Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steezy)
    I was referring to your single point that it's much harder to function on a night out on cocaine than alcohol, when in reality it's much easier.

Anyway, my personal view on the matter is that some drugs (mainly weed, shrooms, ecstacy) should be legalised and what I call "the crack head substances" (mainly cocaine, heroin, speed) should not.
    I wasn't making the point that it was harder to function on a night out, I was making the point that you can go on a night out and the next day function like a normal person, go to work even though you might have a hangover.

On a hard come down you can barely walk down the street without getting anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    You can't just generalise all drugs in one category though. Read up on Krocodil, no one in their right mind would even touch this drug, and it is only poor heroin addicts who can't afford heroin who use it. Crystal Meth as well I don't think should be legal.
    Krokodil is a perfect example of the health consequences of the utter crap which ends up in illegal drugs.
    The actual active chemical is not all that harmful, but the phosphorus, petrol and other rubbish which is in the concoction which they inject is what does the damage.

If addicts could just buy opiates or whatever at a pharmacy, they wouldn't be trying to manufacture them themselves in a dirty beer can using toxic ingredients.

I also don't buy the argument that any use of drugs leads to harder drugs and consequent addiction and crime.
    Most drug users don't end up that way, but you never hear about them as they aren't living under a bridge, or getting constantly caught by the police, they're being productive citizens just like everyone else, and you'd never know that they ever took it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    I wasn't making the point that it was harder to function on a night out, I was making the point that you can go on a night out and the next day function like a normal person, go to work even though you might have a hangover.

On a hard come down you can barely walk down the street without getting anxiety.
    I guess you're referring more to ecstacy now than cocaine?

I'm fine the morning after cocaine. The biggest problem is getting to sleep and therefore being tired the next day.

With regards to ecstacy, firstly if it were legalised, the potency could be controlled and the amount of **** in there (which makes the come down 10 times worse) taken out.

With regard to having all night binges on ecstacy & going to work the next day - Workplaces have their own rules and ethics regarding a person's appearance & ability to function. I wouldn't drema of going out drinking until 4am on a worknight because I'd most likely lose my job or get a very serious warning. Same applies to any other drug.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edd360)
    Cannabis should be made legal, I don't think any one will argue against that.

As for legalising other drugs, they should legalise at least mdma as well, as a going out alternative to alcohol. Not only is your night way better than with booze, mdma is also much safer than booze and is one of the safest drugs in general. I'm not that supportvie of mephedrone, speed or cocaine being made legal, if mdma is legal interest in other stims will probs lessen anyway.

I also think more research should be made on the 2c family of drugs, because wow they are just amazing, 2c-b in particular, and there has been no recorded deaths from their actual ingestion (there has been numerous deaths due to another drug under the name of 2c, but was not actually a 2c drug, again this problem wouldn't have happened if they were legal). Magic Mushrooms and LSD I think should also be made legal.

You can't just generalise all drugs in one category though. Read up on Krocodil, no one in their right mind would even touch this drug, and it is only poor heroin addicts who can't afford heroin who use it. Crystal Meth as well I don't think should be legal.

If you give people a good variety of the safe and fun drugs (eg; weed, mdma, magic mushrooms) the demand for other drugs will no doubtedly decrease, as people will be willing to settle.

I don't disagree with the logic as to WHY drugs like cannabis are currently illegal (if it's dangerous then make it illegal, sounds fair enough), they just have their facts completely wrong. There is no justifiable reason for cannabis to be illegal, so of course the government have to make **** up.
    yeah, this is basically what I think.

ReputationRep:
    All drugs if they have more of a bad effect on health and society should be banned, and there should be harsh sentences to go with those who take such drugs, and even harsher for those who smuggle drugs into the country.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you're referring more to ecstacy now than cocaine?

I'm fine the morning after cocaine. The biggest problem is getting to sleep and therefore being tired the next day.

With regards to ecstacy, firstly if it were legalised, the potency could be controlled and the amount of **** in there (which makes the come down 10 times worse) taken out.

