Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    Yeah, I do. To be honest, I expected better PDF support from what is an e-reader. PDF is just such a core format. My main problem with it is the substitution of a zoom function and no control over the font (which I think is also something that you can't do in Adobe Reader and other devices, like you've said).

I convert all my PDFs. Downsides is the format messes up half the time. Kindle just can't handle tables, references or lists.
    That's because a lot of programs which create PDFs are pretty dumb and don't bother to embed any metadata to make it obvious whether something is part of a table, or just an arbitrarily positioned piece of text. In many cases, you effectively end up working with a bitmap, which means whatever tries to unpick it basically has to guess. And it's difficult, so in general, nobody bothers. The problem really is that PDF was never designed for this sort of usage... it was designed as 'digital paper' where the paper size is fixed and known at the creation time of the document...

...anyway, this is roughly in the area of my PhD research, so don't let me bore you to death...

ReputationRep:
    I might get it... It looks really, really good.

Do you guys recommend it?

(I love reading, but am hesitant of e-books as I prefer to read them properly for cheaper... but the games and apps add up for it, or so it seems )

ReputationRep:
    New Kindle isn't actually much of an update.

But the Kindle Fire looks amazing on Amazon.com

Seeing as it's a competitor to the Ipad2, it's seriously cheap.

ReputationRep:
    I think the keyboard is quite good on the Kindle 3, I certainly write quite a lot of notes with them.
    The only things I don't understand about it are:
    - How can you edit the notes?
    - How can you delete notes?
    - Why doesn't kindle bring a thesaurus if it already brings two dictionaries? It wants you to buy it.
    - Why is the internet browser under "Experimental"? I've used it hundreds of times, surely by now Amazon could have come up with an update? Changing where it says "Internet Browser" is all I want.

Also, they could have made customizable screen saver things. I've actually been asked why I have a ****** on my "thing" before, in reference to the screen of Emily Dickinson on my Kindle. Definitely not her best picture.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if the ad supported kindle is coming out in UK ?

its ridiculous how its $79 in the US and yet its £89 here !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamingmoe)
    does anyone know if the ad supported kindle is coming out in UK ?

its ridiculous how its $79 in the US and yet its £89 here !
    I very much doubt it is. I'd rather have my kindle without ads anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    I'm actually very interested in the Kindle Fire. A properly optimised media consumption tablet at an excellent price point (Which will hopefully translate over to the UK). I'll want to try one out in the flesh first, but this is easily the only tablet I'd be willing to buy aside from the iPad.
    I agree fully.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit smaller / lighter and a bit cheaper (£20) but that's about it. It has less battery life and less memory.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see the point in this new Kindle. From the comparison page on Amazon, it has less memory, less battery life and you can't play audio books. It doesn't seem that significantly lighter, and I don't think it looks half as good as the Kindle 3. It also isn't a lot cheaper, so I don't really see why anyone would buy this one over the others, unless they want the multi-language feature.

Seems a bit of a pointless model to me :/

ReputationRep:
    Is it worth getting the 3G?

I'm being bought one for Christmas/my birthday and I can't make up my mind whether I'd need it or not. I have a Blackberry too so it's not as if I can't get online on the move anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)

I'm being bought one for Christmas/my birthday and I can't make up my mind whether I'd need it or not. I have a Blackberry too so it's not as if I can't get online on the move anyway!
    With the blackberry, I'd say not really much point. Kin dof regretting not getting the 3G myself though.

ReputationRep:

No. How often will you need to download books on the move anyway? Is it worth the extra 40 odd quid? Wifi is just fine for me.

ReputationRep:

It's kind of worth it if you go abroad often, since the 3G is free and available in plenty of countries. For use in the UK I don't think it's worth it as you can just tether it to your Blackberry.

ReputationRep:
    I want the Fire!

ReputationRep:
    when is Amazon Fire coming to UK and how much ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamingmoe)
    when is Amazon Fire coming to UK and how much ?
    Unfortunately it isn't, at least there are no plans to roll it out internationally yet. It's disappointing because this tablet could definitely do well internationally, but analysts are predicting it's already going to be sold on a loss so they might just be being cautious.

ReputationRep:
    scandalous !

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    A compact device in which to keep several books, and a dictionary for quick reference is more practical than carrying around a book case (especially when you go on holiday).

The ability to take notes (and simple highlights) which can later be easily transferred onto your computer is also practical, especially when compiling quotes and text when doing some sort of coursework.

ReputationRep:
    I heard something about amazonscribe in the run up to the new kindle release where a stylus would be provided with the kindles .. was actually looking forward to some kind of solution to replace class note taking.. but i guess it didnt pan out..

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.