Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I certainly believe that the human capacity for improvement is almost infinite, and that we do not reach our full potential cognitively. However, I feel that certain people do have a disposition to be far better at certain things, and for some it is not the case, and so they have to try a million times harder to reach the same point as those who are 'gifted'. I also think it's often about belief, if we tell ourselves that something is impossible then that will often prove to be the case because we aren't trying hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    I would usually avoid things like these, but how would you know? I must say this is a massive generalization in your part and it's undoubtedly unfair. You don't say a student 'should' understand it just because they are students. All human beings have different capabilities and to say that everyone could actually pull it off is to me, extremely narrow minded and pretentious.

Sorry, but the more I read this, the more I think this is heading to the pretentious, obnoxious and superficial zone where everything can be done and should be done because of someone's optimism and ideals.

I admire your optimism and rather strong opinion that things could be done. Maybe because I used to be like that as well, but as time goes on, I think these kinds of things are highly subjective.

I would like to add I'm not in anyway asking you to stop thinking like you do. In fact, the world can actually benefit from people like you, but at the same time, I would argue that one should be careful not to enforce one's ideal to whomever they please.
    I do't see where this pretentious talk comes in. I'm not saying "Oh I thought it was easy, so they should to". I'm struggling to explain myself properly here, but look at, say, basic algebra.

(a+b)(c+d) = ac + ad + bc + bd

I remember being at GCSE and finding this difficult, I'd make mistakes and **** it up, but after I'd done enough problems it would click. What is that example really asking you to do though? it's just multiplication and addition, but you just have to apply those conceptually trivial operations in a certain manner to get that equation right. You don't even have to call reproducing a method like this "mathematics", it's just memorizing a method of getting something done. People have to learn rules and apply them across the board - I mean, look at writing in english. That's full of rules and syntax and stuff that you just have to practice until it comes without thinking.

That's just practice until you get comfortable with it. I think this algebra example extends to anything else. They can all be built up from really trivial things, and aside from those with proper medical learning disabilities, I really can't imagine why that should be impossible to anyone. You can always go back to the most fundamental of first principles and build up from there in baby steps.

ReputationRep:
    Having ADHD, and being quite a determined person to do tasks i struggle with...I'm still going to say No.

I simply cannot do boring stuff, no matter how hard i try. I literally HATE it. Things like statistics give me the feeling that i should be jumping off a cliff. I've tried, but i simply cannot force myself to memorize all these boring formulas.

However there are other things I can do that others really struggle too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JediArron)
    Hey guys, there is something t hat has been bothering me. I wasn't sure which section to post it in, so I'll just post it in here, as well as the chat section.

I was wondering, does everyone have the ability to do as good as someone else in something? I understand that genetics give an advantage to those 'lucky, special' people in certain fields. And therefore some people who aren't 'naturally gifted' have to try harder.

My Science teacher (with a PhD) said there is a point in which everyone reaches an academic peak and they can't learn some really hard stuff. However I have spoken to other people who have said it's a mixture, or it's all just dependant on how hard you try?

I actually raised this topic as I have just started AS (6th form) and wondering if I have potential to get all A's. Just for the record I am studying: Maths, History, Classical Civilisations and Physics. I am almost certain that I will struggle in Maths and Physics.

Please share your opinions on this topic
    I think mostly everyone has "ability" in something but it tends to be in different things so one person might have a real ability in art or music another in math. Even if you work your hardest it will be hard to compete with someone who has a natural ability in a subject who is also working extra hard.

Often though people with a lot of talent don't work as hard as they could as the get by on talent alone. This is ok at school and even at uni but as you progress though life into work and grad school your ability to "work hard" is what will see you though.

The secret to success is to discover what you are naturally good at and work very hard at it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwingOnTheSpiral88)
    just keep chipping away man, it's always simpler than it seems to be. it helps to have a break then come back to it later.
    I bet in a few years down the line I will look back at it thinking 'omg that was so easy why didn't I get it' but for now you are my personal free maths tutor Thing is I can tell that it's easy, and I know it but I just can't do it. It's a very hard concept that I have to explain.

ReputationRep:
    I believe nature determines the ceiling but nurture influences how close to it you can get. Applies to educational attainment as well as a whole host of other human 'achievements'.

ReputationRep:
    I am pathetic at maths and it's known to run in my family. I failed my mock exams and had only five months to prepare. I'm sure that if I had more time, I'd have done better but five months and a B+ in maths with all the hard work is just amazing, isn't it????
    I think you have more time on your hands.
    If we work hard, we can achieve whatever we want. If it's natural, it will be easy but if we're not a natural at it, we just have to work hard enough at it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    I believe nature determines the ceiling but nurture influences how close to it you can get. Applies to educational attainment as well as a whole host of other human 'achievements'.
    That is a bloody good quote, did you think it up yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoya Khan)
    I am pathetic at maths and it's known to run in my family. I failed my mock exams and had only five months to prepare. I'm sure that if I had more time, I'd have done better but five months and a B+ in maths with all the hard work is just amazing, isn't it????
    I think you have more time on your hands.
    If we work hard, we can achieve whatever we want. If it's natural, it will be easy but if we're not a natural at it, we just have to work hard enough at it!!!
    Yeah, it's ironic you said that because I just posted this thread - yesterday:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...php?p=34412306

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JediArron)
    That is a bloody good quote, did you think it up yourself?
    All my own work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    All my own work
    Awesome + late reply, oh well at least this thread gets bumped again

[bump]

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.