With regard to having all night binges on ecstacy & going to work the next day - Workplaces have their own rules and ethics regarding a person's appearance & ability to function. I wouldn't drema of going out drinking until 4am on a worknight because I'd most likely lose my job or get a very serious warning. Same applies to any other drug.
    I just despise drug culture now after experimenting a lot. Nothing good comes of it. I hate the perpetual cycle of frying your dopamine and serotonin levels, being depressed for an entire week, and battling ups and downs.

With alcohol you can have a nice social drink, and in a single morning of eating a fry up and drinking some water be absolutely baseline normal to continue and have a productive day. You don't have to lie in bed all day nursing a come down and feeling like utter crap.

Nothing ever good came of me experimenting. I can say I have been there, done that, tripped and had experiences verging on ego death, but when I look back it was all a waste of time, I could have channeled energy into much more productive activities. I am glad I have experienced altered states of consciousness, but the majority of people just want to get utterly wrecked and don't value drugs in that way.

I did the majority of experimentation at university and luckily still came out with a solid degree, but at least I got it all out of my system.

I can't even have a joint anymore without huge paranoia and heart racing, and that is after being a daily smoker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    Herp derp.

Great, you can function well on cocaine, so can I. However, society can barely even manage with people going out on a Saturday night and getting pissed, can you imagine society substituting alcohol for a much more addictive and damaging drug such as cocaine? Responsible people are in the minority, most people wouldn't be able to control cocaine usage and end up rinsing their bank accounts and ruining their lives.
    Practically anyone can get coke with one phone call and a 30 minute wait... so what would the difference be? Unless you genuinely think that legality influences people's decisions about which drugs to try, which is unlikely. It obviously couldn't be sold like a pint would over the counter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    I just despise drug culture now after experimenting a lot. Nothing good comes of it. I hate the perpetual cycle of frying your dopamine and serotonin levels, being depressed for an entire week, and battling ups and downs.

With alcohol you can have a nice social drink, and in a single morning of eating a fry up and drinking some water be absolutely baseline normal to continue and have a productive day. You don't have to lie in bed all day nursing a come down and feeling like utter crap.

Nothing ever good came of me experimenting. I can say I have been there, done that, tripped and had experiences verging on ego death, but when I look back it was all a waste of time, I could have channeled energy into much more productive activities. I am glad I have experienced altered states of consciousness, but the majority of people just want to get utterly wrecked and don't value drugs in that way.

I did the majority of experimentation at university and luckily still came out with a solid degree, but at least I got it all out of my system.

I can't even have a joint anymore without huge paranoia and heart racing, and that is after being a daily smoker.
    If I drink I get massive depression the next day, I feel so sick I can barely move, and I feel rotten for a good 2 days. You're lucky you didn't get caught during your experimentation phase, like so many before and after you. Legality didn't stop you, it just had the potential to ruin your life even more than the drugs themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)

Look, I agree with you. I'm 23 so I've been there and done that as well. I have the odd spliff (maybe once every 2 months) and go halves on a G of coke maybe twice a year.

I knocked ecstacy on the head a while back because the come down wasn't worth it and I knocked K on the head due to a couple of scary experiences.

That doesn't mean that I believe people should be imprisoned for doing what they want to do. I also think that it's the most ridiculous thing to be prosecuted for taking shrooms or weed. They grow naturally ffs. You could argue that weed has a load of other ****e in it like chemicals, but if it were legalised, that wouldn't have to be the case.

The point isn't how much we personally like drugs, there are much more important issues to consider.

The benefit it would have on the economy, police force, prison system and public people's lives to legalise certain drugs is worth it, when really the only downside is that a few hundred people might take it too far (which happens anyway with alcohol).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Unless you genuinely think that legality influences people's decisions about which drugs to try, which is unlikely. .
    Like, seriously? The fact that people could instantly lose their jobs if caught, you don't think that might just possibly put people off?

ReputationRep:
    Look, I agree with you. I'm 23 so I've been there and done that as well. I have the odd spliff (maybe once every 2 months) and go halves on a G of coke maybe twice a year.

I knocked ecstacy on the head a while back because the come down wasn't worth it and I knocked K on the head due to a couple of scary experiences.

