Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a size 8 and I love myself, although it has more to do with the size of my brain than the size of my arse.

ReputationRep:
    ./

ReputationRep:
    I'm usually a size 12, but I always feel good if I have to go a size down and bad if I go a size up. So yeah, it affects my self esteem!

ReputationRep:
    I'm size 6.

wish i was a size 10 but i don't have enough self esteem to be that size.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really suprisedat people saying it matters. :lolwut: I care about whether the clothes fit me and how they look, not what size is on the label. I'm usually a size 8, but I can be a 6 or a 10 if a particular style of clothes comes up differently, and I get coats in a 10 so they fit over jumpers. Doesn't affect me whether I buy a 6, 8 or 10.

ReputationRep:
    People should be focused on buying clothes that actually fit, rather than whether it's a certain size. I used to be slightly annoyed if I had to buy a size 12, but now, it doesn't really matter as long as it looks nice on me. I am quite tall, so that influences what size I am a little. Depending on what shop it is or whether it is a pair of trousers or a coat and so on, I vary between a size 8, 10 and 12.

People wouldn't really know what size you are unless they are good at guessing and if you tell them! I know that I am not overweight as I eat well and exercise frequently. Shouldn't it be better for your self-esteem if you look nice in the right size, than worrying if your clothes are too tight or big?

I'm a size 10 on top and a 12 on bottom.. usually..

Topshop I have to go size 14 in jeans which is like their biggest size so that makes me feel a bit poo but in dorothy perkins I can fit into size 10 jeans! :l

I admit if i have to go above my 'usual' size I feel bad, but again if i go below my 'usual' size i feel good

I definitely think they should standardise sizes it would make the shopping experience a whole lot easier, so you know exactly what size you are

ReputationRep:
    I'm anything from a 14 to a 20, mostly due to having ridiculously large boobs The biggest I've been is a 24 and at the moment I average out as a 16.

Honestly? I'd kill to be a size 12. I have moments sometimes when I love how I look and wouldn't want to change it. I do get moments when I get so upset because I can't get something in a certain size.

Vanity sizing doesn't really bother me. I had a jumper from Topshop years ago that was a size 12 yet if I tried a different size 12 jumper on today there's no way I'd get my arms in it, let alone anything else! I think Spain had the right idea of taking samples of women and measuring them and resizing clothes. As far as I know it's got rid of vanity sizing over there so its definitely a good thing.

I don't struggle to get clothes but if I need something that I can't get then I'm awful. Most of my trouble is artificial hormone induced (bloody pill!) but I do think that peer pressure and the media pressure to have perfect this and that plays a massive part of it. I remember in a magazine a while back that they used to do a feature about what the latest trends should be for your size and they always made the 'plus size' (in their minds, anything bigger than a 12!) look like they were wearing a tent!

I'll get off my high horse now

Edit: Wow, whoever negged me is mature...

ReputationRep:
    I picked up a dress the other day, thinking it was an 8 (I usually wear 8 dresses because my chest is pretty small, even though I sometimes have to wear size 12 jeans, which is so damn depressing) and felt crap because the zip was a bit hard to do up. Then I found out it was a 6. :lol: But yeah, I feel better when I'm in smaller sizes. But I hate it when I'm one size in one shop and then discover I'm the size up in another shop. Grrr.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a size 6. Well, my feet are.

To be honest I'm at the size now where clothes size doesn't bother me, I'm not going to have a break down because I've gone up a size; especially as every shop and style is different, it's not a consistent measure of size.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an 18, was a 20 a couple of months ago, though couldn't admit it at the time. I'm ok about my size but I'm in the process of losing and will be ecstatic to get down to a 14!

ReputationRep:
    It kind of annoys me that I have to wear a size 18/20 in order to get anything across my shoulders, chest and hips (wide shoulders, large chest diameter, wide hips) when the rest of my body is a 14 at 'worst'. Aside from feeling like shop assistants are judging you when you go clothes shopping, it also means clothes never hang properly and I end up with ridiculously long sleeves and trouser legs.

