicine, etc. maybe choose 1 or 2 university as a back up, and 3 or 4 really top ones.

however, make sure you have a good personal statement and the rest of your application is good. at their open day, they really emphasized how much weight they put on the ps, especially because they don't do interviews. really show how passionate you are to study law and how hardworking you are! plus, do lots of work experience and read some law books (there are some interesting ones!) or documentaries! they also want A*AA, so make sure you have all 'a's at as and is predicted high for a2! remember the A* has to be in a generally preferred subject- actually lse doesn't have a preferred list, only a non-preferred subject list, so research into that. oh and make sure the school has a good reference for you too!

after that, there's not much you can do but hope for the best, just be ready for rejections if it does happen.

if you're applying to other unis, like ucl, king's, etc make sure you prepare well for the lnat, and look at their requirement carefully!

good luck for the future! hope i've helped! sorry for this being awfully long

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people think you need many many many A* at GCSE. I have an offer and I have 3 A*. So you obviously don't need that many!
    I'd say for their most competitive courses (Economics), you will need quite a few more than 3 to be in with a chance, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbxtam)
    i'm so sorry 'cause i'm about to bombard you with an essay!

i've applied to do law at lse with gcse grades 4A* 7A 1B, no reply from them yet at first i wasn't sure whether to apply there because they have been known for being gcse nazis and honestly i don't think mine are good enough. but i really wanted to give it a shot.

it's very hard to tell you what chances of you being accepted, obviously the more A* the better, but since you've done your gcses already, there isn't much you can change unless you're willing to retake, but it's better if you concentrate on your as/a level for now.

just look at it this way, if you really want to go there but you don't apply there, you definately have no chance. it's all down to luck really. you hear people with hardly any a*, but still get in. you also hear people with 10+ A* but not get in. make sure when you apply to competitive universities, especially like lse, you have a back up which you are confident in getting into. i applied to kent as my back up and got an offer within two weeks. it's good to aim high, but also be wise with your choices. i'm sure you've heard people who have been rejected from all five universities, for courses like law, medicine, etc. maybe choose 1 or 2 university as a back up, and 3 or 4 really top ones.

however, make sure you have a good personal statement and the rest of your application is good. at their open day, they really emphasized how much weight they put on the ps, especially because they don't do interviews. really show how passionate you are to study law and how hardworking you are! plus, do lots of work experience and read some law books (there are some interesting ones!) or documentaries! they also want A*AA, so make sure you have all 'a's at as and is predicted high for a2! remember the A* has to be in a generally preferred subject- actually lse doesn't have a preferred list, only a non-preferred subject list, so research into that. oh and make sure the school has a good reference for you too!

after that, there's not much you can do but hope for the best, just be ready for rejections if it does happen.

if you're applying to other unis, like ucl, king's, etc make sure you prepare well for the lnat, and look at their requirement carefully!

good luck for the future! hope i've helped! sorry for this being awfully long
    What were your a level grades when you applied?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringGenius)
    Sorry to hijack this thread, but my friend achieved 0 A* for GCSEs, mainly As and Bs maybe the odd C. She is desperate to go the LSE, does she have a chance? :-/
    Depends what course? I got into LSE with those kind of GCSE grades but my course was relatively unpopular, for LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hackashaq)
    What were your a level grades when you applied?
    AS- AAAAB A Level Predictions- A*AAA, applied 8th nov!

ReputationRep:
    but doesn't LSE look at your a level grades , but i know that gcse's can't be the main deciding factor of you getting a place to geography , e.g 10 A*'s doesn't mean your the best candaiate , it means that they have a strong results at GCSE'S , but a level they can have less than , you at after GCSE things can easily change .

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 31, 2011
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.