That doesn't mean that I believe people should be imprisoned for doing what they want to do. I also think that it's the most ridiculous thing to be prosecuted for taking shrooms or weed. They grow naturally ffs. You could argue that weed has a load of other ****e in it like chemicals, but if it were legalised, that wouldn't have to be the case.

The point isn't how much we personally like drugs, there are much more important issues to consider.

The benefit it would have on the economy, police force, prison system and public people's lives to legalise certain drugs is worth it, when really the only downside is that a few hundred people might take it too far (which happens anyway with alcohol).
    The thing is, I have never once even come close to being caught with drugs, ever. The vast majority of those reprimanded are dealers or people with huge amounts on them who obviously attract attention on the account of being sketchy as hell.

I am just not comfortable with drugs being freely available over the counter for people to buy. I make exception possibly for cannabis, but even that has its dangers because as a smoker I turned into a vegetable with extremely poor memory, concentration and a constant mental sluggishness.

I just can't envisage people being responsible if these sorts of substances suddenly became freely available to them. Call me a pessimist on human nature, but I really can't invest that sort of responsibility on mass public.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    Like, seriously? The fact that people could instantly lose their jobs if caught, you don't think that might just possibly put people off?
    I was primarily thinking of people who weren't in careers yet, like students (that is generally when most experimentation happens)... however cocaine abuse among those who work in institutions that will fire them if they get a criminal record is rife. For instance some large American owned banks. The main place I would agree it stops people using in is the police force (some of the time). Almost 50% of people have tried weed at least once, which suggests people only think about the perceived harm of a substance rather than the consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I was primarily thinking of people who weren't in careers yet, like students (that is generally when most experimentation happens)... however cocaine abuse among those who work in institutions that will fire them if they get a criminal record is rife. For instance some large American owned banks. The main place I would agree it stops people using in is the police force (some of the time). Almost 50% of people have tried weed at least once, which suggests people only think about the perceived harm of a substance rather than the consequences.
    Yeah, but there is a reason that the number of people who smoked weed increased dramatically when they downgraded its criminality.

Nonetheless, the main reason alcohol and tobacco are the two biggest drugs is ultimately down to legality. Legality defines accessibility, it strongly adjusts the incentives, and it even profoundly alters perceptions of both morality and safety.

Let us be in no confusion here, that legalising a drug would hugely increase the amount of people willing to try it. Sales would go up something like 1,000%.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but there is a reason that the number of people who smoked weed increased dramatically when they downgraded its criminality.
    Yeah, but thats just not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    When mephedrone was fully legal the amount of people using it was insane. Now it is illegal and harder to come by, its use has dropped dramatically even though there are still dealers selling it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    And how old were you in 2004 exactly?

ReputationRep:
    And how old were you in 2004 exactly?
    Not sure why that really matters, but i was a cannabis user prior to 2004

Where are you getting your figures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    Not sure why that really matters, but i was a cannabis user prior to 2004

Where are you getting your figures?
    Drugdealers-R-us. Their sales went up 50% over the course of that financial year.

where are you getting yours, the guardian? lol

ReputationRep:
    Drugdealers-R-us. Their sales went up 50% over the course of that financial year.

where are you getting yours, the guardian? lol
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluxD)
    The thing is, I have never once even come close to being caught with drugs, ever. The vast majority of those reprimanded are dealers or people with huge amounts on them who obviously attract attention on the account of being sketchy as hell.

I am just not comfortable with drugs being freely available over the counter for people to buy. I make exception possibly for cannabis, but even that has its dangers because as a smoker I turned into a vegetable with extremely poor memory, concentration and a constant mental sluggishness.

I just can't envisage people being responsible if these sorts of substances suddenly became freely available to them. Call me a pessimist on human nature, but I really can't invest that sort of responsibility on mass public.
    Hence the reason you legalise only one drug at a time, carefulyl control their strength, and reverse the process if it goes wrong. Start with cannabis, educate people on how to smoke it sensibly without going nuts, and if after a year (or two) everything is going ok, start legalising a few more drugs.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2011
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.