Turn on thread page Beta

Cheap, filling, quick, tasty student food. watch

ReputationRep:
    my ****..

ReputationRep:
    Sausage & Black Eyed Bean casserole (2 servings if eaten on it's own, up to 4 if you do a jacket potato with it, so it lasts for a few days and is minimal effort.)

Cheap pack of as many sausages as you like - I use 8 (since they're going in a casserole, you can get away with the really cheapo ones)
    One can of chopped tomatoes (about 30p)
    One onion (few pence)
    One can of black eyed beans (again about 30p)
    One or two beef stock cubes (few pence)
    Jacket potato (optional)

Chop onion, drain beans, put everything in casserole dish and make sure the stock cubes are stirred in. Make sure sausages are on or near surface.

Cover (tin foil will do) and put in oven for 40 mins (about 160 degrees)

Take off tin foil, stir, then back in oven for 20 mins so sausages can brown. Eat with jacket potato if preferred.

It can last me up to 3 or 4 days if refrigerated and wrapped in film, and is frankly amazing winter food. Got your meats, your fruits, your vegetables, your carbs, your pulses etc.

Also like someone else posted, buy some pitta breads, cover them with tomato puree, cheese, bits of ham / bacon, whatever you like and grill it. Cheap pizza.

If you invest in a cheap surface deep fat fryer (Asda does them for about £15) you can make chips very quickly and cheaply, saves buying them all the time when you can chop up a potato and make your own.

I also have a George Foreman grill that I'm nearly physically attached to. Speeds up making chicken curries and stirfrys tenfold cos you don't have to cook the chicken in the wok with everything else, you just chuck it in at the end.

ReputationRep:
    supernoodles on toast

ReputationRep:
    Just thought of another actually, Penne with Salmon and Cream. You can get about two meals out of the salmon if you're not a pig like me! But it can't be stored, has to be cooked fresh so I cook the same meal two nights in a row. It's delicious though!

A pack of smoked salmon (the thin sliced stuff, you can get it for about £2 in Asda)
    150ml of cream (I prefer double, but single is fine)
    About 2oz, or just a reasonable knob of butter- this isn't a recipie where everything has to be exact.
    Lemon juice and thyme (as much as you want of both, it's to taste)
    Pasta for one, however much you usually have.

Put pasta on boil.

On pan on low heat, melt butter. When melted, add cream and stir til it's blended. Keep the heat low - it might bubble a little but you shouldn't boil or simmer it! At this point add a good pinch of thyme.

Now chop about half the salmon (I keep the other half for the next day) and add to the cream / butter. Again keep the pan heat low. The salmon should just about cook through until it's just flaky. Then add more thyme and the lemon juice to taste, and serve with the pasta. Pretty damn foodgasmic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanR)
    9p Tesco super noodles? Buy them and some herbs and flavourings and you've got a lot of meals sorted.
    what?! they cost 11p at my local tescos ... i feel ripped off now..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cloven Angel)
    what?! they cost 11p at my local tescos ... i feel ripped off now..
    Hmm... they were 9p the last I checked. They've probably gone up. :C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Real Quaid)
    At £9.95 per kg I think you're mistaken

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Produ.../?id=268768585
    yes, but who exactly is going to want to buy a kilo of cheese? :K:
    ...and anyway, cathedral cheese is expensive. I can comfortably live off about 250 grams of cheese per week.
    This would usually cost around £1.50 if you buy own brand, and probably even cheaper if bought on offer/close to expiry date... this is quite cheap in my opinion, considering that cheese is quite healthy and very filling...

ReputationRep:
    I've been at uni for over a week. so far I have survived off:

jacket potato with baked beans
    packet noodles with poached eggs
    pot noodle - when I felt really lazy
    pasta with ready made sauce wih tuna and sweetcorn. this can be spread over two meals
    3 for £2.50 stir fry ready made noodles with veg and soy sauce from tesco. this was spread out for three meals.

thats all really. its not the most varied or enriched diet but its filling. for lunch I have toast with jam and butter or baked beans and for breakfast I have cereal with milk. I have some fruit between meals and also biscuits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Trash)
    Pasta bake? As in pasta baked in sauce in the oven? How does that keep for a week? I can't imagine it reheats very well.

