Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classical Liberal)
    You cannot externally. Only individuals can judge. This is one of the fundamental reasons why central planning cannot work.

The best thing to do would be to get rid of the quotas government imposes on university courses.
    which would be absolutely fine if Govt wasn't paying for/paying a contribution towards the courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Those with the lowest CO2 output?
    LOL queer

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much impossible to judge which universities should go and which should stay.

I'd say we should just axe courses that aren't actually an academic discipline and have them taught somewhere else, like a polytechnic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    I'd rather they did that than what we've got now.

I'm also pretty damn sure it's against the rules of the site. I think they're even meant to give a damn summary about the article as well. Though that might've changed.

Also, this is a pretty good idea of his:

""You put the dentists and the doctors and the accountants in the vocational colleges and I think that would deal with the class issue," said Lord Glasman."
    Yeah, it's a good idea, but IMO there's room for a third type of university - professional academic colleges - that are separate from universities (there to pursue academic knowledge for the sake of furthering science and the humanities) and polys (there to pursue technical and practical knowledge for the sake of it's application in a vocation) with an aim of pursuing academic knowledge for it's practical application in a profession. Engineering might also be a good candidate to be separated out from amongst other subjects - everyone thinks engineers are weird, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I'd prefer to cut places across the board than go about chopping institutions. Mind you places like Glasgow Caledonian must go.

ReputationRep:
    funny enough, Glasman works at London Met.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Good.
    If they're sticking doctors, dentists and I presume lawyers and engineers into the new class of institution it might not necessarily be cheerful news for people doing humanities, even at high ranking institutions (he said upon noticing your sig)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Yeah, it's a good idea, but IMO there's room for a third type of university - professional academic colleges - that are separate from universities (there to pursue academic knowledge for the sake of furthering science and the humanities) and polys (there to pursue technical and practical knowledge for the sake of it's application in a vocation) with an aim of pursuing academic knowledge for it's practical application in a profession. Engineering might also be a good candidate to be separated out from amongst other subjects - everyone thinks engineers are weird, anyway.
    Don't medical departments benefit from the biology department's facilities, and vice versa with engineers and physicists?

ReputationRep:
    No matter who chooses it is going to be biased, feel sorry for all the lecturers though and the students training to be lecturers... something we don't need is more unemployment but maybe the benefits will outweigh the sacrifice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    If they're sticking doctors, dentists and I presume lawyers and engineers into the new class of institution it might not necessarily be cheerful news for people doing humanities, even at high ranking institutions (he said upon noticing your sig)
    I doubt any radical changes to the university system such as you have outlined in your post would actually occur.

However, if they did, it would simply result in humanities being phased out long after I've studied for my degree.

Humanities degrees have a place, however I do recognise the growing importance of STEM subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Ed Miliband and the Labour party as a whole are really and truly sounding desperate these days. A few days ago, he proposed the idea of decreasing fees to £6000 maximum and now hoping to axe half of the UK's universities.

How exactly would this work?
    How can we possibly measure which universities to close down? job prospects, good honours, alumnis?

This is too desperate and I honestly feel sorry for Miliband's future. He just doesn't look/seem appropriate for the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    LOL queer
    It was a stupid suggestion to demonstrate the point.

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much impossible to judge which universities should go and which should stay.

I'd say we should just axe courses that aren't actually an academic discipline and have them taught somewhere else, like a polytechnic.
    What would you say an academic discipline is and what would you say isn't? I don't think it is so clear cut there are obviously degrees out there that shouldn't be degrees or a course at all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Dangermouse)
    I'd prefer to cut places across the board than go about chopping institutions. Mind you places like Glasgow Caledonian must go.
    Glasgow Cale has some pretty ok - not amazing - courses though, particularly in subjects allied to medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PagowenTheGreat)
    Glasgow Cale has some pretty ok - not amazing - courses though, particularly in subjects allied to medicine.
    It's in the top ten in the uk for them in fact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)
    It's in the top ten in the uk for them in fact.
    Who's fact...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordenfruitbat)
    What would you say an academic discipline is and what would you say isn't? I don't think it is so clear cut there are obviously degrees out there that shouldn't be degrees or a course at all though.
    Events Management
    Travel and Tourism
    Waste Management

etc

ReputationRep:
    Events Management
    Travel and Tourism
    Waste Management

etc
    So Architecture then as thats not academic either?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Who's fact...?
    RAE 2008
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ssions-studies

Also here is the GCU page on it
    http://www.gcu.ac.uk/research/rae2008/

ReputationRep:
    They should make ''professional degrees'' more extensive

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.