Vanity sizing is a ridiculous method - as I said, I could be 18 or 20, I'm never sure. Because I hate physically shopping, I'd like to just order online in bulk ... but because I don't actually know what size I would be, I have a 50/50 chance of having to send things back. I've even bought two of the same top in the same size from the same shop before, only to find one fit and one doesn't. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    My weight fluctuates a lot without me noticing. For example - before my exams this summer, I had lost a lot of weight and my body was in good shape. Fastforward a holiday, summer full of camping with pizza takeout and parties, and I'm a significant amount bigger. However, In some clothes, I can still fit in to a size ten. It does my head in, because without weighing myself every few days/week, which i'm not really keen on doing, I think it makes it a lot more difficult to monitor your body size. It really annoys me when sizes are different in shops, and I do really wish they were standardised. I've never heard of 'vanity sizing', and i'm way too tired to google it, but i'm going to guess that it's when a shop makes clothes sizes bigger than they should be to make women feel good in their clothes. If I am correct, and I'm not too sure, Well, I think it's a terrible and manipulative thing to do to your customers, and I also think it works really effectively. If I feel good in clothes I'm more likely to buy them - I like to think that this is mostly because of how i think I look in clothes, but I guess that subconciously the size the top is my have a significant impact on this, however i'm not sure how large... Being a ten obviously makes me feel better than myself than being a fourteen.

Before my exams this summer, I was a size ten in most things, eight in some and twelve in skinny jeans. I'd now say that I'm twelve in most, ten in some and a fourteen in skinny jeans - but I tend to avoid wearing them if I've put on weight, tbh.

A few months of dieting and i should be back down to a size ten. Or twelve. Or eight :facepalm: Stupid sizing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixie_xx)
    Oh and I remembered once a skirt from rare fashion was once too small for me at a size 6, which seemed silly as Im 5ft1/2 7 stone, so how skinny did they expect people to be to fit into it?! It didnt get to me, but Im sure some people may have been upset by this.
    I remember being size 4 and being upset that I couldn't fit into the smallest Diesel jeans. They were freaking tiny.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a 16, and I don't give a toss what the label says. If it fits, I buy it.

One of the worst sizing offenders by far is Lipsy. I find sometimes I can get into a 12, others I struggle to do a 16 up! Same with H+M and Primark. The most consistent I think are New Look, Dorothy Perkins and George @ ASDA.

That being said, I HATE when shops offer different leg lengths, but don't tell you how long each actually is - I take a 36in inside leg in 99% of trousers (unless i'm buying skinny jeans to tuck into boots), but a "long" in one shop is a 35in and another is 33in? Consistency please!!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't girls just do S,M,L??

and I find that European clothes make me feel sad as they are too tight, but if I hop over to Gant or something it fits just right

American sizes FTW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    Why don't girls just do S,M,L??
    Because there are more sizes and shapes than three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LipstickKisses)
    Because there are more sizes and shapes than three.
    I see.

Men are of simpler construction :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Computerised)
    I see.

Men are of simpler construction :P
    Yes, men don't have as much figure variation as girls. Clothes get more complicated when you add in things like boobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abi24)
    I'm a 16, and I don't give a toss what the label says. If it fits, I buy it.

One of the worst sizing offenders by far is Lipsy. I find sometimes I can get into a 12, others I struggle to do a 16 up! Same with H+M and Primark. The most consistent I think are New Look, Dorothy Perkins and George @ ASDA.

That being said, I HATE when shops offer different leg lengths, but don't tell you how long each actually is - I take a 36in inside leg in 99% of trousers (unless i'm buying skinny jeans to tuck into boots), but a "long" in one shop is a 35in and another is 33in? Consistency please!!
    ASDA annoys me, I bought a pair of shorts and some jeans in an 18 and couldn't get them to do up, everywhere else I'm an 18 just fine :dontknow:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.