My contribution:

curry.

Make in big batches and freeze/eat for a few days. Rice is cheap and easy to make and you can throw anything in a curry. Cheap, easy, job done.
    I imagine they meant by freezing it if not, I have no idea how it isn't manky by the 4th day let alone the 6th!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by White Trash)
    Pasta bake? As in pasta baked in sauce in the oven? How does that keep for a week? I can't imagine it reheats very well.

My contribution:

curry.

Make in big batches and freeze/eat for a few days. Rice is cheap and easy to make and you can throw anything in a curry. Cheap, easy, job done.
    Yes... You let it cool down after you've eaten, then put it in the fridge or freezer. Back in the oven when you want to eat more, or you can have it cold, it's a perfectly good meal.. :lolwut: I'm vegetarian so I don't use any meat and so it does just keep in the fridge.. My housemates and I are a bit addicted so it usually gets eaten quickly. And for the person above, I've never had it go manky in the fridge. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrdreamerstar)
    my ****..
    it needs to be filling though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siani-chan)
    Yes... You let it cool down after you've eaten, then put it in the fridge or freezer. Back in the oven when you want to eat more, or you can have it cold, it's a perfectly good meal.. :lolwut: I'm vegetarian so I don't use any meat and so it does just keep in the fridge.. My housemates and I are a bit addicted so it usually gets eaten quickly. And for the person above, I've never had it go manky in the fridge. :lolwut:
    Cool, can I have the recipe?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...weather-hotpot

grand shopping total of £6.03!

ReputationRep:
    get a packet of noodles and some sweet chilli sauce, diced chicken breast and vegetables (onions, peppers, whatever).
    boil the noodles while you fry the chicken and chop the vegetables. Then drain off the noodles, run them under cold water and drain them again. Then chuck them in the pan with the chicken and vegetables. Then add the sweet chilli sauce, stir it all around for a few minutes and serve. easy, cheap and lush.
    Well, it works out cheaper if you buy the ingredients in large enough amounts anyway.

ReputationRep:
    In my first year I pretty much lived on Asda Smartprice 7p noodles (they were 7p then) with Tabasco sauce.

My advice is don't do that, my previously bulletproof immune system was gone within weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by memomemootoo)
    yes, but who exactly is going to want to buy a kilo of cheese? :K:
    ...and anyway, cathedral cheese is expensive. I can comfortably live off about 250 grams of cheese per week.
    This would usually cost around £1.50 if you buy own brand, and probably even cheaper if bought on offer/close to expiry date... this is quite cheap in my opinion, considering that cheese is quite healthy and very filling...
    Cheese is healthy?

ReputationRep:
    Tuna is so good. Filling, adaptable, can be stored for ages..and yummy. Also our flat seems to be going through shed loads of hummus!

ReputationRep:
    Bag of potatoes (2.5 kg) + pack of chicken/ pork chops/ minced beef

ReputationRep:
    Pasta is the staple in my flat! get a few cheapy tomato sauces and some veg of your choice and voila also, more fllin but less healthy- get some white lasagna sauce, grate loads add some pepper (powdered form works best, and I always used black pepper but use whatever you want) then add loads of grated cheese, then add to your pasta. It's sooooooooooo yummy!

Always have a loaf too. It's amazing what you can make with bread! You can never go wrong with toasties tbh. Also have a tin of beans to hand, beans on toast with grated cheese is one of the best quick meals in existence!

Eggs are always good to have too. My 2 'eggy' meals are french toast and omelettes! nomnomnom

Hmmmm. Rice is great to keep in the cupboard/freezer (I buy a bag of readymade rice which you just have to floof in the pan then it's cooked! very quick ) there are sooo many things you can cook with rice! Chilli con carne, curries, fried rice, RICE PUDDING :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarveyCanis)
    Buy pasta in bulk and get a few cheap sauces. Incredibly cheap, incredibly tasty and incredibly nutritious.
    Not it's not. Especially if you're buying white pasta, which most people do. All it is is carbs with one portion of vegetable (if that). There's no protein in it and not really enough vegetables for a main meal. While I wouldn't say it is unhealthy, it's not something you should be eating every day.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.